+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meanwhile in America , they are queuing.......for guns

Re: Meanwhile in America , they are queuing.......for guns

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    There are a lot of very thick British people too and French and German. There are also lots of very intelligent Americans. I agree I don't think generalising helps.

The problem with a lot of americans isn't their intelligence it's the propaganda that's spread about guns.
    What propaganda is spread about guns? Americans have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms. Until that changes, there's nothing that can be done to stop them.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean?

America spreads a lot of propaganda about guns, from the government to the NRA, how is that generalisaing anyone?
    Do you mean lobbying?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Do you mean lobbying?
    Do you think the NRA don't spread propganda? They even have paid twitter and facebook ads spreading it.

Any time there's a terrorist attack or a riot etc the NRA pump out target ads for owning a gun. It's mad.

I don't know what the right to bear arms has to do with it really, just because they're allowed to doesn't mean it's a good thing how normalised owning one can be.

Do you think the NRA don't spread propganda? They even have paid twitter and facebook ads spreading it.

Any time there's a terrorist attack or a riot etc the NRA pump out target ads for owning a gun. It's mad.

I don't know what the right to bear arms has to do with it really, just because they're allowed to doesn't mean it's a good thing how normalised owning one can be.
    It's not normalized. It's normal. It may seem weird as **** to you and me, but I can assure you, to America it really isn't.

As for people queue up to buy guns, if you are the type of person that believes that you may need a gun to defend yourself and your property then it would be completely logical to purchase a gun at this time.

If you mean propaganda about the reasons to own a gun, you need look no further than the current administration. Fear is their biggest hit.

If you can't see the relevance of the 2nd amendment, you're not seeing things clearly. Expecting everyone to agree with you is naive. If guns were legal in the UK, people would queue up to buy them tomorrow.

I shouldn't imagine someone posting "Americans are thick" would have the same repercussions. Besides, there a difference between "ALL Muslims are terrorists" and "Americans are thick". The second statement is technically true. There are some Americans that are thick.
    Not gonna get involved in one of these long drawn out, boring thread arguments. My point was, is that sweeping generalisations are both lazy and misinformed. As simple as that. If you disagree, then that’s your choice. Have a good day NYCBlue 👍

It's not normalized. It's normal. It may seem weird as **** to you and me, but I can assure you, to America it really isn't.

As for people queue up to buy guns, if you are the type of person that believes that you may need a gun to defend yourself and your property then it would be completely logical to purchase a gun at this time.

If you mean propaganda about the reasons to own a gun, you need look no further than the current administration. Fear is their biggest hit.

If you can't see the relevance of the 2nd amendment, you're not seeing things clearly. Expecting everyone to agree with you is naive. If guns were legal in the UK, people would queue up to buy them tomorrow.
    Everything you say is totally accurate. His perspective is I believe based on naivety (perhaps ignorance). I understand how that can be the case but when you live and work in North America you come to realise that the whole thing goes so much deeper than that. I class 10’s of Americans as close personal friends, and about 50% of them own hand guns. None of them are thick.

Call it cultural, call it their rights as Americans, call it what you will, but there is always more than 1 version of the truth

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Not gonna get involved in one of these long drawn out, boring thread arguments. My point was, is that sweeping generalisations are both lazy and misinformed. As simple as that. If you disagree, then that’s your choice. Have a good day NYCBlue 👍
    He was agreeing with you... just gave more perspective

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Everything you say is totally accurate. His perspective is I believe based on naivety (perhaps ignorance). I understand how that can be the case but when you live and work in North America you come to realise that the whole thing goes so much deeper than that. I class 10’s of Americans as close personal friends, and about 50% of them own hand guns. None of them are thick.

Call it cultural, call it their rights as Americans, call it what you will, but there is always more than 1 version of the truth
    The general public owning guns is nuts and you'll never change my mind.

I can see why they do it, some out of fear of others having guns and this fear is driven even more by propaganda from the NRA and government lobbiest.

I can understand why Americans want to own guns,that doesn't mean it's a good thing though.

I don't think anyone who owns a gun is thick, I never said that.

The problem with a lot of Americans is their propaganda? That’s about as generalised as the ignorant ‘thick’ comment
    Again I'm still sturggling to understand this, do you not think there is pro gun propaganda in the US?

I spent 2 years living in North America too btw

Again I'm still sturggling to understand this, do you not think there is pro gun propaganda in the US?

I spent 2 years living in North America too btw
    Your language made no sense. Read your exact words... you said the problem with lots of AMERICANS is their propaganda, which later changes to the NRA...

Look hard enough and generalise broadly enough and you’ll always be able to spout some rhetoric.

I realise from previous exchanges that you’re not a person who sees both sides of a debate too easily, but that’s fine too. Let’s agree to disagree

Your language made no sense. Read your exact words... you said the problem with lots of AMERICANS is their propaganda, which later changes to the NRA...

Look hard enough and generalise broadly enough and you’ll always be able to spout some rhetoric.

I realise from previous exchanges that you’re not a person who sees both sides of a debate too easily, but that’s fine too. Let’s agree to disagree
    The problem with a lot of americans isn't their intelligence it's the propaganda that's spread about guns.
    This is what I said and I stand by it, there is nothing wrong with the american people but with the propaganda that's spread about guns there's no wonder so many people think they need them.

You will never convince me that the general public being able to buy guns so easily is a good thing. There are stats to back this up I'm happy to discuss that all day.

There is an argument that hunting rifles and the like should be allowed but even that should be regulated.

There's an argument thatthe genie is out of the bottle in regards to gun ownership so the "good guys" need guns as well as the bad guys, but even that is a long and nuanced argument.

I'd be interested to know which of this you disagree with and why?

I wasn't aware we'd ever discussed anything before, if I'm honest I don't recognise your username, but it looks like you are out for an argument when I don't even think we've disagreed on anything.

This is what I said and I stand by it, there is nothing wrong with the american people but with the propaganda that's spread about guns there's no wonder so many people think they need them.

You will never convince me that the general public being able to buy guns so easily is a good thing. There are stats to back this up I'm happy to discuss that all day.

There is an argument that hunting rifles and the like should be allowed but even that should be regulated.

There's an argument thatthe genie is out of the bottle in regards to gun ownership so the "good guys" need guns as well as the bad guys, but even that is a long and nuanced argument.

I'd be interested to know which of this you disagree with and why?

I wasn't aware we'd ever discussed anything before, if I'm honest I don't recognise your username, but it looks like you are out for an argument when I don't even think we've disagreed on anything.
    I’m not out for an argument at all. My point was largely about your debating style and use of language.

I don’t agree or disagree with anything you’ve said - I just acknowledge that there are well established different perspectives.

I may have misinterpreted your use of the ‘problem with lots of Americans’ ... just felt like it was massively sweeping in it’s generality.

The other time where I’ve observed your intransigence was around your extreme stance on all tories - that was months ago though. I couldn’t care less about that or your stance on guns by the way.

As for the thick comment, you’ll notice that was a point I’d made earlier in the thread in response to another generalisation.

Stay safe

I had a relative in Pennsylvania (sadly deceased a few years ago) who owned a rifle, but no hand gun AFAIK (there may have been one hidden somewhere of course). She and her husband were neither thick or total redneck hang 'em, shoot 'em types. However they were completely and genuinely astonished that us Brits were not allowed to own hand guns at least for self defence in our own homes. When told that we could be prosecuted if we used unreasonable force against an intruder, their incredibility went off the scale!

I’m not out for an argument at all. My point was largely about your debating style and use of language.

I don’t agree or disagree with anything you’ve said - I just acknowledge that there are well established different perspectives.

I may have misinterpreted your use of the ‘problem with lots of Americans’ ... just felt like it was massively sweeping in it’s generality.

The other time where I’ve observed your intransigence was around your extreme stance on all tories - that was months ago though. I couldn’t care less about that or your stance on guns by the way.

As for the thick comment, you’ll notice that was a point I’d made earlier in the thread in response to another generalisation.

Stay safe
    What language have I used here that's offended you?

I agree there are lots of different perspectives and I can understand how Americans hold them, I imagine if you've been brought up thinking having a gun keeps you safe you would definitely want to own one.

I was arguing that Americans aren't stupid. I don't know how you could read that one line and think I was saying the opposite.

That's my stance on tories, there's a history to back it up. What do you disagree with on that?

Just want to point out that what I meant by normalised. The culture and history means owning a gun is normal to Americans (it's been normalised).

Do you think that makes it a good thing?

What language have I used here that's offended you?

I agree there are lots of different perspectives and I can understand how Americans hold them, I imagine if you've been brought up thinking having a gun keeps you safe you would definitely want to own one.

I was arguing that Americans aren't stupid. I don't know how you could read that one line and think I was saying the opposite.

That's my stance on tories, there's a history to back it up. What do you disagree with on that?
    At the risk of sounding repetitive I don’t agree or disagree with any of your points of view. That’s because they’re your points of view.

I’m not offended in any way... you should get over that 🤣. I don’t think you are representing a balanced perspective but I’m not offended.

On the thick thing, I’ve already explained that it was referring to a previous post earlier in the thread, although I’m beginning to question that now?🤣

Just want to point out that what I meant by normalised. The culture and history means owning a gun is normal to Americans (it's been normalised).

Do you think that makes it a good thing?
    I took "normalizing" to be the act of making something not normal appear normal. And to answer your question, no, I don't think it's a good thing at all. I think a law that allows this nation to be flooded with guns is HUGE mistake. But it's the law and a constitutional right of Americans. That's not to say it can't be amended, but I don't think that is the will of the people. Certainly not those who vote anyway.

When you say you lived in North America, did you live in the USA? Which state?

Reminded of the family guy scene https://youtu.be/RpeUznIhgLU

Guns don't kill people, they kill viruses!

So let's wait for the first mass shooting when someone forgot what they should be aiming at!

But it's OK, guns don't kill people!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Americans are thick. Some want us to be more like them.
    All of them?

I took "normalizing" to be the act of making something not normal appear normal. And to answer your question, no, I don't think it's a good thing at all. I think a law that allows this nation to be flooded with guns is HUGE mistake. But it's the law and a constitutional right of Americans. That's not to say it can't be amended, but I don't think that is the will of the people. Certainly not those who vote anyway.

When you say you lived in North America, did you live in the USA? Which state?
    What's your view on all Americans are thick not my thought just wondered what your thought on this matter is , as there some very derogatory remarks on these and another threads?

Taken a while but I think its four now!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    What's your view on all Americans are thick not my thought just wondered what your thought on this matter is , as there some very derogatory remarks on these and another threads?
    Do I think all Americans are thick? Of course not.