+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: RIP Peter Whittingham -- Tribute Thread

Re: RIP Peter Whittingham -- Tribute Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBluebird View Post
    I don't think I can add much more to this thread apart from saying -

Little cluster of five yellow shirts in the box.....

WHITTINGHAM

The crack against the post

OHHHHH - IT'S BRILLIANT
    The fans erupt

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    118 minutes into a hard fought Cup Final and we get a corner. Corners are overrated; on average they don't yield many goals, but Whitts steps up and sends in a cross that causes bedlam in the Liverpool defence and Kiss strikes but Kuyt clears off the line - another corner. So Whitts just sends another one in - an identical cross that can't be dealt with and cue pandemonium.

Strange to remember a corner (or two) when there were so many other special moments but it showed his reliability, poise, technical excellence and knack for shrugging in the face of pressure. We needed something in a fevered moment and he delivered. And after that, again up against it but in the shoot-out, he passes one in like he's over the park. Maybe my mind is clouded by sentiment but I can't of many like him. He seemed to wonder what all the fuss was about, that it was a crazy old world but nonetheless got on with it and delighted many. Cruel that the world is now one short of this attitude.
    Nice post.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    Met him once in Ba Orient down the bay.

It was a Saturday evening and he just scored a cracking free kick.

He was so nonchalant about it, just preferring to have a quiet drink.

As good as he was, it was just his day job - he didn't believe he was special or gifted or better than anyone else.

#7 - a proper role model

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    The fans erupt
    Been looking for the last few days for the Bill Leslie commentary of that goal from Sky - and it must be deleted.

Here's the best I can find https://youtu.be/UVJ-tqrLxiE

What a player

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBluebird View Post
    Been looking for the last few days for the Bill Leslie commentary of that goal from Sky - and it must be deleted.

Here's the best I can find https://youtu.be/UVJ-tqrLxiE

What a player
    I was there for that game and it’s one of the craziest celebrations I’ve experienced. The stand was rocking. I don’t think anyone expected him to shoot. He fooled us all.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BNJcYNJl2QA

The best goal I’ve ever seen live... We were sat directly in line with the trajectory of the ball behind the goal

Re: RIP Peter Whittingham

Sad very news about Peter. He was an honest and talented player who always gave his all whenever I saw him play. Too young for this to happen. Thought and prays go to his family and friends at this time. RIP Whitts'.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post

The best goal I’ve ever seen live... We were sat directly in line with the trajectory of the ball behind the goal
    No no, that's just the best goal EVER. I've often thought if a more high profile club had a player score that, people would never shut up about it.

I've said this since the day it happened. Also the best goal I've ever seen live.

I appreciate it's all too early to think clearly about a fitting tribute to Whitts, but I've never agreed with retiring numbers, I'd prefer the sense of 'ownership' of a number to be an inspiration to young players wanting to emulate a legend. I do think a statue and certainly naming a stand after Peter would be appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    I appreciate it's all too early to think clearly about a fitting tribute to Whitts, but I've never agreed with retiring numbers, I'd prefer the sense of 'ownership' of a number to be an inspiration to young players wanting to emulate a legend. I do think a statue and certainly naming a stand after Peter would be appropriate.
    My thoughts too.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    No no, that's just the best goal EVER. I've often thought if a more high profile club had a player score that, people would never shut up about it.
    I agree. I actually said the same thing in a group text to my wife and kids... all 6 of us were there that day.

This is a close 2nd (forget about Lawrenson’s commentary)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/football/51951513

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I've said this since the day it happened. Also the best goal I've ever seen live.
    It’s SUBLIME ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    I would prefer to see a stand named after him and/or a statue to match the Keenor one - but it is way too soon to really get into this and the club must make any decision with his wife and family at a time when they can deal with it. Not now.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I would prefer to see a stand named after him and/or a statue to match the Keenor one - but it is way too soon to really get into this and the club must make any decision with his wife and family at a time when they can deal with it. Not now.
    Good post

https://twitter.com/ViewFromTheNin/s...805331969?s=19

Bbmack said it best in the comments lol. "Only Whitts could put a tackle in the top right" .

That boy Whittingham really did do what he wants 🥺 Richard Shepherd didn't have a clue what was happening lol.

The area around womanby street where the netflix street art ad was placed and the big skull mural, would be a good location for a permanent Whitts mural. I imagine that would be easily organised and with very few objections.

Brighton have a good one of their ex captain Bruno, or at least did when he was there. Something like this would be another good way of immortalising Whitts.

RIP Peter.

Thanks for allowing me to fall in love with this club as a child. I will owe you this forever.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmt5gfmkhv...Wales.mp3?dl=0

Just adding Eric’s link here with all the other great stuff already in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    The area around womanby street where the netflix street art ad was placed and the big skull mural, would be a good location for a permanent Whitts mural. I imagine that would be easily organised and with very few objections.

Brighton have a good one of their ex captain Bruno, or at least did when he was there. Something like this would be another good way of immortalising Whitts.
    That would be the perfect tribute!

Calling on local artists!

This was the moment I realised what a special player he was. Thanks Whitts you'll be long remembered.

The game no one talks about - he had two assists as well. Swear if Darcy's goal had counted we won that lol.

Whittingham drills it in Chopra - CROOSBAR.

Whittingham, oh Chopra's found a little pocket of space - CHOPRA

Ledley, Whittingham - Ledley with a bursting run in behind - JOE LEDLEY

Then obviously can't watch the rest of the video

There's a nice Blakey's Bootroom podcast about Whitts out now - worth a listen.