+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: French windows, open or not?

French windows, open or not?

My routine today has been to take the dog for a very early morning walk, then completely self isolate for the rest of the day, as I plan to do for the foreseeable future now. Ideally, I'd also get food delivered by one of the big supermarkets, but there's no chance of that, so I will be going to do a shop every Monday and I think that should be my only one of the week. I have a very small back garden where I was planning to have a sit outside for a while most days and, certainly while the weather is like it is now, would also open the French doors to let the cat and dog come and go as they please. However, seeing all of the closed back windows around by me in empty gardens has got me doubting myself - should I really be having doors open like that and going outside that much?

Re: French windows, open or not?

Fine to open your windows and to sit outside, just not near other people.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My routine today has been to take the dog for a very early morning walk, then completely self isolate for the rest of the day, as I plan to do for the foreseeable future now. Ideally, I'd also get food delivered by one of the big supermarkets, but there's no chance of that, so I will be going to do a shop every Monday and I think that should be my only one of the week. I have a very small back garden where I was planning to have a sit outside for a while most days and, certainly while the weather is like it is now, would also open the French doors to let the cat and dog come and go as they please. However, seeing all of the closed back windows around by me in empty gardens has got me doubting myself - should I really be having doors open like that and going outside that much?
    Your ok mate their windows will be open on the weekend. They are at work probably in call centres and construction.

Seriously if we cant open our windows and doors and sit out our back then this virus will get us all within weeks if its that contagious.

Yes, absolutely. Just make sure that you're a good distance away from neighbours etc. Take a look in the summer months at your neighbours windows(not in a sludge kind of way) i bet there wont be many open then. You'd be surprised at how people live in houses where they don't ventilate, even on cold days a window should be opened for a bit. In my opinion you'll be fine.

The lady next door is outside with her back door open. Don't get an invite like that very often.

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking I'm being stupid here while I was typing the message, but all those closed windows threw me a bit - I think Tuerto's probably right about many of them never being open.

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking I'm being stupid here while I was typing the message, but all those closed windows threw me a bit - I think Tuerto's probably right about many of them never being open.
    A neighbour's cat comes and goes into my house whenever it fancies - but I don't stroke her with my bare hands now. (The cat and not the neighbour).

Bob

I know this bunch and they are very knowledgeable. Download this advisory - it's aimed at how to manage building services during COVID19 but is very interesting about the virus itself:

https://www.rehva.eu/fileadmin/user_...3-17_final.pdf

Basically ventilate as much as you can and close the bog lid is the advice for home owners. I'm getting out into the fresh air as much as I can in my back garden

I think you're doing everything that you can do to keep safe based on what we know.

PS It's still cold - hence everyone else's windows being closed if they're heating their houses

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Bob

I know this bunch and they are very knowledgeable. Download this advisory - it's aimed at how to manage building services during COVID19 but is very interesting about the virus itself:

https://www.rehva.eu/fileadmin/user_...3-17_final.pdf

Basically ventilate as much as you can and close the bog lid is the advice for home owners. I'm getting out into the fresh air as much as I can in my back garden

I think you're doing everything that you can do to keep safe based on what we know.

PS It's still cold - hence everyone else's windows being closed if they're heating their houses
    Thanks, that is useful - the one about closing the toilet lid was news to me, but it's pretty obvious when you read that.

Thanks, that is useful - the one about closing the toilet lid was news to me, but it's pretty obvious when you read that.
    I went away with two female nurses in September and they took it as read that people lower the loo seat when flushing - and although I am a very hygienic chap I had never thought about it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I went away with two female nurses in September and they took it as read that people lower the loo seat when flushing - and although I am a very hygienic chap I had never thought about it myself.
    Thinly veiled "I had a threesome with a couple of nurses".

Government, health experts suggest fresh air is vital for ones health and mental welfare

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

You should always lower ones lid very quietly . and then wash ones hands for 20 seconds.

Don't rely on your two nurses.