+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Whittingham Tributes?

Peter Whittingham Tributes?

Once the season gets going again there will undoubtedly be a minutes silence for him although seven minutes feels more appropriate. Probably also something at our Blackburn match.
    I’d like to see the club do something special to celebrate him at our last home match of the season.
    He was a family man. Maybe the family section should be renamed after him.

Re: Peter Whittingham Tributes?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Once the season gets going again there will undoubtedly be a minutes silence for him although seven minutes feels more appropriate. Probably also something at our Blackburn match.
    I’d like to see the club do something special to celebrate him at our last home match of the season.
    Whitts is not just another player who has died young.

He’s a two-time cup finalist, our 7th highest appearance maker, our 9th highest goal scorer, a championship winner and all round genius.

I’d be behind naming a stand after him

I think a statue or stand would be fitting. It is a nice touch retiring a shirt but will often be forgotten about, where as walking past a statue or sitting in the Peter Whittingham stand will certainly mean he is remembered more in my eyes.

Plenty of room around the stadium for a statue, and with the one of Keenor there already, it would be a nice touch to have statues of two people who made a significant contribution to the club nearly 100 years apart.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    I think a statue or stand would be fitting. It is a nice touch retiring a shirt but will often be forgotten about, where as walking past a statue or sitting in the Peter Whittingham stand will certainly mean he is remembered more in my eyes.

Plenty of room around the stadium for a statue, and with the one of Keenor there already, it would be a nice touch to have statues of two people who made a significant contribution to the club nearly 100 years apart.
    Agree with that.

Great idea and would be universally backed

I think statutes and naming stands is over the top......great servant though he was....I mean...why not Danny Malloy.......and several others over the years??

My favourite memory? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=simDhhSmM2Q

Not wishing to be flippant but in the light of Kevin McNaughton’s reminiscing about Whittingham’s dry sense of humour and one liners would ‘The Whitt’s End’ be inappropriate? Peter Whittingham certainly brought a smile to my face over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Whitts is not just another player who has died young.

He’s a two-time cup finalist, our 7th highest appearance maker, our 9th highest goal scorer, a championship winner and all round genius.

I’d be behind naming a stand after him
    He also played in one if not our most succesful era since the war. 6 of the seasons have been in the 20 most successful. During that time he's undoubtedly been our best player.

Not sure the going rate for a statue, he probably wouldn't have liked the fuss though.

A statue of him "celebrating" would be great. Or a stand named after him.

Has to have been the best player at the city since I've been going, doubt we'll have many players at the club for 10 years again.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    What a fantastic idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I think statutes and naming stands is over the top......great servant though he was....I mean...why not Danny Malloy.......and several others over the years??

You could go on for ever though putting forward old players names, perhaps Fred Stansfield is more deserving than Danny Malloy etc but Whittingham stands out for me, 2 Cup finals, Promotion, all his goals and his excellence in two of our home grounds but above all his down to earth humility after scoring some incredible goals which would have had me vaulting the stadium roof had I scored them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post

Other legends passed on with age.

Whitts went far too early and this is so much more upsetting especially as he leaves a young family.

A re-named stand or statue would be completely appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Not wishing to be flippant but in the light of Kevin McNaughton’s reminiscing about Whittingham’s dry sense of humour and one liners would ‘The Whitt’s End’ be inappropriate? Peter Whittingham certainly brought a smile to my face over the years.
    That would be awesome.

It’s fitting that he returned to the area after retirement, having played for the club for so long.
    I like the idea of a stand being named after him.

I try to be realistic and critical when it comes to something as significant as a Statue, as when do you draw the line ? However in this case I think he is more than deserving.

What made my mind up, is looking at the comments from rival clubs on social media, Bristol, Swansea, Norwich, Leicester, Nottingham, Leeds. I have seen fans from all these clubs and more commentating on how they always dreaded seeing him in our lineup, 'he used to run the show' 'always scored against us' ect.. ect..

Many Swansea fans have come out and said, the only Cardiff player I would loved us to have signed.

Also the fact he was voted in football league team of the decade, and 4-4-2 magazine voted him the best player outside the premier league.

While it is easy to get confirmation bias and echo chambers when it comes to discussing the significance of players within your own club to your own fans. The fact that someone who never looked for the spotlight, left such a significant impression in the wider community shows what a special talent he really was.

I am 100% backing a statue to stand alongside Fred, and can we please use the same sculptor, as he did a fantastic job.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Other legends passed on with age.

Whitts went far too early and this is so much more upsetting especially as he leaves a young family.

A re-named stand or statue would be completely appropriate.
    The fact that he died so early and leaves a young family, is not the criteria though, is it?

He is absolutely deserving of a statue. 100%.

His record and more so his loyalty to a club which was beneath his fantastic ability speak volumes. Players like Whitts come around few and far between, and should be remembered accordingly.

The Peter Whittingham Family Stand. Who could possibly object to that?

His number should be retired too.

The stand and or statue would be great

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    The fact that he died so early and leaves a young family, is not the criteria though, is it?
    Sorry not getting into a debate over this.

How long did it take to get a statue of Fred Keenor up? Considering concerns about finances currently it may be no quick thing to do. Family stand renamed after him would be my suggestion.

Stand, statue and number retired

Seeing as we haven't got a stadium sponsor why not make it the Peter Whittingham Stadium until someone stumps up to sponsor it ,and at that point a stand gets named permanently after him.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I like it.

We've got a statue outside the ground to commemorate the player who I think most would agree was Cardiff City's player of the first half century of their Football League existence, so why not have something like a stand naming to remember the man of the second fifty? As to who that is, even before what happened to him, that man would be Whitts for me.