+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RIP Peter Whittingham -- Tribute Thread

Re: RIP Peter Whittingham

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    That’s so weird, maybe we stood close to each other because I can remember exactly that scenario!
    It probably happened quite a lot! In some seasons, it seemed like he was scoring worldies every other week.

A provider of memories all of us will remember forever. He will go down in City folklore.

RIP Whitts.

Just gutted,RIP all my thoughts are for his family and friends.

Just so sad. Saw that he was dead, and then he wasn't and then there was hope. And then he was.

Not really a consolation for your family, but you were the most naturally gifted player I saw at the City. Thanks for all the good times.

Horrible news.
    Tribute from Ramsey quoted online :
    “I will forever be grateful for you taking me under your wing. You were one of the most technical and gifted players I’ve played with and that left foot of yours was like a wand. I’m proud to have played alongside you and will always remember the young vs old games and you just running the show. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family, rest in peace Whitts was too young.”

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Definitely. Retire the shirt and name the Ninian Stand after him before we resume!
    So very sad. A brilliant footballer and a legend for many of us fans. Worse, we will not have a chance to show our feelings at his funeral, which because of Covid-19 will be a private family gathering.
    To name a stand in his name would be appropriate and may give a chance to express our feelings at the naming ceremony.
    As a Trust member I ask the Trust Board to raise this with the CCFC Board so that we can give this exceptional footballer of ours a permanent place in our memories and at our stadium

Nothing to add than he was one of the very best I've seen in a City shirt .

I started watching in the 70's.

Such a gifted player , easily the greatest dead ball player we've ever seen .

Penalties were always going in, keepers knew that as well .

Thanks Whitts x

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

One of the best, thanks for everything Peter

His autobiography was the one I most wanted to read. It wouldn't be so much a Peter Whittingham story as Cardiff City's over a 10(ish) year period where so much was going on and so many of the better memories were created, or finished, by Whitts. Thoughts with his family and friends.

Absolutely gutted, I've not stopped crying. Strange how you react isn't it.

My all time favourite player, still remember the noise of the ball cannoning in off the post at Leicester away, think it was a play off game.

Life is very cruel and very short, so raise a glass, say a silent thank you for the memories and remember we are here for a good time not a long time.

RIP Whitts

My favourite city player of all time. It’s gonna take something to knock him off that pedestal. He brought a lot of joy to many a city fan’s life.

Thoughts and prayers with his family, having to go through this amongst all the current doom and gloom.

Wherever he is, I hope he’s pinging ‘em in with the best of them and celebrating sheepishly.

RIP WHITTS

Very sad, way too young. Condolences to family and friends

So very sad, my thoughts and sympathy go out to the family of Peter Whittingham. An absolute gem of a player for Cardiff. Rest in peace Whitts.

This has hit me hard. I was glued to the City throughout his tenure and really enjoyed watching him play. So casual, so understated, and yet probably the best midfield player in the league year after year. He was just class and he was ours. I mean truly ours in a sense that rarely occurs in modern football. A club icon. What a lovely football player and a humble one at that.

Gutted.

Whitts you made me happy when skies were grey I will never forget you as long as I walk this earth.
    RIP my friend and thanks for the memories.

Hopefully the club with name the Canton Stand after him.

Its a shame he never had a testimonial, so that is the next best thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Whitts you made me happy when skies were grey I will never forget you as long as I walk this earth.
    RIP my friend and thanks for the memories.
    So so sad, devastated when I heard the news, sometimes words are just not enough
    Thanks Whitts for the memories

Once a Bluebird legend always a Bluebird legend
    RIP

We’ve had some dark times recently and for this to happen to Peter you feel this club is cursed.He was my favourite player of all time,he got you excited by us having a free kick outside the area,you knew his corners were gonna be whipped in with pace on the keeper and when we had a penalty you knew it was going in,you never worried and what a lovely passer of a ball he was.
    He was such a modest player and so laid back I think that is why we loved him so much.
    God bless you Peter 💔

I have felt sad about the passing of footballers I've liked in the past, but I don't ever remember crying until today.

Whitts was the embodiment of a fan's dream of a perfect Club player. Loyal, talented and loveable. I was hoping that when he felt ready to return to the game that he'd end up back at the club in some capacity, and at the very least we'd have a chance to thank him for all the memories in a testimonial match.

I share ccfcwelshlad's anger that the last time I saw him was seeing the hurt on his face when he was taken off early in the last home game he played for us. I was really hoping to erase that memory - now I never will and I selfishly feel devastated to be left with that final memory of him on the pitch after he'd given us his career and those goals.

Thank you Peter for the memories you gave my son and I. We genuinely will never forget you. I hope your family and kids are able to take some comfort from knowing how loved you were.

The Peter Whittingham Grandstand?

RIP Whitts.

Part of the furniture, always.

He joined the club in 2007 when I had not long turned 15 and left the club 10 years later as my favourite ever player.

It was unbelievable that he stayed so long, and something that I can’t see ever happening again here. Someone may come close to a decade here but I don’t think we will ever see a scenario where someone who is clearly too good for us over the course of 4-5 seasons stays up put.

The seasons under Dave Jones he was great, the season where he scored 20+ from midfield and 10+ assists alongside it was a joy to watch. Moving into the Malky era and he played more central and still dominated games. The season we went up under Malky it felt like we were going to score every time we had a corner as they were impossible to defend.

There are the obvious memories of Leicester, Boro etc but you only have to go on YouTube to see some of the goals he scored, ridiculous strikes that he’d embarrassingly shrug at. I genuinely think every goal he scored oozed class, he made penalties nonchalant, would stick a free kick in from 30 yards without breaking sweat.

He will go down as Cardiff’s best ever player for me. I am sure older fans may have their own but for anyone around my age of 28, I would imagine it’s Whittingham. Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times by chance and he was every bit the gentleman you’d imagine. It’s not hard to see why tributes have poured in from all over.

Hope the club organise a fundraiser for a statue. It’s never been more deserved.

RIP Peter and thoughts with your family. Devastating news. Was me and my boys favourite player in his time and he still has his ‘Peter bear’ teddy