+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RIP Peter Whittingham -- Tribute Thread

Re: Whitts RIP - Confirmed Wales Online

Whitts wasn’t just one of our greatest ever players, he was one of the nicest people I’ve had the pleasure of knowing. A true gent on & off the pitch

He gave us some of the greatest moments being a Cardiff fan. A wand of a left foot.

Here's to you Peter Whittingham, City loved you more than you would know 💙

Re: RIP Peter Whittingham

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    He joined the club in 2007 when I had not long turned 15 and left the club 10 years later as my favourite ever player.

It was unbelievable that he stayed so long, and something that I can’t see ever happening again here. Someone may come close to a decade here but I don’t think we will ever see a scenario where someone who is clearly too good for us over the course of 4-5 seasons stays up put.

The seasons under Dave Jones he was great, the season where he scored 20+ from midfield and 10+ assists alongside it was a joy to watch. Moving into the Malky era and he played more central and still dominated games. The season we went up under Malky it felt like we were going to score every time we had a corner as they were impossible to defend.

There are the obvious memories of Leicester, Boro etc but you only have to go on YouTube to see some of the goals he scored, ridiculous strikes that he’d embarrassingly shrug at. I genuinely think every goal he scored oozed class, he made penalties nonchalant, would stick a free kick in from 30 yards without breaking sweat.

He will go down as Cardiff’s best ever player for me. I am sure older fans may have their own but for anyone around my age of 28, I would imagine it’s Whittingham. Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times by chance and he was every bit the gentleman you’d imagine. It’s not hard to see why tributes have poured in from all over.

Hope the club organise a fundraiser for a statue. It’s never been more deserved.
    Beautifully put SB

Thoughts with family and friends. We were lucky to have enjoyed your contribution to our history

2016-09-26 00.55.17.jpg

Horrible.

You were and will always be, many people's favourite. A special player and a special person.

Rest in peace Whitts.

Thank you for all of the memories. I will think of you often <3

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I have felt sad about the passing of footballers I've liked in the past, but I don't ever remember crying until today.

Whitts was the embodiment of a fan's dream of a perfect Club player. Loyal, talented and loveable. I was hoping that when he felt ready to return to the game that he'd end up back at the club in some capacity, and at the very least we'd have a chance to thank him for all the memories in a testimonial match.

I share ccfcwelshlad's anger that the last time I saw him was seeing the hurt on his face when he was taken off early in the last home game he played for us. I was really hoping to erase that memory - now I never will and I selfishly feel devastated to be left with that final memory of him on the pitch after he'd given us his career and those goals.

Thank you Peter for the memories you gave my son and I. We genuinely will never forget you. I hope your family and kids are able to take some comfort from knowing how loved you were.
    ...I cried too...and I don't cry

I came across this video earlier. It wasn't made by a Cardiff fan, but just goes to show the esteem that Peter Whittingham was held in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-4gqUpc_iY

I've never worshipped the players down the city as I've always thought the club as a whole was much bigger than any individual.
    So many of them mercenary and they would move on for a few dollars more.
    Whitts was different he was Cardiff City to me and I was proud to have him represent my club.
    So many happy memories watching him in what was the best year's this club has ever seen in my lifetime.
    Proper choked me up this has and I don't mind admitting it.
    On top of his footballing genius he was a beautiful humble man that didn't want any fuss as well. Rest in peace Peter I will always cherish your days at Cardiff

So so sad , He Never got the send off he deserved and that really gets to me RIP Whitt’s a bluebirds legend thoughts with the family

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I remember seeing on Twitter recently a post of all his 98 goals for the club; I thought that I'd saved it but obvs hadn't and I'd really like to watch it now......

Does anyone have it?
    ..bobby..you'll find it on youtube

Most good players have scored some great goals but how many have scored as many great goals as Whitts? Not many beyond the very top tier. He seemed to do it with ease. The ball landed at his feet 25 yards from goal - you would bet on him scoring. A free kick on the edge of the area - he could put it wherever he wanted. I once went for a p!ss when we were awarded a penalty because I knew what the outcome would be. A true City legend. Understated and modest. Good bloke too. Thoughts are with his young family. So, so sad.

Myself and my family, had the privilege of being Peter’s shirt sponsors, in the first season he was with us.

The photo taken at the end of season presentation, has always taken pride of place on my bedside cabinet.

Peter, was one of life’s good guys and we as fans must all feel very proud that he chose our club to show his talents.

We all got a favourite goal or moment to remember Peter by, but my two are the hat-trick at Sheffield United and the goal on a sunny day in the play off semi final at Leicester.
    Even though I’m deaf, I can still hear the sound of the ball clipping the post on the way into the net. What memories !!!!

Oh, St Peter, just remember, this other Peter “does what he wants”,

RIP, one of, if not, the finest player to wear a Cardiff shirt.

I’ve seen and contributed to many a thread like this, but this one is very different.
    I can actually feel the hurt and grief in every poster in it.
    Peter was without doubt in my mind, the best player I’ve seen down the City, since I started going in the late 70’s.
    He had everything you could ask for in a player.
    Sublime skill, superb ball control, super cool head, lovely unassuming fella.
    For him to be with us for 10 seasons, was a gift for us all.
    I don’t agree with retiring the shirt, because many former City no 7’s have also given their all for the club, even if they weren’t as good as Peter.
    He has, though, got to have something put in place at the club, so his memory is preserved.
    My favourite Peter Whittingham memory, has to be Boro away in the 2008 FA cup Qtr final.
    IMO, the best away performance by a City team I can remember.
    Everything about that day was special for me.
    Us, a mid table championship team, playing Boro a struggling Premiership team managed by a man destined to go on to be England’s manager.
    They had a £16m striker playing up front, but we ran them ragged. Whitt’s sublime goal, followed by RJ’s goal to wrap it up, and the tremendous performance of the emerging Aaron Ramsey.
    The atmosphere on the concourse at half time, and in the stand at full time was the best I’ve ever been involved in.
    RIP Peter.

I watched the 98 goals vid on YouTube - he scored from everywhere - inside the box, with his head, but most of his stunners came from outside.

I'm sure some statto can come up with analysis of how many he scored from outside / inside / pens / free kicks etc I bet it's an amazing record.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    I watched the 98 goals vid on YouTube - he scored from everywhere - inside the box, with his head, but most of his stunners came from outside.

I'm sure some statto can come up with analysis of how many he scored from outside / inside / pens / free kicks etc I bet it's an amazing record.
    I too watched it and thought similar.
    His yardage per goal has to be up there.
    Phenomenal quality in a very high percentage of goals.
    Even the low range ones had quality about them.

I echo many people, it was a priveledge he chose Cardiff City to weave his magic

Absolutely heartbreaking.
    A wonderful man, on and off the pitch.
    RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post

One thing I realised from that video was that he was a good header of the ball as well to go alongside all of his other skills.

Been watching his goals. For me the greatest player we have when take into account longevity, success, talent and loyalty.

He needs to have his legacy captured so his family can see the regard he was held in.

94 goals
    34 outside the box
    14 free kicks
    27 penalties scored

I would expect he assisted as many goals as he scored.

Re: Whitts RIP - Confirmed Wales Online

Awful news this.

I'll remember him as a wonderfully gifted footballer, the ability to make things happen with his classy left foot. Also a great set piece master and a terrific penalty taker.

RIP Peter

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    One thing I realised from that video was that he was a good header of the ball as well to go alongside all of his other skills.
    I’ve always classed him as a winger and down the years we have had some very good ones, Peter King, Barrie Jones, Peter Hooper who in his one season with us scored 24 goals, bettered by Whitt’s 25 the only wingers to have scored over 20 goals in a season but for longevity he stands way above the rest and would definitely make an all time City Xi.

Re: RIP Peter Whittingham -- Tribute Thread

Hearing the awful news of the tragic death of Peter Whittingham has left this City fan stunned. What an absolute tragedy. My condolences and prayers go to his wife Amanda and his family who have to try to come to terms with this impossible news.

As a player he gave City fans so much pleasure, scoring ridiculous goals with consummate ease. He was, in the correct sense, a true Cardiff City legend.

During his decade at City I nicknamed him, ‘Dick,’ after the pantomime character, Dick Whittington. But he was not confined to displaying his talents at the lower end of football's pantomime leagues; rather, when at his prime he made even the best look leaden-footed. Towards the end of his City career, true age was beginning to catch up with his legs, but still he was capable of exquisite skill. His loyalty to us and his humility toward all he met were the hallmark of greatness. He will always be remembered as a true gent, a true sportsman and a true Cardiff City legend.

RIP: Peter ‘Dick’ Whittingham. May your memory be a blessing.

I trust the attached clip will bring back some of Peter’s sublime talents and ridiculous goals to our thoughts.

https://youtu.be/gqIN__uBXW8

118 minutes into a hard fought Cup Final and we get a corner. Corners are overrated; on average they don't yield many goals, but Whitts steps up and sends in a cross that causes bedlam in the Liverpool defence and Kiss strikes but Kuyt clears off the line - another corner. So Whitts just sends another one in - an identical cross that can't be dealt with and cue pandemonium.

Strange to remember a corner (or two) when there were so many other special moments but it showed his reliability, poise, technical excellence and knack for shrugging in the face of pressure. We needed something in a fevered moment and he delivered. And after that, again up against it but in the shoot-out, he passes one in like he's over the park. Maybe my mind is clouded by sentiment but I can't of many like him. He seemed to wonder what all the fuss was about, that it was a crazy old world but nonetheless got on with it and delighted many. Cruel that the world is now one short of this attitude.

Feedback

Met him once in Ba Orient down the bay.

It was a Saturday evening and he just scored a cracking free kick.

He was so nonchalant about it, just preferring to have a quiet drink.

As good as he was, it was just his day job - he didn't believe he was special or gifted or better than anyone else.

#7 - a proper role model

Whitts turns up at the gates of heaven and walks straight in, ignoring St.Peter. He does what he wants.

I don't think I can add much more to this thread apart from saying -

Little cluster of five yellow shirts in the box.....

WHITTINGHAM

OHHHHH - IT'S BRILLIANT