+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We are now locked down

We are now locked down

Acoording to Boris

Re: We are now locked down

About time but scum will still act like scum.

Here's his address from 10 mins ago for those who missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    About time but scum will still act like scum.
    But there is now appropriate legislation to deal with it.

Good address to the nation, well done Boris

Good.
    Been far too many people in this country who seem unable to understand simple instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    But there is now appropriate legislation to deal with it.
    True, but will it be enforced fully? I'd suggest police have other things to do.

very good address, basically said I've given you all chance and you didn't do as I told you.
    Hopefully those that thought this was a sunny Bank Holiday weekend to spend out and about will now take a long hard look at themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    very good address, basically said I've given you all chance and you didn't do as I told you.
    Hopefully those that thought this was a sunny Bank Holiday weekend to spend out and about will now take a long hard look at themselves.
    I think that was the slightly better approach - give people option to act responsibly, when they inevitably don't, then bring the stick.

I doubt those give a shit - christ, a neighbour a few doors up is a mobile hairdresser, she's been out not giving shit. She'll still be working...

Still unsure where it leaves self employed people. What Is considered essential? If your boiler breaks down and you have no heating? Will the shops that sell the parts be open? If you have a car that needs fixing yo allow you to shop, Will the garage be open?could they fix your car if they can’t get parts? With still no announcement of help for self employed how might people survive financially?

Quote Originally Posted by Fancydan View Post
    Still unsure where it leaves self employed people. What Is considered essential? If your boiler breaks down and you have no heating? Will the shops that sell the parts be open? If you have a car that needs fixing yo allow you to shop, Will the garage be open?could they fix your car if they can’t get parts? With still no announcement of help for self employed how might people survive financially?
    Agree with this - what is really lacking from this broadcast is a complete list of what can and can't be judged as essential work

Quote Originally Posted by Fancydan View Post
    I'm sure it'll be announced tomorrow, much like the most of key workers was put out the day after the school closures were announced.
    I'm not sure where it leaves the self employed. I think only the NHS/Supermarket workers/Police will be expected to be out and about.
    The boiler man runs the risk of spreading the virus from house to house, not sure I'd want my central heating fixed!

True, but will it be enforced fully? I'd suggest police have other things to do.
    Close police officer friend of mine, says crime is it all time lows across the board.

The best time to do this was much, much closer to 31/01/2020, the second best time is as soon as possible after recognising you've acted much too slowly. Fair play, if the outbreak started on 14/03/2020 then UK government, since that date, has acted in really commanding fashion.

….although one may wonder why they wanted to be able to ban public gatherings for a two year period. Has that been questioned and altered significantly enough today?

Piss poor detail in the announcement again. I’ve got a hole in the side of my house as we have builders in. Do I have to wait months before they can come and fit the door (due tomorrow)? I can keep my distance from the door fitter but as it’s not essential work then presumably not allowed, but I am allowed to go to the shops every morning for a pint of milk, in a shop full of people and speak to the till staff who speak to thousands a day. Great plan.

For any dog owners, the hardest hits areas of Italy, Spain, France, etc, have permitted dog walking as it's viewed as a legitimate form of exercise. Presumably UK authorities will take the same view.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Piss poor detail in the announcement again. I’ve got a hole in the side of my house as we have builders in. Do I have to wait months before they can come and fit the door (due tomorrow)? I can keep my distance from the door fitter but as it’s not essential work then presumably not allowed, but I am allowed to go to the shops every morning for a pint of milk, in a shop full of people and speak to the till staff who speak to thousands a day. Great plan.
    I think by being not too specific he's allowed for some "what ifs".
    The big problem is the groups of people seemingly not giving a monkeys which now will not happen without consequences.

In your case, I would see the hole in the side of your house as being essential for all kinds of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    For any dog owners, the hardest hits areas of Italy, Spain, France, etc, have permitted dog walking as it's viewed as a legitimate form of exercise. Presumably UK authorities will take the same view.
    Once a day yeah.
    My father walks his twice a day. Im now on the night shift.

key workers police NHS supermarkets food banks water gas electricity. plumbers electritians.emergerency repairs ie leaking roofs carers social workers
    good speech I could have made it.
    Cuts in the NHS staff and social care coming home to roost.

The work bit is unclear to me as Im not sure if travel to work is only permitted for essential work (e.g. by key workers) or if essential for all of us (i.e we can’t work from home).

‘Er indoors doesn’t know whether she should go to work in the morning.

The self employed individual wages problem needs addressing now. I work on my own, my current jobs are in people’s gardens, just me, the householder doesn’t need to come out of their house, I have electricity & water outside. Yet I’m assuming builders merchants will now be closed so my source of materials will eventually dry up as will my payments. In the current situation I don’t want to be going to builders merchants anyway, it isn’t right that their staff should be mixing together, and it would be defeating the advantage I have of working alone by me mixing with them and other builders at their yards. My accounts from financial years gone by are with the revenue so there’d be no skullduggery in the way of falsifying earnings, a decent percentage a la the 80% being mooted for paye employees would be fair in my opinion. The workers in my situation very often get left behind in financial benefits, ie sick pay, holiday pay etc. We do provide a decent service and deserve a bit of consideration.

I think that was the slightly better approach - give people option to act responsibly, when they inevitably don't, then bring the stick.

I doubt those give a shit - christ, a neighbour a few doors up is a mobile hairdresser, she's been out not giving shit. She'll still be working...
    For a lot of elderly isolated people a visit from the mobile hairdresser is important as is the visit from the cleaner

An uncleaned house for an elderly person can lead to all sorts of infections

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The workers in my situation very often get left behind in financial benefits, ie sick pay, holiday pay etc. We do provide a decent service and deserve a bit of consideration.
    When it comes to paying back these payments ( the 80% PAYE ) we will all be paying increased Tax's

Surely the SE'ed will be getting the 80% that the PAYE are getting

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    He said to go food shopping as infrequently as possible!!

How big is your fridge. I guess it will hold more than one pint of milk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    He said to go food shopping as infrequently as possible!!

How big is your fridge. I guess it will hold more than one pint of milk!!!
    What about people who dont have much fridge and freezer space ?

Or big cupboards

Stick it outside where it's going to get nicked ?