+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terry Phillips - apology

Re: Terry Phillips - apology

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It's human nature.
    Is it?

about 60 or 70 of us yesterday made right tw@ts out of ourselves.
    we should know better by now
    wait for a proper announcement

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Nor do you.

Word of the accident didn't travel at the time...

Again, every journalist knows you don't base any story on a single source...
    WB stoically defending someone who worked in mainstream media against accusations that he spread fake news using a single source.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    about 60 or 70 of us yesterday made right tw@ts out of ourselves.
    we should know better by now
    wait for a proper announcement
    You and others didn't - paying respects based upon what you thought to be true.

You and others weren't the ones disseminating lies to pretend to be "ITK".

Nor do you.

Word of the accident didn't travel at the time...

Again, every journalist knows you don't base any story on a single source...
    I've never said Philips was right to publish, but the accident did happen and word of it travelled to Phillips.

I've never said Philips was right to publish, but the accident did happen and word of it travelled to Phillips.
    If he'd just reported an accident had happened, then there's no issue due to that being, you know, true.

Claiming he died on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    WB stoically defending someone who worked in mainstream media against accusations that he spread fake news using a single source.
    I'm not defending anybody you dickhead. Take your shit elsewhere.

I'm not defending anybody you dickhead. Take your shit elsewhere.
    Excusing it is the same as defending it.

Excusing it is the same as defending it.
    I was commenting on the claim that Phillips based his story on "crap written by attention seekers". A very serious accident occured and Peter is now fighting for his life.

I was commenting on the claim that Phillips based his story on "crap written by attention seekers". A very serious accident occured and Peter is now fighting for his life.
    A very serious accident occured and Whitts is in a bad way agreed.

Attention seekers wrote crap that Whitts was dead and that's what El Tel based his fantasy tale on.

Whoever gave Philips his info has either stitched him up or is an attention seeker, or takes information from other attention seekers. It's pretty difficult to declare a person dead when they aren't. Unless you're an idiot.

A very serious accident occurred and Whitts is in a bad way agreed.

Attention seekers wrote crap that Whitts was dead and that's what El Tel based his fantasy tale on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He doesn't have to shut his blog down, why do people want some kind of retribution? He's just been very stupid, he should know better than anyone not to trust bullshit written by attention seeking inadequates.
    Agree, don't shoot the messenger! He made an elementary journalistic error which he says was induced by his own personal feelings of shock, grief and respect. Short of the mark in journalistic terms but hardly a hanging offence.

The man's apologised for his mistake, let's leave him alone and be grateful he got it wrong in the first place, whilst earnestly hoping this poor fella recovers completely?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Agree, don't shoot the messenger! He made an elementary journalistic error which he says was induced by his own personal feelings of shock, grief and respect. Short of the mark in journalistic terms but hardly a hanging offence.

The man's apologised for his mistake, let's leave him alone and be grateful he got it wrong in the first place, whilst earnestly hoping this poor fella recovers completely?
    Might help if he apologised on twitter too, where he promoted his story. He seems to have accidentally forgotten to do so...

Whilst I'm sure he has genuine well wishes for Peter and his family. It appears he was more concerned about getting the scoop.

In his apology, he said he had "been told from a very reliable source connected to Peter", so his source wasn't random attention seekers on the internet.
    I suppose its about how one judges a reliable source , a journalist of many decades of experience should really have known better , surely that is part of the training , if it was a young inexperienced blogger ,wet behind the ears ,wanting to be first to the story , I could better understand this mistake .,it still smells of ,I'm first to report this story line type of moment ,I could be wrong it just appears that way ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I suppose its about how one judges a reliable source , a journalist of many decades of experience should really have known better , surely that is part of the training , if it was a young inexperienced blogger ,wet behind the ears ,wanting to be first to the story , I could better understand this mistake .,it still smells of ,I'm first to report this story line type of moment ,I could be wrong it just appears that way ??
    I don’t think you are wrong !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Whilst I'm sure he has genuine well wishes for Peter and his family. It appears he was more concerned about getting the scoop.
    You have no way of knowing that.

I fell for it like a few others because I thought the story had come from a reliable source, but I'm shocked that Terry didn't make sure he was right before putting it out. I'm no journalist , but having written a piece for the blog about Whitts straight after reading the story in Dai Sport, I decided to delay putting it out until there was further confirmation - I did something similar with Chris Barker and I don't think there is anything clever in that, it just seemed obvious.

It took me about three quarters of an hour to write my tribute to Whitts and it was a great pleasure to have it confirmed this morning that it was all a complete waste of time.

I followed the timeline closely yesterday as I’m self isolating and had plenty of time on my hands.

It started with the tweet from Adam Brown who just said he had heard he was in a bad way and wished fir a speedy recovery. Then the ITKers on the other board started posting that they’d had texts that the news was much worse but they couldn’t say what. As soon as someone actually suggested that he had dyed those same people were then saying that they’d known for hrs from someone that works in ICU but it wasn’t there place to say originally but they could confirm that he’d died yesterday morning. I urged all my friends posting the news to hold back because there was nothing official and I was getting PMs saying it was definitely true because they had close mates in the hospital etc!

To be fair to Mike he closed gown all discussion on the subject yesterday morning due to lack of confirmation unlike **** who was revelling in the number of hits on his board!

There's some proper virtue signalling on this board at times, but this thread takes the biscuit. Bloke made a mistake and fronted up to it. We move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    There's some proper virtue signalling on this board at times, but this thread takes the biscuit. Bloke made a mistake and fronted up to it. We move on.
    Agreed,

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Nothing really!!

How would you feel if someone wrote that someone close to you had died, when it wasn’t so ????

I repeat, “it is up to the family”
    I would be annoyed and upset and then when they apologised I'd accept that that's enough and the matter's over. Not sure why it isn't enough for you as a stranger on the internet

Everybody makes mistakes. When you work in the media you have to walk a thin line between 100% accuracy and time to "press". His posts and eulogy replete with personal reminisces gave credibility that Whitts had passed, enough to convince people on here who would otherwise be sceptical.

Surely you have to be utterly convinced that someone is dead before you do this kind of thing.

He's an established journalist who has a responsibility to get things right, especially someone dying. Nobody wants him to burn in hell and i'm sure that he feels pretty low about it, and he's apologised, fair enough. People can criticise for piss poor journalism and judgement as we do with plenty of current City players on their performance in a professional capacity.