+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A Simple answer?

A Simple answer?

To coronavirus, football situation if season is cancelled
    Top 2 as of now promoted from National league upward
    No relegation this season but instead of 3 from PL & EFL bottom 5 relegated from next season to bring numbers back to what they are now. Promotions would be back to as they are now.

Re: A Simple answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    To coronavirus, football situation if season is cancelled
    Top 2 as of now promoted from National league upward
    No relegation this season but instead of 3 from PL & EFL bottom 5 relegated from next season to bring numbers back to what they are now. Promotions would be back to as they are now.
    EPL clubs will all lose much-needed revenue as a result of there being fewer teams in the division for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    EPL clubs will all lose much-needed revenue as a result of there being fewer teams in the division for the season.
    Wouldn’t be fewer teams, PL would have 22 for the season, and EFL have the same as now only losers would be those who would be play off winners, then relegate Bottom 5 in PL and promote top three from Championship and then relegate and promote Clubs pro rate.

Pep and Klopp will go nuts having to play more games!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Wouldn’t be fewer teams, PL would have 22 for the season, and EFL have the same as now only losers would be those who would be play off winners, then relegate Bottom 5 in PL and promote top three from Championship and then relegate and promote Clubs pro rate.
    Won't the National League be denuded of two teams?

Won't the National League be denuded of two teams?
    That wasn’t the point you made though was it?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    That wasn’t the point you made though was it?
    I didn't read you message properly, that's true. But won't the same principle apply a few divisions down?

I’m not too sure about awarding promotion to teams that haven’t earned it yet. Leeds would have been promoted instead of Sheffield United if this was applied at this stage last season.

How about no promotion nor relegation but every team is credited at the start of next season (assuming there is one) with the number of points they’ve achieved so far this season, so start it in the same positions.

Cancel all this years results .

Start again next year with same squads from zero .

No transfers in the summer .

If those top teams are that good , they would be a good position to replicate the year with all injured players returning even fitter and rested .

End of season live recordings of Leeds and Liverpool fans in turmoil

Is there a sub-conscious need on here to get to next season as quickly as possible? What's wrong with a delay? If it means shunting the next few then what's wrong with that? It'll catch up eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Is there a sub-conscious need on here to get to next season as quickly as possible? What's wrong with a delay? If it means shunting the next few then what's wrong with that? It'll catch up eventually.
    My system allows for that. Season can start at any time up to this time next year as it’s essentially just an extension of this season. Fixture list would require a bit of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    My system allows for that. Season can start at any time up to this time next year as it’s essentially just an extension of this season. Fixture list would require a bit of thought.
    It seems in your system that technically no-one would be promoted for 83 games. Why not just play the remaining 9 as and when, and just start again when they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    It seems in your system that technically no-one would be promoted for 83 games. Why not just play the remaining 9 as and when, and just start again when they can.
    It depends on when the season starts.

You could do it that way too. Would you schedule another break after 9 games and play-offs to allow teams to prepare to start in new divisions, complete transfers, rework contracts etc? That would mean promotion/titles/relegations potentially being awarded after even less games next season wouldn’t it, or does the season just continue until all the games are completed?

bin this season, chalk it up to a practise to next years

can you imagine the liverpool fans

It depends on when the season starts.

You could do it that way too. Would you schedule another break after 9 games and play-offs to allow teams to prepare to start in new divisions, complete transfers, rework contracts etc? That would mean promotion/titles/relegations potentially being awarded after even less games next season wouldn’t it, or does the season just continue until all the games are completed?
    I'd say the latter. If we restart in the autumn (or even January) then they could play out the end of the season, have a two week break and begin the new one, perhaps. Anyone signed in the meantime would be okay to play in the 19/20 part. It's not ideal but after a break of many months and trying to play catch up I'm not sure another break of a month or so for a transfer window would be feasible.

Then we'd have a few seasons featuring some summer football until the whole thing gets straight again.

All something of a shambles but the bottom line for me is that they play the remaining games and see this one out, whenever it is. It'll avoid a sour feeling and probable litigation. If they go around cancelling seasons it could also have an adverse effect on attendances - people might start to think it's all meaningless and a waste of time.

Assuming the pandemic is over by July, let the poor darlings play 3 games a week every week in August and clear the back log. They would have had 4 months off by then. Simple answer. Or play the back log later if necessary and move the end of next season on.

There’s a winter World Cup in 2022. Could finish this season in August/September and change the season to play through the summer.

I didn't read you message properly, that's true. But won't the same principle apply a few divisions down?
    I don’t believe the economics are that vital that a couple of games less when you get to the 6th, 7th and 8th tiers are going to send a club with attendances in the hundreds into financial ruin

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I don’t believe the economics are that vital that a couple of games less when you get to the 6th, 7th and 8th tiers are going to send a club with attendances in the hundreds into financial ruin
    After forgoing income due the virus I am pretty sure that some clubs will go to the wall and having fewer games next season won't help.

I’d let this one go if I were you. You’re often smart but on this occasion probably not

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Assuming the pandemic is over by July, let the poor darlings play 3 games a week every week in August and clear the back log. They would have had 4 months off by then. Simple answer. Or play the back log later if necessary and move the end of next season on.
    It's not just being poor darlings. Contracts expire at the end of May. The Brighton CEO (or some other high up position) was talking about this on the radio.

I don't see how they can promote or award trophies to anyone when the season wasn't completed.

For me the only option is to delay next season. Will probably cause disruption for a few seasons but its the right thing to do.

Voiding leagues or promoting some based on an incomplete season just results in legal action.

How about no promotion nor relegation but every team is credited at the start of next season (assuming there is one) with the number of points they’ve achieved so far this season, so start it in the same positions.
    That's a the best suggestion I've read so far.. And also extend parachute payments for 12 months.

It recognises this seasons efforts and results, doesn't disrupt transfer windows, teams can't complain about it being unfair and players are not at risk of injury by cramming in games.