+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your ideas about completing seasons

Your ideas about completing seasons

Ok seeing as no football happening for a while. What would you do regarding planning for next few years.

1st scenario , starts again middle of April

Lost about 4 weeks of football so would play out rest of season. With no euros and start season slightly earlier, with euros taking place following year.

World cup 2022 is not until winter so would be slight break.

2nd scenario what have heard until mid august
    Approximately 8-10 weeks of the season remaining
    (No transfer window open until season completes. November)
    Therefore current squad can either extend until end of the season or just go unpaid.
    Complete season.
    1/2 week break ..transfer window remains open now
    Minimise cup.formats Europa cl etc
    Get rid of the league 1 and 2 one.

Play until Jan/Feb 2 week break.play season straight into euros. Start season slightly later following year and then world.cup winter 2022.

Any other suggestions?

Cancel the season I would be happy with that as well,start again next year.
    Leeds stay down
    Liverpool don't win the league

Re: Your ideas about completing seasons

The more I think about the more complicated it looks. We're at the mercy of infection supposedly calming down by a specific point or getting a vaccine - apparently in late 2020. I'm not sure how impatient people will get and we'll probably be back in April but you'll only be allowed in dressed as an astronaut. Euros will almost certainly be next year; there are lucrative pre-seasons to take into consideration too.

If this goes on till August then they'll have to scrap this season.. tough on Liverpool and Leeds etc but tough.

Scrap half of next season not this.

Restart this season when it can safely be done, which will give Liverpool the title they deserve. Theres still 3 rounds of this season's FA Cup to finish aswell which can be done in the autumn with the Final before next years 3rd round date. The earlier rounds can start as normal in August.
    Play a half season starting Nov/Dec with only 1 promotion/relegation from each division.
    Back to normal in 21/22

I think they should all stripped of their points , and hold a huge five a side tournament per league , in the Dubai desert in the summer .

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    If this goes on till August then they'll have to scrap this season.. tough on Liverpool and Leeds etc but tough.
    Heartbreaking 🤣😂🍻

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post

Why Leeds? Their season was about to fall apart again from Sunday on as per tradition started by us!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Ok seeing as no football happening for a while. What would you do regarding planning for next few years.

1st scenario , starts again middle of April

Lost about 4 weeks of football so would play out rest of season. With no euros and start season slightly earlier, with euros taking place following year.

World cup 2022 is not until winter so would be slight break.

2nd scenario what have heard until mid august
    Approximately 8-10 weeks of the season remaining
    (No transfer window open until season completes. November)
    Therefore current squad can either extend until end of the season or just go unpaid.
    Complete season.
    1/2 week break ..transfer window remains open now
    Minimise cup.formats Europa cl etc
    Get rid of the league 1 and 2 one.

Play until Jan/Feb 2 week break.play season straight into euros. Start season slightly later following year and then world.cup winter 2022.

Any other suggestions?

Cancel the season I would be happy with that as well,start again next year.
    Leeds stay down
    Liverpool don't win the league
    Hold a 5-a-side tournament. All the remaining fixtures played out as five minute games, no over head height.

Just get it over with it

Cancel the Nations League and move the Euros back to 2021.
    This should give room to get games on and the season completed even if it has to be behind closed doors.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Cancel the Nations League and move the Euros back to 2021.
    This should give room to get games on and the season completed even if it has to be behind closed doors.
    There is no point in playing behind closed doors.

End the season now, call it void. No promotions, no relegations, just start over in August. The whole government strategy is to delay the peak so things arent going to be better in a few weeks. I would wait until after easter to announce the season is dead.

im also starting to fear that the reaction to this is going to be more damaging and deadly than the virus itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post

End the season now, call it void. No promotions, no relegations, just start over in August. The whole government strategy is to delay the peak so things arent going to be better in a few weeks. I would wait until after easter to announce the season is dead.

im also starting to fear that the reaction to this is going to be more damaging and deadly than the virus itself.
    The point is getting the season completed - which is the point of the thread.

If the season is declared null & void there’s going to be some very disgruntled fans and, on the other hand, some very relieved fans but I s’pose it wouldn’t be right to decide Championships, promotions & relegation on current standings. In a two legged cup tie the second leg is still played even if one team are 10-0 down. Best just to wait it out and then resume in my opinion, after all FIFA have set a precedent in f*cking about with seasons’ calendars with the timing of the Qatar World Cup, so it can be done.

Oh yes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Scrap half of next season not this.

Restart this season when it can safely be done, which will give Liverpool the title they deserve. Theres still 3 rounds of this season's FA Cup to finish aswell which can be done in the autumn with the Final before next years 3rd round date. The earlier rounds can start as normal in August.
    Play a half season starting Nov/Dec with only 1 promotion/relegation from each division.
    Back to normal in 21/22
    This is the best idea I've seen so far - make 20/21 a season where sides only play each other once - I'd prefer to see promotion and relegation as normal, but wouldn't complain if it was restricted to one or two sides per division.

Neither of the alternatives being talked about most seem fair to me - Liverpool would be denied a title that it there's in all but name if the season was declared null and void. On the other hand though, as someone who believes promotion should be earned, not presented to you when it's still up for grabs, and thirty odd games of relegation form should leave you with a price to pay, it must be wrong that sides like Oxford, Portsmouth, Fleetwood, Peterborough, Sunderland and Wycombe in League One be denied the chance to make up the three point deficit, or less, they have on second placed Rotherham when there are thirty plus points still to be played for with some of them. The same applies to sides like Exeter and Cheltenham in League Two who are three and four points behind Plymouth in the last automatic promotion place (Cheltenham have a game in hand) respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    This is the best idea I've seen so far - make 20/21 a season where sides only play each other once - I'd prefer to see promotion and relegation as normal, but wouldn't complain if it was restricted to one or two sides per division.

Neither of the alternatives being talked about most seem fair to me - Liverpool would be denied a title that it there's in all but name if the season was declared null and void. On the other hand though, as someone who believes promotion should be earned, not presented to you when it's still up for grabs, and thirty odd games of relegation form should leave you with a price to pay, it must be wrong that sides like Oxford, Portsmouth, Fleetwood, Peterborough, Sunderland and Wycombe in League One be denied the chance to make up the three point deficit, or less, they have on second placed Rotherham when there are thirty plus points still to be played for with some of them. The same applies to sides like Exeter and Cheltenham in League Two who are three and four points behind Plymouth in the last automatic promotion place (Cheltenham have a game in hand) respectively.
    I would scrap all cups- european included. Void 19-20 cups, scrap 20-21.

By playing two league games a week, a Premier league season can be done in just under 5 months.

This will give plenty of time this year for the virus to do its worst, and complete the final 10 games of 19-20. A short break in December- then 20-21 from Jan to May 21

Something will have to give- voiding this season I don’t see as an option.

The season should just be abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The season should just be abandoned.
    An easy thing to say for a fan of a team that is going to win nothing and has only a tiny chance of promotion.

Surely no decision can be made until the virus is virtually burnt out.

Could be 9 months . If so we play the season out and then maybe have a cup competition for the final 3 months of the season and start again for 21-22

Who knows ?

Good time now to kick back and concentrate on what’s important.

Right now I’m more worried about the health of the vulnerable people around us.

Hopefully after all this maybe people will appreciate the way of life we have a bit more.

The Euros will be postponed for a year. Then it depends on how CV pans out. Longer but with less impact is the government's preferred way forward. I can see the season extended with matches (2 a week) played until July/August, possibly behind closed doors initially. A short summer break with next season resuming later, into early September. That way every team gets to avoid relegation/be promoted. Sky and fans are sort of happy. Back on track by Christmas. CV will all be over by then. Just lurking and mutating for 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Could be 9 months . If so we play the season out and then maybe have a cup competition for the final 3 months of the season and start again for 21-22.
    I wonder how many professional football clubs such a scenario would bankrupt? I won't even pretend to have any answers, but I'm pretty sure that no games for 9 months would have a devastating effect on the game in this country.

The game has previously been suspended for lengthy periods due to the outbreak of wars, but it was a completely different financial model in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Surely no decision can be made until the virus is virtually burnt out.

Could be 9 months . If so we play the season out and then maybe have a cup competition for the final 3 months of the season and start again for 21-22

Who knows ?

Good time now to kick back and concentrate on what’s important.

Right now I’m more worried about the health of the vulnerable people around us.

Hopefully after all this maybe people will appreciate the way of life we have a bit more.
    I very much doubt this virus will be burnt out in 9 months.

They need a vaccine and that seems to be a year away minimum.

Let's assume that the Euros will be cancelled. That frees up the summer for games, but it would mean there's going to be the problems with players' contracts expiring (end of June), loan deals running out, etc.

The sensible thing would be to allow clubs to play games behind closed doors IF THEY WANT TO, starting straight away. So if they can arrange a game with the opposition, and both sides are happy, then it goes ahead. Some big teams have played in empty stadium in the Champions League and Europa Cup this week, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for 'smaller' clubs, and every game played that way removes a fixture from the backlog.

Then when (and if) the ban is lifted, the clubs have a month to play out their games. Two games a week should see it done. If they'd managed to play a few 'closed door' matches, then it shouldn't be too hard.

Settle it with hooligan dustups - each club has their "crew" fulfill the fixture by a meetup.

Most will either die from fighting or from coronavirus so it'll be a win-win.

Lots of teams seasons have realistically ended already. Knock-out play-off games to be held between the rest to decide champions league, promotion and relegation; postpone Euros til next year; and award Atletico Madrid Champions League as lineal champion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    An easy thing to say for a fan of a team that is going to win nothing and has only a tiny chance of promotion.
    Exactly. Dispassionate and with clarity. It's for the greater good.