+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: food banks

food banks

In these crazy times, we should not forget our local foodbanks

I went to pick up our local one's trolley tonight, just as i do every Friday, I have built a ramp and just wheel it into the back of my van ( saves me unloading it into boxes, time is money and all that ) and deliver it to the " office " for them, tonight it was almost empty, infact i didnt even bother to take the trolley, just filled 2 empty boxes, i popped back into the supermarket and grabbed a few boxes of cereal, what tins i could find and some multi-packs of Kitkats ( these were on offer for 1 quid ) to bulk it up a little

lets not forget them and chuck a item in as you go past

Re: food banks

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

I went to pick up our local one's trolley tonight, just as i do every Friday, I have built a ramp and just wheel it into the back of my van ( saves me unloading it into boxes, time is money and all that ) and deliver it to the " office " for them, tonight it was almost empty, infact i didnt even bother to take the trolley, just filled 2 empty boxes, i popped back into the supermarket and grabbed a few boxes of cereal, what tins i could find and some multi-packs of Kitkats ( these were on offer for 1 quid ) to bulk it up a little

This isn't unexpected, it's what happens when people get greedy and only think of themselves, the less well off and vulnerable suffer even more.

Great post are there other ways to help if you had no van I usually put stuff In the parked trolley in the supermarkets ?

Just found this link everyone help

https://cardiff.foodbank.org.uk/give-help/donate-food/

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    This isn't unexpected, it's what happens when people get greedy and only think of themselves, the less well off and vulnerable suffer even more.
    you are right, it just shocked me how empty it was, at christmas they had 2 trolleys full every week, which was a PITA for me, but all good for the people in need so i shouldnt moan

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Great post are there other ways to help if you had no van I usually put stuff In the parked trolley in the supermarkets ?
    I know our local one can always do with a hand sorting out the racks now and then, as most of them are older and struggle a little with heavy lifting

Good stuff Matt.

donated some food today where i work

All the local do gooders round here have stopped giving to the food banks who need them the most right now , and are too busy stockpiling for themselves

The local church lot are the worst , they couldn't do enough for the vulnerable a few months ago , now they dont bother , a lot of these just do things to make themselves feel better about themselves

The real good guys are out there now , virus or not

One of my mothers church mates visited just before xmas , she said she had just dropped off tins of food for the food bank , she then went on to say how she voted conservative at the election , I told her it was because of the conservatives cuts on welfare we had food banks use rising in the first place .

She didnt like that but sometimes you have to tell it like it is

I work in a food bank in Newport. The major problem is a lack of volunteers,I’ve had to self isolate as I’m in a group who have the flu jab every year as I have asthma/The lady who runs it is 75 she’s self isolated. There was one volunteer there today so its inevitable it will close next week. Other food banks have already closed.
    We are talking about people who use the food banks who have lost jobs,others sanctioned. Some yes are on the fringes of society and if given extra money will spend it on drugs drink.However, many just need extra money so they can shop in the normal way,
    This crisis is far bigger than food banks,The food bank system in Newport has collapsed in days.
    More financial help will be needed urgently to avoid social unrest.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    I work in a food bank in Newport. The major problem is a lack of volunteers,I’ve had to self isolate as I’m in a group who have the flu jab every year as I have asthma/The lady who runs it is 75 she’s self isolated. There was one volunteer there today so its inevitable it will close next week. Other food banks have already closed.
    We are talking about people who use the food banks who have lost jobs,others sanctioned. Some yes are on the fringes of society and if given extra money will spend it on drugs drink.However, many just need extra money so they can shop in the normal way,
    This crisis is far bigger than food banks,The food bank system in Newport has collapsed in days.
    More financial help will be needed urgently to avoid social unrest.
    i had a message today asking if i can or knew anyone who could spare a hour at the start of next week to move some stuff around and do some lifting of boxes, first time they have asked me to help doing that side of it since just before Christmas

Good for you for doing that mate

Im going in next week to do non client contact,Its a ****ing crisis.Packing bags

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Im going in next week to do non client contact,Its a ****ing crisis.Packing bags
    How's your food bank dude ? ? ? still running ? ? ?

some good news from Morrisons

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/30/morri...9XuPxsGqy53o-s