+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the Government's /any Governments' expectations of their citizens unrealistic ?

Are the Government's /any Governments' expectations of their citizens unrealistic ?

There have been many comments in the media and authorities commenting on the 'worst crisis since the War'. In terms of getting killed/dying, I have no doubt, and to live for months on end listening for the sounds of bombers heading your way must have been awful.

But in 1939 the one thing people had was 'community'. They still went to work to meet colleagues, they still packed out the pubs at night, they could meet new people, hug one another, go to the cinema,go to dances, even hunker down together at night in air raid shelters/ undergound stations.

We are being asked - possibly for the next 9 months - to keep everyone at a distance. No socializing, no meeting a new girlfriend/boyfriend, no having a drink together - keeping a distance between all but the nearest and dearest.

That's going to be hard for a week, even harder for a couple of weeks, and a month, and another, and another ?

Re: Are the Government's /any Governments' expectations of their citizens unrealistic ?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    There have been many comments in the media and authorities commenting on the 'worst crisis since the War'. In terms of getting killed/dying, I have no doubt, and to live for months on end listening for the sounds of bombers heading your way must have been awful.

But in 1939 the one thing people had was 'community'. They still went to work to meet colleagues, they still packed out the pubs at night, they could meet new people, hug one another, go to the cinema,go to dances, even hunker down together at night in air raid shelters/ undergound stations.

We are being asked - possibly for the next 9 months - to keep everyone at a distance. No socializing, no meeting a new girlfriend/boyfriend, no having a drink together - keeping a distance between all but the nearest and dearest.

That's going to be hard for a week, even harder for a couple of weeks, and a month, and another, and another ?
    I’m in Shropshire and feel people started the week committed but have already waned on the isolation

Re: Are the Government's /any Governments' expectations of their citizens unrealistic ?

Those people like me, who are single, may not even touch a human being for the rest of this year. Sobering thought but we have to get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Those people like me, who are single, may not even touch a human being for the rest of this year. Sobering thought but we have to get on with it.
    Good luck mate.

Good luck mate.
    I'm fine, thanks. Very robust. We have to support those who need it, that's for sure. Like married couples

Nobody in the UK has died from Corvid 19. 6 people have died 'with it', but had other underlying critical conditions.

Flu' kills tens of thousands some yrs in the uk - other yrs 4/5000.

How the f**k can it be worse. The amount of bullshit this Govt. and others is feeding people is amazing..

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Nobody in the UK has died from Corvid 19. 6 people have died 'with it', but had other underlying critical conditions.

How the f**k can it be worse. The amount of bullshit this Govt. and others is feeding people is amazing..
    I wouldn't disagree with a lot of what you say, but that aside, I'm suggesting it will be nigh impossible for the majority of people to sustain the levels of self-sacrifice Western Govts' are asking them to make..

I'm fine, thanks. Very robust. We have to support those who need it, that's for sure. Like married couples
    Divorce rates through the roof shortly

From what I heard tonight it seems there will be periods when the lockdown will be relaxed before being ramped up again. So there may be times when things are more relaxed.

Is everything ok? Are you feeling alright?

Have you seen what is happening in Italy and Spain?

The elderly are dropping like flies. Newspaper obituaries increasing from half a page to 10 pages in the Bergamo.

But don’t worry everyone... it’s just the flu.

I wouldn't disagree with a lot of what you say, but that aside, I'm suggesting it will be nigh impossible for the majority of people to sustain the levels of self-sacrifice Western Govts' are asking them to make..
    You said it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    From what I heard tonight it seems there will be periods when the lockdown will be relaxed before being ramped up again. So there may be times when things are more relaxed.
    Time to pop out and service a friend perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrickman View Post
    Is everything ok? Are you feeling alright?

Have you seen what is happening in Italy and Spain?

The elderly are dropping like flies. Newspaper obituaries increasing from half a page to 10 pages in the Bergamo.

But don’t worry everyone... it’s just the flu.
    Thanks. Feeling fine. Just playing back to the genius who started this post his exact words from a couple of weeks ago!

Is this the only website you visit?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Is this the only website you visit?
    whooooosh

Sorry. Understand where you are coming from. Just that the Monkfish was singing from a different hymnsheet a few days ago

whooooosh
    Apologies - I don't follow yours or the brickies posts like a religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Apologies - I don't follow yours or the brickies posts like a religion.
    No probs. My fault in this case!

Time to pop out and service a friend perhaps.
    Oooh matron

Complete lockdown is the only thing that will prevent the spread of the virus , and even then it may spread

It is what it is

For a few months or so we are going to have to be sensible but not everybody can be sensible

The thick , for example and the selfish

Plenty of them about

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Complete lockdown is the only thing that will prevent the spread of the virus , and even then it may spread

It is what it is

For a few months or so we are going to have to be sensible but not everybody can be sensible

The thick , for example and the selfish

Plenty of them about
    And when you've got thick and selfish inhabiting the same body that's catastrophic. I would shoot on sight lol

The psychological impact of sustained isolation has been discussed frequently on US news and media progs.

It's a real concern but the feeling is that in today's world of instant communication, we are likely resurrect contact with family and friends that we haven't bothered with for years at first out of concern that they are ok and managing for food etc but then simply because they are family and friends and we have all been too busy with our own affairs to make time to communicate.

I have to confess, I spoke today with a cousin that II haven't spoken to in 20 years

Some dangerous ignorance here.

If 60% of the population catch it in the herd immunity situation or the population ignoring advice, we will have 250,000-600,000 deaths. It is significantly more contagious and more deadly than flu.

Its difficult if you don't say or do anything your critised if you do say or do something your awful , we just have to follow some behaviour and hope not too many die ,this is not a norma, flu and I'm sure many are dying of normal flu and other similar illnesses, but this is an add on virus that cruelly attaches itself to other weak cells in the body ,my heart goes out to those who have died and their relatives, it is a cruel virus .

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    Some dangerous ignorance here.

If 60% of the population catch it in the herd immunity situation or the population ignoring advice, we will have 250,000-600,000 deaths. It is significantly more contagious and more deadly than flu.
    It's almost like the guy who did the OP in this thread was responsible for my ignorance!

Self-isolate? Me?
    Err...maybe I should
    This is a sobering tale.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51978164