+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Confirmed update on Peter Whittingham - Wednesday March 18th

Confirmed update on Peter Whittingham - Wednesday March 18th

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51928263

Former Cardiff City and Aston Villa midfielder Peter Whittingham is in hospital with head injuries.

The ex-England Under-21 international suffered the injuries after an "accidental" fall in a pub in Barry.

"At around 10pm on March 7, South Wales Police were called to a licensed premises in Barry," a statement read.

"A 35-year-old man from Penarth suffered a head injury as a result of a fall and remains at the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff."

The South Wales Police statement continued: "At this stage there is no evidence or suggestion of a criminal act, and it appears the injury was caused by an accidental fall.

"Enquiries are continuing into the circumstances of the incident."

Whittingham, started his career at Villa, where he played more than 50 league games and won 17 England Under-21 caps.

He joined Cardiff for £350,000 in 2007 and established himself as a club legend with 459 appearances and 98 goals before leaving in 2017.

Whittingham then moved to Blackburn Rovers, before leaving a year later.

But it is with Cardiff the stylish left-footed playmaker is most closely associated.

In his 10 years with the club, they reached the 2008 FA Cup final, 2012 League Cup final and won promotion to the Premier League in 2013.

Whittingham was a huge fans' favourite at Cardiff, scoring numerous spectacular long-range goals which helped earn him a place in the EFL's team of the decade for 2005-2015.

A Cardiff statement read: "We'd like to thank the football community for their messages in support of Peter and his family.

"All of our thoughts are with them, as we ask for their privacy to be respected at this time."

Re: Whitts official

Please, please, please, in these awful times, let’s hope Peter ends up bringing us good news.

Hopefully get well soon Peter

Great news get well soon Whitts the legend

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Please, please, please, in these awful times, let’s hope Peter ends up bringing us good news.

Hopefully get well soon Peter

Fingers crossed he recovers.

Lovely player, one of our best, and always seems lovely guy.

It goes without saying that every decent football supporter in the country will be hoping Whitt’s can pull through. At least he is still alive.

The best news I've heard all week.

Keep hanging in there Peter, many praying for a full and speedy recovery

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The best news I've heard all week.

Keep hanging in there Peter, many praying for a full and speedy recovery
    yes, that is much better news … thoughts go to his family in these troubled days…!

Get well Whitts. Thoughts and very best wishes with you and your family!

A genuine legend for Cardiff on the pitch and one of the good guys off it.

Can we just stop using the word 'official ' whether it is or not.
    Yesterday I had people on Facebook telling me 'its official, I've been told on good authority '.

Only Whitts could deliver the true meaning of Easter.

Thrilled and hoping he makes a full recovery and finally gets his testimonial match.

Heisenberg

Finally, some good news (in the grand scheme of things).

Such good news.

Why someone felt the need to start this rumour off is beyond me. Far too many people also desire to be in the know so badly. Such a horrible thing to do.

Amazing news....I was really down hearing he had passed yesterday.

This doesn't take the story any further forward but the "confusion" seems to have made the national press.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...death-rumours/

Too many people (including family) I know have passed away in the last 6 months. That Whitts is still with us is the best news for a long time. The guy is a good un. Sincere hopes that he pulls through.

Some of his classic free-kick goals in that clip! At one time you could almost be 100% certain he would score from those positions.

Love whitts ...come on whitts

The news that he is still alive is indeed a great relief in these uncertain times. I appreciate he is still in a critical condition and I'd like to add my best wishes to Peter during his struggles.

He is one of my favourite ever players for Cardiff and his sheer ability gave me many moments of joy that I appreciate even more in hindsight. I hope he pulls through and goes on to make a full recovery.

Like Heisenberg I hope to see Peter play again in his testimonial.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    The news that he is still alive is indeed a great relief in these uncertain times. I appreciate he is still in a critical condition and I'd like to add my best wishes to Peter during his struggles.

He is one of my favourite ever players for Cardiff and his sheer ability gave me many moments of joy that I appreciate even more in hindsight. I hope he pulls through and goes on to make a full recovery.

Well said.

Let's hope and wish that Whitts can get through this and make a recovery. Thoughts are with his family living this nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post

Yes, well said.