+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff Central Train Station Is Crap

Cardiff Central Train Station Is Crap

Considering the size of cardiff and its commute to work areas , central station is crap and far too small

Other major cities outside of london have large train stations , bristol , newcastle , liverpool , leeds

Cardiff basically has a few platforms and a toilet

Whole thing needs to be enlarged , cardiff is a very fast growing city and the place cant cope

It's no good doing up central square without a new station

Maybe the tories will give the welsh government a load of money as a thank you to all those welsh who voted tory and enable a new station to be built

Or are they just spending money up north ?

Re: Cardiff Central Train Station Is Crap

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Considering the size of cardiff and its commute to work areas , central station is crap and far too small

Other major cities outside of london have large train stations , bristol , newcastle , liverpool , leeds

Whole thing needs to be enlarged , cardiff is a very fast growing city and the place cant cope

Maybe the tories will give the welsh government a load of money as a thank you to all those welsh who voted tory and enable a new station to be built

Not sure how spending money on one of the few areas which stayed solid Labour would thank Tory voters

Cardiff has a train station ???????

Shirley not

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Not sure how spending money on one of the few areas which stayed solid Labour would thank Tory voters
    Huge drop in labour vote in wales at last election , if the valleys seats didnt have such a large majority half the country would be blue

Even bridgend went tory

Huge drop in labour vote in wales at last election , if the valleys seats didnt have such a large majority half the country would be blue

Even bridgend went tory
    Read somewhere, that Boris wants to overrule the decision on the M4 Newport relief road !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Read somewhere, that Boris wants to overrule the decision on the M4 Newport relief road !!!!
    The motorway is clogged

Something needs to be done

I am not sure a relief road is the answer

Plans are to increase train use from the east of cardiff with a new bristol parkway type station

Even bridgend went tory
    They don't matter, all that matters are the seats that turned blue, the ones in north Wales. Investing in South East Wales isn't a thank you as they didn't vote Tory, a thank you would be building something in Wrexham

Central handles 13 to 14 million passengers a year. Far too small. They need to expand into the former Brains site at the back and build some 'dead end' platforms for commuter trains coming in from the west side and free up the 'through' platforms in the main station. Won't happen though.

First Team

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49061910

What happened to this?

Under the impression that this was all financed and part of the metro scheme. They certainly could do with upgrading the ancient trains on the Llantwit to Cardiff run.

Cardiff has a train station ???????

Shirley not
    Yes next to the bus station

Quote Originally Posted by beakerboyblue View Post
    Yes next to the bus station
    Er....not any more, it isn't....

I don't understand why more weren't saying this when the proposal to move the tax office and BBC building to the city centre was first announced? Those extra people coming into town were always either going to i) drive, or ii) get the bus, or iii) get the train but we know that i) roads are already congested before moving these employment hubs and ii) the bus service is expensive and frequently stuck in congested traffic and iii) the train system to the city centre is overcrowded and the largest station in Wales is pretty small really.

Considering where it is there is little room to expand it so maybe best option was building a new one and having two midsize stations in the centre instead? Alternatively, recognising that no option of improving transport links to the city centre and creating another employment hub/several employment hubs around Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I don't understand why more weren't saying this when the proposal to move the tax office and BBC building to the city centre was first announced? Those extra people coming into town were always either going to i) drive, or ii) get the bus, or iii) get the train but we know that i) roads are already congested before moving these employment hubs and ii) the bus service is expensive and frequently stuck in congested traffic and iii) the train system to the city centre is overcrowded and the largest station in Wales is pretty small really.

Considering where it is there is little room to expand it so maybe best option was building a new one and having two midsize stations in the centre instead? Alternatively, recognising that no option of improving transport links to the city centre and creating another employment hub/several employment hubs around Cardiff.
    Its sheer stupidity

What on earth does the second rate bbc wales need a new headquarters for and why is it right in the middle of the city ? Same for the new tax office

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Er....not any more, it isn't....
    Except it should be if it wasn’t for the Labour Party

the reason for lack of work is down to Westminister not passing over the train tracks in Wales to transport for wales. Was suppose to happen 31 Jan 2020 but not heard it has happened. Think we will see new plans as well

Everything in the centre of Cardiff other than the Arcades and my beloved Cardiff City is dreadful, poorly managed ,no planning ,very little Independent retailers. Sold our sole to the corporations, top end of St Mary street is a disgrace, Queen Street has been allowed to turn into a poundsvile zone .

Remind me who has been in charge of all this progress.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Everything in the centre of Cardiff other than the Arcades and my beloved Cardiff City is dreadful, poorly managed ,no planning ,very little Independent retailers. Sold our sole to the corporations, top end of St Mary street is a disgrace, Queen Street has been allowed to turn into a poundsvile zone.
    No different to most cities, then.

Yep.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wal...in-south-wales

Perhaps we may see red wall Wales move to blue Tory like the shift in the North East of England ,there are similarities to be had in these two regions?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    No different to most cities, then.
    I've seen a greater independence existing in cities like Bath and Bristol

What like cribs causeway ?

In fairness, Bristol and Bath are more well off and have more affluent surroundings than Cardiff. Some of the top end stores in St Dai's 2 make me wonder if they ever make money.

Yep.

Perhaps we may see red wall Wales move to blue Tory like the shift in the North East of England ,there are similarities to be had in these two regions?
    The racist homophobic leader of the tory party speaking at the welsh tory conference throws out a soundbite

Feck me that's a surprise

Yep.

In fairness, the Tories have played some blinders in these areas. Councils - cut funding so that people think they're paying more for less and blame the local authorities. BBC - make people think the Beeb are responsible for over 75s losing their free TV licence. They're pretty good at making it look like problems are caused by others.

What like cribs causeway ?
    Central Bristol has many independent music venues, pubs etc. Cribs isn't really classed as a city centre more of a Mall, I visit the City a lot for business and pleasure .

Yep.

Cuts and lack of investment leading to support for party that has made those political decisions? It could well happen but bit like the bad guy in James Bond who kills people so his newspaper company can get the scoop on it.

There is a sign in Edinburgh that describes forward thinking several decades/hundreds of years ago has ensured city has developed in style that is very attractive to tourists and supports modern day living. Every time there is a new (now empty) "student" block go up makes me think of that sign. A lot of short-term decisions made within past 5-10 years and difficult to say how much is UK government lead and how much is limitation of Cardiff council, certainly there only seems investment in Wales when it benefits Bristol too/more.