+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let’s get physical

Let’s get physical

Our local doctor’s surgery has started doing medical checks when you reach 55. Mine revealed high blood/sugar levels and high chloresterol. Not dangerously high but I need to get them down. The best way is physical exercise. So on the treadmill tonight for the first time in three years.

Jogged a very slow 2:26 miles in 30 minutes but it’s a start.

Re: Let’s get physical

If anyone wants to post about their physical exertions on here it would be good. Sludge excepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    If anyone wants to post about their physical exertions on here it would be good. Sludge excepted.

oh dear

Our local doctor’s surgery has started doing medical checks when you reach 55. Mine revealed high blood/sugar levels and high chloresterol. Not dangerously high but I need to get them down. The best way is physical exercise. So on the treadmill tonight for the first time in three years.

Brisk walk for longer is just as good.

Great post , look after your gut contents and your gut will look after you and your body

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/..._a_healthy_gut

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Brisk walk for longer is just as good.
    I walk the dog but the nurse pretty much dismissed that saying I needed to get my heart pumping and needed to be sweating. So time to get back on track.
    Besides it’s a bloody dreadful time. Personally it’s been awful and I know how upset posters on here will be about today’s news. So I feel the need to try and do something positive.

I walk the dog but the nurse pretty much dismissed that saying I needed to get my heart pumping and needed to be sweating. So time to get back on track.
    Besides it’s a bloody dreadful time. Personally it’s been awful and I know how upset posters on here will be about today’s news. So I feel the need to try and do something positive.
    I walk a brisk 4 laps of my apartment block (it's roughly the distance of a standard size running track) and jog the final 5th lap.
    I hope to gradually increase the number of laps I jog, I only started doing it about 3 weeks ago.

Condolences to you and your family for the loss of your father. I meant to post earlier.

Have a brisk 40 minute walk most mornings before starting work. Stick in the plugs and listen to an episode of ‘In Our Time’. Good exercise for body and mind

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I walk a brisk 4 laps of my apartment block (it's roughly the distance of a standard size running track) and jog the final 5th lap.
    I hope to gradually increase the number of laps I jog, I only started doing it about 3 weeks ago.

Condolences to you and your family for the loss of your father. I meant to post earlier.
    Thanks. Like you I am hoping to increase what I am doing. Was a bit cautious last night but still sweated towards the end. How long does your brisk walk/jog take? The nurse emphasised I should be doing thirty minutes exercise every day. I will struggle to do that but if I can do thirty minutes three times a week plus walk the dog a couple of times each week then that should get my blood/sugar and cholesterol levels down.

Sorry Pearcey I missed that. Very sorry for your loss.
    Can we just start 2020 again please?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Sorry Pearcey I missed that. Very sorry for your loss.
    Can we just start 2020 again please?
    Thanks RFG. Don’t be daft. No need to say sorry. I mentioned it as a passing comment a few days ago. Fully agree about restarting 2020. It’s been miserable.

I normally play 5 a side 3 times a week. Thats now been stopped for the forseeable future from yesterday.

Got a gym membership with a local private gym. Im not going to cancel it but theres no way im using a gym at the moment.

Went for a run yesterday. Fresh air hills much better than a treadmill( normally use them regularly)

Got bench dumbells kettle slam balls in the garage. Dont get the same motivation as in the gym but will get in there. There s going to be feck all else to do soon.

It's a good start, well done😊

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Have a brisk 40 minute walk most mornings before starting work. Stick in the plugs and listen to an episode of ‘In Our Time’. Good exercise for body and mind
    Do you listen to 'Thinking Allowed'? It's terrific.

Slight improvement today running 2:39 miles in 30 minutes.
    I know there are a lot of posters of a similar age to me. It’s worth getting yourselves a health check. I will have another in just under five years when I hit 60. They told me I am currently at 7% risk of a heart attack in the next five years. They worry if it hits 10% or more.

It has certainly made me realise I need to be a lot more active.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Do you listen to 'Thinking Allowed'? It's terrific.
    Not currently but will have a listen

my mate in work is 58,his training routine is 8 to 10 cans of bow a day,best worker in the factory even the youngsters cant compete with him.it's all in the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogersblue View Post
    my mate in work is 58,his training routine is 8 to 10 cans of bow a day,best worker in the factory even the youngsters cant compete with him.it's all in the mind.
    His mind might be fine but his liver might not be.

His mind might be fine but his liver might not be.
    I’d stick to your doctor’s advice Pearcey.

mmmm...am 73 in July. Never smoked, always liked a drink in moderation. Never jogged in my life. Fortunately I seem to be healthy apart from taking a 5mg tablet each day for mild BP, since my wife died suddenly back in Jan 2011. My weight is pretty much what it was in my teens 9 albeit a bit over what it should be) My exercise? Gardening (your own or someone else's) - mowing the lawn, digging a vegetable patch etc. DOES get the heart beating faster, makes you perspire and exercises the muscles in the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    mmmm...am 73 in July. Never smoked, always liked a drink in moderation. Never jogged in my life. Fortunately I seem to be healthy apart from taking a 5mg tablet each day for mild BP, since my wife died suddenly back in Jan 2011. My weight is pretty much what it was in my teens 9 albeit a bit over what it should be) My exercise? Gardening (your own or someone else's) - mowing the lawn, digging a vegetable patch etc. DOES get the heart beating faster, makes you perspire and exercises the muscles in the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    All good.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

At 7.30 am it’s 30+degrees and I m sweating just standing still. Does that count

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    At 7.30 am it’s 30+degrees and I m sweating just standing still. Does that count
    No. You should be doing fifty press ups.

Saturday. Cant believe I havent had a pint.

If im not at the football normally in a pub at 11.45 have around 8 pints in the afternoon. (Only do this on a Saturday)

Just got in 8.5km run in the country fresh air.

Bottle of wine in the fridge though.