+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boris Johnson

Re: Boris Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yes that is a good thing but it is for the Government to then make tough decisions. If I was an independent pub owner I would be very unhappy that Johnson is telling people to avoid the pub but not actually closing them down. So pubs will lose trade and won’t be able to claim off their business interruption insurance for loss of profits. If they were closed down by the Government they could claim for their loss of profits under their insurance policy.
    On Sky News now some Insurance body saying even if Government had mandated pubs etc to close they would have been unable to have claimed for loss of trade unless they had a specific type of Force Majeur trade insurance specifically covering the threat of pandemics! Grief, how many of us read the small print?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What do you think isn't accurate in that article? It's just summarising this if you want to read the whole thing - https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf

People need to stop looking at this from a partisan perspective, any government that handle it this way deserves criticism.

The way they're still handling it, especially with not closing the schools and only "advising" business to close so there's no insurance/help is ridiculous.

Riots and a recssion before the end of the year.
    That Imperial College report must have come as a shock to you then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    On Sky News now some Insurance body saying even if Government had mandated pubs etc to close they would have been unable to have claimed for loss of trade unless they had a specific type of Force Majeur trade insurance specifically covering the threat of pandemics! Grief, how many of us read the small print?
    No doubt the insurance companies will be inundated and scuttling round reviewing their T's&C's as we type.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    No doubt the insurance companies will be inundated and scuttling round reviewing their T's&C's as we type.
    Yes they'll be working overtime on it I'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    There is every need. It is all these people who vocally proclaim they know better, with no qualification to prove itand no reasoned step by step alternative, who cause panic and mistrust amongst ordinary people
    I don’t know better but there are many scientists and indeed the WHO who do know better so get off your high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I don’t know better but there are many scientists and indeed the WHO who do know better so get off your high horse.
    Who is to say which expert knows better???

I've heard comments from experts on both side who all have impressive sounding job titles and qualifications and sound equally knowledgeable.

How do I (or you or any lay person) know who us right?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post

I've heard comments from experts on both side who all have impressive sounding job titles and qualifications and sound equally knowledgeable.

Fair comment. I won’t argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post

You use critical thinking by looking at what evidence has come before and who the "experts" are. We can't be 100% sure but we can make informed judgements.

And what do you mean from both sides? This isn't a partisan issue.

Johnson's emergency reaction.

Can you please stop going to the pub?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    The following clarifies hopefully - though I doubt it's sufficient for the usual few on here :

The Association of British Insurers said standard policies did not include forced closure by the authorities.

So, for most businesses, they would not have been entitled to compensation, even if the government had ordered them to close.

A spokeswoman for the association said: "Irrespective of whether or not the government order closure of a business, the vast majority of firms won't have purchased cover that will enable them to claim on their insurance to compensate for their business being closed by the coronavirus."

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The following clarifies hopefully - though I doubt it's sufficient for the usual few on here :

The Association of British Insurers said standard policies did not include forced closure by the authorities.

So, for most businesses, they would not have been entitled to compensation, even if the government had ordered them to close.

A spokeswoman for the association said: "Irrespective of whether or not the government order closure of a business, the vast majority of firms won't have purchased cover that will enable them to claim on their insurance to compensate for their business being closed by the coronavirus."
    "Vast majority"... How many is that? Even if 5% of all businesses in the UK had the 'correct' cover but are now facing the prospect of going under because of this, isn't that 5% too many?

A mate of mine described Johnson’s desperation to be Premier as a dog madly running after a bus but when he caught it he didn’t have a clue what to do with it.

I was just thinking how history can bite us in the arse! Isn't it just weirdly ironic that Johnson claims his hero and role model to be Winston Churchill and now he is at the forefront of his own war but one which might prove much more difficult to fight. This might be his defining moment in history. If he could have possibly known this was coming I wonder if he would have craved the PM job so much.

He looks completely out of his depth

He should take time out , look after his pregnant wife ......its obviously very worrying to be pregnant at this time .......and let the scientific and medical experts take over

Hes a public school boy , born with a silver spoon in his mouth and he should go back to writing books

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He looks completely out of his depth

He should take time out , look after his pregnant wife ......its obviously very worrying to be pregnant at this time .......and let the scientific and medical experts take over

Hes a public school boy , born with a silver spoon in his mouth and he should go back to writing books
    That may well be correct, I don't get to see his announcements live, but this is an unprecedented event that hasn't happened in our lifetime and people need IMO to offer solidarity, we do not have access to the advice he gets from the experts, it must change on an hourly basis, listening to his direction in the car coming home, he was flanked I believe by the scientific and medical experts, he is faced with something that how many prime ministers have been faced with in the past ?, we have no idea what the hell this is, the measures being taken should surely alert us to that it is not just a bad mutation of the flu, the current death count doesn't warrant 3/4 of the world being shut down, like many I'm at an increased risk from this, if not already being done, the cobra meetings or whatever they do, should be across the political parties with the opposition leaders involved (perhaps they already are) there will be plenty of times to kick him in the doubries and I would/will, but I don't think now it is what is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    How? Are you not watching the briefings at all?

The CMO and CSO have been very reassuring, the fact Boris has left the talking to them is a good thing.
    My thoughts exactly I've watched and listened to each one , i'm not a fan of the man , but what else does he have top say or do , if anyone things hes making this up on the hoof they deluded or driven by hatred of the man .

Love to know who folk would want up on the rostrum in these times

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He must secretly be thinking ‘Why oh why did I get myself involved in this Prime Minister malarkey? While doing a massive
    Him and Trump. It's a difficult, demanding and thankless task, and they're both narcissists. I don't think either of them thought it through. Which is their wont I suppose

I don't really get the "let's not politicise this" argument.

Some of the key reasons we elect politicians is that we entrust them with our economic and physical welfare and a degree of faith that they will make the correct judgements on our behalf during their time in office compared with the alternatives.

They are often called to account during their time in office and the way that they manage that crisis often impacts how they are subsequently viewed:

Thatcher was struggling politically but the way that she managed the Falklands Crisis set her on the way to two further electoral victories but then decided that a Poll Tax was a good way to manage local taxes:

Major never recovered from Lamont and Black Monday as we left the ERM;

Blair's aurora vanished when he decided to follow Bush into Iraq rather than listen to the views of his party and the country;

Bush never recovered from looking down on the floods in New Orleans from Air Force 1;

Brown got swallowed up by the 2008 Financial Crisis and regardless of the measures that were put in place to mitigate where most observers thought were correct in retrospect, got swallowed up by the consequences.

Why shouldn't Johnson be judged politically, fairly or unfairly, for how he managed things during his time in office?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    How? Are you not watching the briefings at all?

The CMO and CSO have been very reassuring, the fact Boris has left the talking to them is a good thing.
    My thoughts exactly I've watched or listened to each one , I'm not a fan of the man , but what else does he say or do , if anyone thinks he's making this up on the hoof ,or has a know perfect plan to copy , they are deluded or simply driven by hatred of the man .

Love to know who folk would want up on the rostrum in these times as they are simple mouthpieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Out of the EU, UK, America, China & Japan, Ursula's lot are in the worst position, and actually he gave his medical taskforce 10/10 for rebuilding the response system, as the previous one was not fit for purpose
    The bit that I don't get is why if the EU is in such a bad position is why the Pound has depreciated against the Euro by 6% in the last few days?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I don't really get the "let's not politicise this" argument.

Some of the key reasons we elect politicians is that we entrust them with our economic and physical welfare and a degree of faith that they will make the correct judgements on our behalf during their time in office compared with the alternatives.

They are often called to account during their time in office and the way that they manage that crisis often impacts how they are subsequently viewed:

Thatcher was struggling politically but the way that she managed the Falklands Crisis set her on the way to two further electoral victories but then decided that a Poll Tax was a good way to manage local taxes:

Major never recovered from Lamont and Black Monday as we left the ERM;

Blair's aurora vanished when he decided to follow Bush into Iraq rather than listen to the views of his party and the country;

Bush never recovered from looking down on the floods in New Orleans from Air Force 1;

Brown got swallowed up by the 2008 Financial Crisis and regardless of the measures that were put in place to mitigate where most observers thought were correct in retrospect, got swallowed up by the consequences.

Why shouldn't Johnson be judged politically, fairly or unfairly, for how he managed things during his time in office?
    Fair point Cyril at which my only rebuttal would be, that the above points you make, possible outcomes could have been foreseen with a bit more knowledge of previous lessons (war always brings death and destruction) leaving the ERM was going to be a monetary consequence for most as was the financial crises, Johnson is faced with an unknown, where does it go next, how many will it affect etc. etc. He will not get a pass from me (I have plenty of axes to grind with him and his party) but for this event we are in uncharted territory in modern times. I think i understand why people would want to lump on, the fact that my wife still works WASPI (makes me fkin evil about him and his party(and that's just for starters!!) but on this and at this moment I will hold back until more is known about what has gone on, this may not come out in my lifetime.