+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Whittingham goal

Favourite Whittingham goal

The list of amazing goals he scored for us any player on the planet would have been proud of. I think it's impossible to say what his greatest ever goal was.

For me, it was at Reading, November 2011. First minute or so, Jimmy Kebe starts a run just outside his own box and has a heavy touch. Whitts spots this, the ball is heading his way, and as the ball gets away from Kebe, so he clips one first time from 30 yards which curls and lobs Federici, who is on the edge of his 6 yard box.

It was a ridiculous strike. His free kicks were amazing. His volley against Barnsley was spectacular, but all of these allowed him time to size up what he wanted to do. The goal at Reading was pure instinct. Most players would have just been happy to intercept a poor touch. Whitts found the top corner from 30 yards and had no time to think about it at all.

Re: Favourite Whittingham goal

Mine would be Barnsley. I know it wasn't particularly important but I remeber seeing it and realising I'd seen one of the greatest goals ever.

To receive the ball in the air control it and hit a strike where it is the only spot the keeper couldn't get to it. The keeper by the way makes an incredible effort to get there. Also he is striking it as a challenge is coming in.

There's obviously the Boro goal, play off game as well which were more important but it's the goal I remember the most.

The Leicester away one, think the ref rolled it back a foot, Whitts rolled it forward a foot. Celebrations mental as anything I can remember, in off the near post. When I hear Whitts name mentioned, that's what leaps to mind.

In terms of the actual goal, 100% Barnsley. But his catalogue is so so ridiculous you could make a case for an awful lot.

Personally his goal at Reading off a tackle about 40 yards out means the most to me. Was my second away game, first game away with my mates, first away game I saw us win. Great memories.

Scored so many wonder goals but this one has always stuck out for me. Probably because like the person called on film says its more suited for the right footer.

He instead goes to the keepers side because he can put it top bins. https://youtu.be/Msl4d7pnjFU

Not a goal, but still makes me smile every time I watch it

Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post

I was just about to mention that .

I'm the same as Der Kaiser, Barnsley is his most spectacular goal for me, but I can remember goals like that Reading one, two he got against Brighton (in a 2-2 there and the 4-1 win here) and a volley against Ipswich which barely get a mention in this sort of discussion - at my age, saying that we will not see his like again carries less clout than someone, say, in their twenties, but I think it applies as much to them as me.

Middlesbrough 2008 FA Cup absolutely sublime finish, probably goal of the season including PL, EFL, FA Cup and League Cup.
    And a total Worldie in every sense of the word.

Think you have to remember how good Alexander (PNE defender beaten) was at the time to appreciate that fully, and he was one of the best in the division.

What about finishing off the move against Sheffield United that won goal of the month in the Championship? We haven't seen such stylish team play since!

The goal against Boro in the FA Cup for me. Outrageous.

Glad you posted this clip... I remember using this to demonstrate to my son (who was only 16 and at that time didn’t rate Whitt’s) that not many footballers would even have the thought of making that move... we paused, rewound and played that clip over and over again... he was convinced by the end 🤣

Most of the others are in the tribute thread (so I’ll paste it there as well for posterity)

As for the goals, I know I’ve already given my opinion previously but I won’t tire of continuing to do so

1. Barnsley - the single best goal I’ve ever seen at a live game and as I think has been mentioned by at least one other on here... arguably the best goal full stop by any player anywhere

2.Middlesborough - sums up ‘he does what he wants’

3. Leicester - probably influenced by the importance of the game

I can remember that Preston goal like it was yesterday, just took it for granted how good it was at the time.

The boro and liecester goals for me as they were 2 of the best atmospheres I've ever been in.

I don't think I'd seen that Reading one until recently. I might put that above the Barnsley one, it's just ridiculous and out of nowhere.

Barnsley. Best goal I've ever seen live

Can't remember seeing a first touch like that. And followed up with a 20 yard volley into the top corner. I mean, are you shitting me? A guy who can do that plays for city? I was dumbstruck.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    The Leicester away one, think the ref rolled it back a foot, Whitts rolled it forward a foot. Celebrations mental as anything I can remember, in off the near post. When I hear Whitts name mentioned, that's what leaps to mind.
    The whole stand was shaking when that goal went in, stunning strike in a game of such importance, kissing it off the inside of the post

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    I always smile when I think of that, the Leicester player in the wall going mental at the ref

Definitely the free kick at Leicester away.

Loved ‘em all but the earth bloody moved when that Leicester goal went in, that stand was actually swaying!!!!

Another vote for the Middlesbrough goal. To be hemmed in like that and then to conjure something from nothing; it seemed almost impossible. There was no expectation or calls to "shooooot" (at least not in my house) but wondering if someone was going to give him an outlet. Oh me of little faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The list of amazing goals he scored for us any player on the planet would have been proud of. I think it's impossible to say what his greatest ever goal was.

For me, it was at Reading, November 2011. First minute or so, Jimmy Kebe starts a run just outside his own box and has a heavy touch. Whitts spots this, the ball is heading his way, and as the ball gets away from Kebe, so he clips one first time from 30 yards which curls and lobs Federici, who is on the edge of his 6 yard box.

It was a ridiculous strike. His free kicks were amazing. His volley against Barnsley was spectacular, but all of these allowed him time to size up what he wanted to do. The goal at Reading was pure instinct. Most players would have just been happy to intercept a poor touch. Whitts found the top corner from 30 yards and had no time to think about it at all.
    I remember this well as I fell about 3 rows in the melée. Their manage said it was a fluke. If it was any other player he might have been right.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I remember this well as I fell about 3 rows in the melée. Their manage said it was a fluke. If it was any other player he might have been right.
    Never a fluke. Look at his body shape when he hits it. It's not a tackle. He's spotted a heavy touch from Kebe and tried a first time curler from over 30 yards as the ball runs towards him. Free kicks, and he hit so many in his earlier years with us, are spectacular but planned. They need precision, but players practice them. Even the Barnsley volley, sublime, but he had time to size it up (on another note, Earnshaw hit as good a volley against Stoke at Ninian Park but that gets forgotten). This was pure instinct. A million to one from where he was. It went in the top corner. How he even saw the opportunity is a mystery. Had it been Messi, it would have been shown for years.

Middlesborough.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Never a fluke. Look at his body shape when he hits it. It's not a tackle. He's spotted a heavy touch from Kebe and tried a first time curler from over 30 yards as the ball runs towards him. Free kicks, and he hit so many in his earlier years with us, are spectacular but planned. They need precision, but players practice them. Even the Barnsley volley, sublime, but he had time to size it up (on another note, Earnshaw hit as good a volley against Stoke at Ninian Park but that gets forgotten). This was pure instinct. A million to one from where he was. It went in the top corner. How he even saw the opportunity is a mystery. Had it been Messi, it would have been shown for years.
    Love your passion for it but the difference is that many players have the technical ability to score that goal.... the Barnsley and Middlesbrough goals are the work of a genius... it’s not just one strike with them it’s 2or 3 pieces of sublime skill

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Love your passion for it but the difference is that many players have the technical ability to score that goal.... the Barnsley and Middlesbrough goals are the work of a genius... it’s not just one strike with them it’s 2or 3 pieces of sublime skill
    Yeah, the Barnsley one, as I said above, is the first touch as well, not just the laser strike. It's absolute perfection.

. Even the Barnsley volley, sublime, but he had time to size it up (on another note, Earnshaw hit as good a volley against Stoke at Ninian Park but that gets forgotten). [/QUOTE]

Earnies goal was great but no where near as good as Whitts.

The third goal at home to Wolves was a belter and seems to have slipped through the thoughts of fans. That said, the second goal was a beaut, too, as he took it early. It was sad that the Maynard / Whittingham duo did not have the time to develop due to Maynard's injury.

On a general matter there were too many goals from PW to select just one.

https://youtu.be/kqiExZ7Zd7c

StT.
    <><