+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the Government's /any Governments' expectations of their citizens unrealistic ?

Re: Are the Government's /any Governments' expectations of their citizens unrealistic ?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Nobody in the UK has died from Corvid 19. 6 people have died 'with it', but had other underlying critical conditions.

Flu' kills tens of thousands some yrs in the uk - other yrs 4/5000.

How the f**k can it be worse. The amount of bullshit this Govt. and others is feeding people is amazing..
    Because there's a vaccine for influenza and it's treatable. And how many of the people that flu "kills" die with it and not from it?

It's not just your government that's feeding you "bullshit", it's every government from China to Russia to the USA. And the world economy is tanking because of it. Do you think they're doing it for a laugh?

Re: Are the Government's /any Governments' expectations of their citizens unrealistic ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Because there's a vaccine for influenza and it's treatable. And how many of the people that flu "kills" die with it and not from it?

It's not just your government that's feeding you "bullshit", it's every government from China to Russia to the USA. And the world economy is tanking because of it. Do you think they're doing it for a laugh?
    I feel Cyril's Pain...

There’s some whooshing going on in this thread.

Nobody in the UK has died from Corvid 19. 6 people have died 'with it', but had other underlying critical conditions.

How the f**k can it be worse. The amount of bullshit this Govt. and others is feeding people is amazing..
    Not digging you out here but I'm genuinely fascinated by people who are still saying this despite every virologist expert in the world saying different.

What do you think when you see headlines like this? Screenshot 2020-03-21 at 00.16.02.jpg

Being serious now - do you think the paper's lying? Or the Government? Or that 250000 cases is nothing? Or that 627 people dying in a single day in Italy from a virus that wasn't even in the country 3 weeks ago is no big deal?

Right at the start you could kind of understand cynicism, maybe even 10 days ago at a real push, but now? Arguing back and crying "bullshit" against the daily growing statistics, every world leader and expert in the world now? It takes a special type of person to think they're right and everybody else, including many many people who've studied this exact thing for decades, are wrong and I genuinely want to know what your rationale if you don't mind

EDIT: Also the frontline healthcare workers telling their horrendous stories of intensive care wards in the worst hit places and begging people in other countries to self isolate. What's your take on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I feel Cyril's Pain...

Lazy reading, coming on and reading the last few posts of a thread.
    Its like skipping the first chapter of a book!

Poor old Cyril

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    From what I heard tonight it seems there will be periods when the lockdown will be relaxed before being ramped up again. So there may be times when things are more relaxed.
    The pubs will be ****ing packed.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Poor old Cyril
    It’s not like several people haven’t pointed out the whooshiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    It's a feckin fantastic thread too!

Pity they didn't read from the start, they've missed out BIG time LOLz.

Nice one Cyril

I should imagine the situation will require military deployment if it continues more than a couple of weeks. People are losing thei shit over here already. I think it's the uncertainty.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Poor old Cyril
    It was reading the first posts and responding before reading the whole thread actually.

the 10 days of darkness is still to come,when we have no internet or media coverage #Qanon

The science indicates that it is about 10 times more lethal than seasonal flu, and it is killing people. They develop pneumonia and die through inability to breath.

Scientists measure the the spread of an epidemic by a number called R0...ie how many people catch it from another person...The n umber for Covid-19 is 3.

So one person has it and passes it on to 3, then they to another 3 etc and in 15 moves it's gone from 1 person to 14,348,907.

So let's stop all this rubbish about it not being a big issue. It is a very big issue and currently the only thing we can do to help as individuals is to follow the advice being given by the experts

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    The science indicates that it is about 10 times more lethal than seasonal flu, and it is killing people. They develop pneumonia and die through inability to breath.

Scientists measure the the spread of an epidemic by a number called R0...ie how many people catch it from another person...The n umber for Covid-19 is 3.

So one person has it and passes it on to 3, then they to another 3 etc and in 15 moves it's gone from 1 person to 14,348,907.

So let's stop all this rubbish about it not being a big issue. It is a very big issue and currently the only thing we can do to help as individuals is to follow the advice being given by the experts
    even experts can be wrong,depends who's paying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogersblue View Post
    even experts can be wrong,depends who's paying them.
    Well, they've got a better chance of being right than you

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Well, they've got a better chance of being right than you
    ok mr expert.

Well, such is the desire, or need, of some people to have their daily fix of alcohol, I can foresee a lot more problems for supermarkets and even the return of the sort of speakeasy establishments seen in prohibition hit America because I'm sure there are those who will still look to make money out of people's desperation even with the risks involved.

For myself, the Government have made the right decision here - in fact it should have happened days ago when Johnson trusted people to use common sense and avoid using pubs, clubs, restaurants etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    As Helen Mirren might have said (Calendar Girls) 'we need considerably bigger whooshes'!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    As Helen Mirren might have said (Calendar Girls) 'we need considerably bigger whooshes'!
    Whooosh sorry now? Me for starters!

According to Wikipedia, in the UK, half a million people die every year, from all causes. That's 10,000 people dying every week.
    The current deaths associated with COVID-19 have added maybe 100 a week to that figure.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    There have been many comments in the media and authorities commenting on the 'worst crisis since the War'. In terms of getting killed/dying, I have no doubt, and to live for months on end listening for the sounds of bombers heading your way must have been awful.

But in 1939 the one thing people had was 'community'. They still went to work to meet colleagues, they still packed out the pubs at night, they could meet new people, hug one another, go to the cinema,go to dances, even hunker down together at night in air raid shelters/ undergound stations.

We are being asked - possibly for the next 9 months - to keep everyone at a distance. No socializing, no meeting a new girlfriend/boyfriend, no having a drink together - keeping a distance between all but the nearest and dearest.

That's going to be hard for a week, even harder for a couple of weeks, and a month, and another, and another ?
    What we're being asked to do is tough. What we're asking the vulnerable to do is tougher still. But, given the choice between facetiming a loved one and dropping stuff off in a letterbox or seeing an elderly woman being unable to visit her husband on his death bed, and then being unable to attend his funeral, and him being buried in a different town - well I think a few months without a pub is a price worth paying. Granted, not everyone will feel this way but I have a feeling we either comply, or we'll be forced to comply. I'd rather the first option.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    According to Wikipedia, in the UK, half a million people die every year, from all causes. That's 10,000 people dying every week.
    The current deaths associated with COVID-19 have added maybe 100 a week to that figure.
    You do realise we are only at the very start of this right?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    From what I heard tonight it seems there will be periods when the lockdown will be relaxed before being ramped up again. So there may be times when things are more relaxed.
    I honestly believe that, if we do as we're told, the situation will be terrible but controllable. Treatment will improve, identifying people who are immune will improve, and the picture will get clearer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogersblue View Post
    ok mr expert.
    He's right though. The leading scientist worked on ebola and is working off data that is available. The data needs to improve. Given a choice of listening to Prof Whitty, or that complete cretin that runs Wetherspoons (I wonder why he disagrees with the experts again, nothing to do with self interest) I think I'll go with the prof.

Banned

China - 25 days of a rise in active cases before it started declining. It is still on the decline.
    Italy - I would say they are on day 20 of significant rises in cases.
    Spain - I would say they are on day 13
    Germany - Day 13 - although they do more testing than other countries which may mean they are only on day 9 or 10
    Iran - Day 21 and there is a decline in active cases today
    USA - Day 10
    South Korea, 20 days, and a gradual decline (much slower than China). Day 27, the decline is more significant
    France - Day 15
    Switzerland - Day 13, but getting significant last few days
    UK - Day 13 of significant rises

China and South Korea the only countries in decline, Iran had a slight decline today, all three took three weeks to get to a declining stage.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    We're not being asked to do all this in reaction to all the deaths so far, we're being asked to do it to prevent all the potential deaths in the future. That's being said over and over, why is it so difficult to understand that your reaction on hearing it is to go and Wikipedia how many people die of anything? That's nuts.