+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Universal credit rates if your self employed

Universal credit rates if your self employed

If your in a PAYE you get 80% of up to 2500 a week.If your self employed to get
    Your circumstances Monthly standard allowance
    Single and under 25 £251.77
    Single and 25 or over £317.82
    In a couple and you’re both under 25 £395.20 (for you both)
    In a couple and either of you are 25 or over £498.89 (for you both) yes monthly
    plus the 1000 a year extra.
    bit of a difference there.

Re: Universal credit rates if your self employed

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    If your in a PAYE you get 80% of up to 2500 a week.If your self employed to get
    Your circumstances Monthly standard allowance
    Single and under 25 £251.77
    Single and 25 or over £317.82
    In a couple and you’re both under 25 £395.20 (for you both)
    In a couple and either of you are 25 or over £498.89 (for you both) yes monthly
    plus the 1000 a year extra.
    bit of a difference there.
    Surely they could use previous year's figures?

I argee

does this extend out to freelancers and contracters too who use a LTD company ? many are getting laid off too

seems a grey area where no one has really answered not to my knowledge anyway

Anybody can apply if you have no income.

ok thanks but so little clarity when i ever see it mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    even 50 % for us SE'ed lot would be a start

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    does this extend out to freelancers and contracters too who are directors of a LTD company and running a legitimate business? many are having contract terminated or not renewed too

Fixed your post.

The answer is no it doesn't apply to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    They will be on minimum wage then if they go off the declared figures

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Cash in hand tradesmen will be totally fvcked then...

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    How dare you, how very dare you, I dont even earn NMW

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Cash in hand tradesmen will be totally fvcked then...
    If they haven't been declaring everything in the past then they've already had an advance under this scheme.

Any confirmation on what travellers are going to get? 80% of the money they rob off elderly people asking for money upfront for materials and doing a bunk??

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    If they haven't been declaring everything in the past then they've already had an advance under this scheme.
    True. Would be amusing if some got caught by HMRC when applying though.

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    True. Would be amusing if some got caught by HMRC when applying though.
    HMRC have all the relative figures from previous year’s accounts, surely any claim would be made on these rather any ‘made up’ claim by the claimant. Fairest & most obvious way of doing it.

How will it work out for me any advice would be much appreciated.
    I've totally lost all my self employed income from being a taxi driver but my Mrs who I live with is on £28.000 salary but will only be paid full pay for the next 8 weeks then after this we have no idea what's going to happen?
    I am in shit Street with no income coming in myself as I am up to my eyes in both car finance and credit card debt. Can I claim anything? I'm lead to believe that I can't claim universal credit as my Mrs salary is above the level to not be able to make any claims?

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    How will it work out for me any advice would be much appreciated.
    I've totally lost all my self employed income from being a taxi driver but my Mrs who I live with is on £28.000 salary but will only be paid full pay for the next 8 weeks then after this we have no idea what's going to happen?
    I am in shit Street with no income coming in myself as I am up to my eyes in both car finance and credit card debt. Can I claim anything? I'm lead to believe that I can't claim universal credit as my Mrs salary is above the level to not be able to make any claims?
    Your Mrs' employer should be able to claim 80% of her salary to pay her. The OP said the upper limit is £2500 per week - its per month. It's not a threshold - it's a maximum claim and £28k is £2333 a month.
    As for the self employed I wish I knew. In the meantime contact your finance companies and ask for payment holidays.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    does this extend out to freelancers and contracters too who use a LTD company ? many are getting laid off too

Contractors will receive income is a mix of salary and divs. The salary proportion is what is covered up to 80%

thanks for clarification TISS
    Somehow didn't think it would be 80% of the dividends !

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Anybody can apply if you have no income.
    Any single or couple can claim Universal Credit provided their capital is below £16K. Not declaring what's in a bank account, Premium Bonds, an ISA, ownership or part ownership in property that's not their abode, etc, which would take a claimant above that threshold would be a very bad move because the state will discover their undeclared capital via its General Matching Service. The relevant info found here https://revenuebenefits.org.uk/unive...capital-rules/ is pasted below.

Tariff income rules

Capital or joint capital over £6,000 is treated as providing income, known as “tariff income”, of £4.35 per month for each additional £250 (or part thereof). For example capital of £6,250 gives monthly tariff income of £4.35. Capital of £6,250.01 gives a monthly tariff income of £8.70.

The lower limit is £6000, so any capital below £6000 is disregarded.

The upper limit is £16000, so anyone with savings (capital) over £16,000 cannot get Universal Credit.

Plus I was reading theres a 12 week wait,
    I also heard and I hope this is not true the message came up something like this you are 33300 in the Q.
    The DWP cant cope in normal times

International

What about SE people like me who are over pension age but still have to work to make ends meet?
    I cannot claim any credits for my family because they have just joined me in the UK (16 months ago) and are not permitted access to public funds so I have to work to support them. I expect to be barred from claiming because I'm in receipt of my state pension which is just about to go up to C £9165 a year.

I expect to be told I am above the age limit to be working and threefore cannot claim. can anyone clarify this?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    What about SE people like me who are over pension age but still have to work to make ends meet?
    I cannot claim any credits for my family because they have just joined me in the UK (16 months ago) and are not permitted access to public funds so I have to work to support them. I expect to be barred from claiming because I'm in receipt of my state pension which is just about to go up to C £9165 a year.

I expect to be told I am above the age limit to be working and threefore cannot claim. can anyone clarify this?
    May be worth trying this: https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou