+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lockdown London style.

Lockdown London style.

We're doomed.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/u...-tube-17969150
    This is what Boris Johnson's coronavirus lockdown looks like on the London Underground today
    Lockdown.jpg

Re: Lockdown London style.

I can't believe people are still travelling tbh, especially on tubes like that.

I and everyone else I know stopped taking the tube 2 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I can't believe people are still travelling tbh, especially on tubes like that.

I and everyone else I know stopped taking the tube 2 weeks ago.
    Some people have jobs to get to and this is the only way there

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Some people have jobs to get to and this is the only way there
    The announcement last night said essential workers though, why are they still being made to go in? They can't all be essential workers. I'm not questioning the people but their employers more than anything.

I walked to work for a week, nothing would get me on a tube train at the moment, especially a crowded one like that.

Those images make Johnson's remarks yesterday evening appear both ineffective and ridiculous.

A possible solution is to issue permits to London underground travellers whose employment is deemed absolutely essential. But then buses would become rammed during rush hour to transfer the same problem to a different mode of transport.

The announcement last night said essential workers though, why are they still being made to go in? They can't all be essential workers. I'm not questioning the people but their employers more than anything.

I walked to work for a week, nothing would get me on a tube train at the moment, especially a crowded one like that.
    Did they say only essential workers, or only travel into work if essential? My wife has gone into work today as she can’t do her job from home and doesn’t want to lose her job.

The announcement last night said essential workers though, why are they still being made to go in?
    No it didn't. It should have, but it didn't. What it said was you could leave the house if you are:

"Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home." source: https://assets.publishing.service.go...others__1_.pdf

And that is exactly what Boris said too.

Nothing in there about the work itself being essential. if they meant to limit it to travel for essential work, they ballsed up that basic communication. if they didn't mean it, they are grossly negligent. I suspect it is the former, because elsewhere the government website it says "Only go outside for food, health reasons or essential work".

Regardless of what you think about the government's strategy here, their ability to convey clear messages is atrocious and has put lives at risk. It is why the entire construction industry this morning didn't know what they were supposed to be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    No it didn't. It should have, but it didn't. What it said was you could leave the house if you are:

"Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home." source: https://assets.publishing.service.go...others__1_.pdf

And that is exactly what Boris said too.

Nothing in there about the work itself being essential. if they meant to limit it to travel for essential work, they ballsed up that basic communication. if they didn't mean it, they are grossly negligent. I suspect it is the former, because elsewhere the government website it says "Only go outside for food, health reasons or essential work".

Regardless of what you think about the government's strategy here, their ability to convey clear messages is atrocious and has put lives at risk. It is why the entire construction industry this morning didn't know what they were supposed to be doing.
    Wow I hadn't realised that, seems a bit crazy

Wow I hadn't realised that, seems a bit crazy
    This is the problem. People are getting uppity about folk going to work on the train, or going to the seaside for fresh air. But that is exactly what they are being told to do. The lack of clarity in the govt's communications is unforgivable. I think we all know we are in this together and pretty much everyone will be willing to do what they are told, but their inability to clearly message what people should and should not do is quite staggering. His ineptitude in communicating clearly is killing people, regardless of whether you think it is too early/late/whatever to call a lockdown.

Cutting the number of trains was a shocking mistake, they should have increased the number. Cutting them meant you had the same amount of people getting on fewer trains. If the tube is to be kept open, it could be policed so that, say, allow 30 or 40 on the platform, get them on the train at a suitable distance apart, the train pulls out, bring the next train in and do the same. My missus likens it to the Jews being transported to the gas chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    My missus likens it to the Jews being transported to the gas chambers.
    Jesus, she sounds like a barrel of laughs to be quarantined with

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    She actually burst out laughing at your reply Delmi

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    She just said “If I opens that fridge once more I’ll have hypothermia”

Cutting the number of trains was a shocking mistake, they should have increased the number. Cutting them meant you had the same amount of people getting on fewer trains. If the tube is to be kept open, it could be policed so that, say, allow 30 or 40 on the platform, get them on the train at a suitable distance apart, the train pulls out, bring the next train in and do the same. My missus likens it to the Jews being transported to the gas chambers.
    They've had to cut the number of trains as the number of TfL staff is already down by a third due to illness/self-isolation. The Government needs to ban all non essential construction and provide support for freelancers and the self employed so they don't feel they need to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    We're doomed.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/u...-tube-17969150
    This is what Boris Johnson's coronavirus lockdown looks like on the London Underground today
    Lockdown.jpg
    It looks like the world frottaging chamionship to me.

She actually burst out laughing at your reply Delmi