+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 56

Thread: When Football resumes..

  1. #1

    When Football resumes..

    If it does for this season, then it's going to feel very strange watching football in June. We've got nine league games to go, so say it got going again mid April, (Can't see it) then the season could go into July. It's going to be very odd and unseasonal which could add to a very strange atmosphere. Personally i don't think that the season will be completed, i hope not just to **** Leeds fans off. Just noticed that anything below national league has been cancelled for good and all results wiped out.

  2. #2

    Re: When Football resumes..

    I cant see the current restrictions being removed within 12 weeks. Therefore mid June earliest.

    I just cant see it.

    Its a question of write the season off or re commence whenever they can even if thats later in the year.

  3. #3

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If it does for this season, then it's going to feel very strange watching football in June. We've got nine league games to go, so say it got going again mid April, (Can't see it) then the season could go into July. It's going to be very odd and unseasonal which could add to a very strange atmosphere. Personally i don't think that the season will be completed, i hope not just to **** Leeds fans off. Just noticed that anything below national league has been cancelled for good and all results wiped out.
    I reckon the season will resume in the summer and I wonder whether that might be quite....good?

    Why do we watch football in the depths of winter? Easy to forget now but a few weeks ago we were watching games in storms and rain. Not much fun.

    Letís get our tops off and for goodness sake let people take a beer into the stands. Live a little

  4. #4

    Re: When Football resumes..

    The rest of the domestic league season can be completed within a month, or even less, if need by. I'll be surprised if we see football being played any time soon even if things go better than expected in terms of controlling the virus - I still think a reduced 20/21 season is the best way to go.

  5. #5
    International City123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    5,066

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If it does for this season, then it's going to feel very strange watching football in June. We've got nine league games to go, so say it got going again mid April, (Can't see it) then the season could go into July. It's going to be very odd and unseasonal which could add to a very strange atmosphere. Personally i don't think that the season will be completed, i hope not just to **** Leeds fans off. Just noticed that anything below national league has been cancelled for good and all results wiped out.
    I'm a fan of both of these options

  6. #6

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'm a fan of both of these options
    Summer football? Not so sure, probably because of what i'm used to, although it may bring extra people out and there probably is something to be said for not having to freeze your bollocks off for most of the season. Who knows, maybe players would improve with better conditions.

  7. #7

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The rest of the domestic league season can be completed within a month, or even less, if need by. I'll be surprised if we see football being played any time soon even if things go better than expected in terms of controlling the virus - I still think a reduced 20/21 season is the best way to go.
    I was just about to suggest the same thing Paul. There's no football anyway until 30th April, unless that date changes. It would be best to complete this season and have a reduced, or more compressed season next year. Maybe just play each team once ? But maybe clubs will want the full season played. I know I'd want full value out of my season ticket. They'll have to finish early as the Euros will follow in Summer 2021.

  8. #8

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Summer football? Not so sure, probably because of what i'm used to, although it may bring extra people out and there probably is something to be said for not having to freeze your bollocks off for most of the season. Who knows, maybe players would improve with better conditions.
    Lee Tomlin may be fit for for the re start.

    If you look hard enough you will find some kind of positive in every situation.

  9. #9

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Lee Tomlin may be fit for for the re start.

    If you look hard enough you will find some kind of positive in every situation.
    I think that they'll have to finish the season, it'll cause mayhem with contracts etc and players who are on big promotion bonuses, plus the revenue lost due to cancelling nine games.

  10. #10

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Lee Tomlin may be fit for for the re start.

    If you look hard enough you will find some kind of positive in every situation.
    NML may be fit and he likes playing when it's warm.

  11. #11

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Season will be finished no matter what, next season however, the format will be quite interesting to say the least. League cup and Football League trophy should be scrapped to free up playing time next year.

  12. #12

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Chances are they will play two or three games a week, to get them finished asap.

  13. #13

    Re: When Football resumes..

    I can see this season becoming void like the national league and below

    just think Manchester city being the only club to win domestic honours this season or would that get that taken away from them ?

  14. #14

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    I can see this season becoming void like the national league and below

    just think Manchester city being the only club to win domestic honours this season or would that get that taken away from them ?
    How can it be taken away from them when the competition was completed?

  15. #15

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I cant see the current restrictions being removed within 12 weeks. Therefore mid June earliest.

    I just cant see it.

    Its a question of write the season off or re commence whenever they can even if thats later in the year.
    Nor me. I suspect that we prepare for a longer term than 12 months of restrictions.

  16. #16

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    I reckon the season will resume in the summer and I wonder whether that might be quite....good?

    Why do we watch football in the depths of winter? Easy to forget now but a few weeks ago we were watching games in storms and rain. Not much fun.

    Let’s get our tops off and for goodness sake let people take a beer into the stands. Live a little

    No. No. No.

    NO!

  17. #17

    Re: When Football resumes..

    If it starts back up, the games will be behind closed-doors. And probably played at a rate of 2 a week.

  18. #18

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The rest of the domestic league season can be completed within a month, or even less, if need by. I'll be surprised if we see football being played any time soon even if things go better than expected in terms of controlling the virus - I still think a reduced 20/21 season is the best way to go.

    They have to finish this season, even if it is October. Too many games have been played. Next season can be cancelled and replaced with mini-leagues, 3 PL teams, 3 Championship, 3 League One and 3 League Two type format.

  19. #19

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    They have to finish this season, even if it is October. Too many games have been played. Next season can be cancelled and replaced with mini-leagues, 3 PL teams, 3 Championship, 3 League One and 3 League Two type format.
    Explain the format, don’t quite get it, only 12 teams competing?

  20. #20

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Explain the format, don’t quite get it, only 12 teams competing?

    Sorry - maybe not exactly 12 teams in a league, but multiple leagues.

    So, for example

    League
    Newcastle
    Norwich
    Man United
    Leeds United
    Cardiff
    Charlton
    Stanley
    Doncaster
    Peterborough
    Newport
    Carlisle
    Crewe

    There'd be a few leagues set up like this.

    Gate receipts shared 40% - 40% with the other 20% going to a hardship fund.

    Maybe the winning team from each league then plays a playoff with the games at Wembley. A bit like that Centenary tournament that took place in 1988.

    These leagues would take the place of the "missing" 2020/21 season and ensure that clubs lower down the pyramid get a share of money. Problem could be attendance and weakened sides, but I'm just hoping there is a festival atmosphere once this is all over and everybody will work together to get us back on our feet.

  21. #21

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If it does for this season, then it's going to feel very strange watching football in June. We've got nine league games to go, so say it got going again mid April, (Can't see it) then the season could go into July. It's going to be very odd and unseasonal which could add to a very strange atmosphere. Personally i don't think that the season will be completed, i hope not just to **** Leeds fans off. Just noticed that anything below national league has been cancelled for good and all results wiped out.
    ......we will still be rubbish? 🤷*♂️

  22. #22

    Re: When Football resumes..

    To be fair to mankind , and to elevate the stress for Leeds and Liverpool fans lets wipe out the results, its not fair they should suffer this not knowing wait ,let's give them a release .

  23. #23

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    ......we will still be rubbish? 🤷*♂️
    With this period providing ample recovery time for a few of our key injured players I think we will win the league

  24. #24

    Re: When Football resumes..

    My timescale

    15th June Players are allowed to return to Clubs for a short "Pre -Season" training programme

    3rd July Leagues restart

    14th August Leagues Finish

    Short Season break for Transfers/New Fixtures to be decided(after all the players will have had over two months off
    during March/April/May)

    19th September New Season starts with League Cup and other minor Competitions scrapped for one year.


    Might work and should still be able to finish in time for the Euros unless Pep and Jurgen complain about player burn-out.
    Still will depend on when and how restrictions are lifted.

  25. #25

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    My timescale

    15th June Players are allowed to return to Clubs for a short "Pre -Season" training programme

    3rd July Leagues restart

    14th August Leagues Finish

    Short Season break for Transfers/New Fixtures to be decided(after all the players will have had over two months off
    during March/April/May)

    19th September New Season starts with League Cup and other minor Competitions scrapped for one year.


    Might work and should still be able to finish in time for the Euros unless Pep and Jurgen complain about player burn-out.
    Still will depend on when and how restrictions are lifted.
    Decent plan.
    Your last sentence is the most important, though.
    I suspect that the tardiness of some countries may prolong this crisis.

  26. #26

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Sorry - maybe not exactly 12 teams in a league, but multiple leagues.

    So, for example

    League
    Newcastle
    Norwich
    Man United
    Leeds United
    Cardiff
    Charlton
    Stanley
    Doncaster
    Peterborough
    Newport
    Carlisle
    Crewe

    There'd be a few leagues set up like this.

    Gate receipts shared 40% - 40% with the other 20% going to a hardship fund.

    Maybe the winning team from each league then plays a playoff with the games at Wembley. A bit like that Centenary tournament that took place in 1988.

    These leagues would take the place of the "missing" 2020/21 season and ensure that clubs lower down the pyramid get a share of money. Problem could be attendance and weakened sides, but I'm just hoping there is a festival atmosphere once this is all over and everybody will work together to get us back on our feet.
    Whilst your plan is good for the right reasons, I can see managers of the top teams being precious about their multi-million pound stars.

    I can just see Klopp moaning every week complaining of Salah getting the shit kicked out of him by the Carlisle clogger.
    The top teams would be in a lose lose situation.

  27. #27

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    I can see this season becoming void like the national league and below
    They've set a precedent now, how can they apply different rules? Some teams in the lower leagues had as few as 5 games left, yet there season is cancelled & expunged.

  28. #28

    Re: When Football resumes..

    I think we should play a full season in 2020/21 starting in August which at the moment seems possible but carry over the games and points from this season into next season. So effectively promotion and relegation would be decided over performance from both the current season and next. So effectively decided over 83 games as in 37+46. If there are teams who have played less than others at this point they play the extra games at the very start of next season so that it’s all levelled up.

  29. #29

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    My timescale

    15th June Players are allowed to return to Clubs for a short "Pre -Season" training programme

    3rd July Leagues restart

    14th August Leagues Finish

    Short Season break for Transfers/New Fixtures to be decided(after all the players will have had over two months off
    during March/April/May)

    19th September New Season starts with League Cup and other minor Competitions scrapped for one year.


    Might work and should still be able to finish in time for the Euros unless Pep and Jurgen complain about player burn-out.
    Still will depend on when and how restrictions are lifted.
    Well Pedro agrees with me!

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52077977

  30. #30

    Re: When Football resumes..

    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Nor me. I suspect that we prepare for a longer term than 12 months of restrictions.
    I meant weeks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •