+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When Football resumes..

Re: When Football resumes..

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Sorry - maybe not exactly 12 teams in a league, but multiple leagues.

So, for example

League
    Newcastle
    Norwich
    Man United
    Leeds United
    Cardiff
    Charlton
    Stanley
    Doncaster
    Peterborough
    Newport
    Carlisle
    Crewe

There'd be a few leagues set up like this.

Gate receipts shared 40% - 40% with the other 20% going to a hardship fund.

Maybe the winning team from each league then plays a playoff with the games at Wembley. A bit like that Centenary tournament that took place in 1988.

These leagues would take the place of the "missing" 2020/21 season and ensure that clubs lower down the pyramid get a share of money. Problem could be attendance and weakened sides, but I'm just hoping there is a festival atmosphere once this is all over and everybody will work together to get us back on our feet.
    Whilst your plan is good for the right reasons, I can see managers of the top teams being precious about their multi-million pound stars.

I can just see Klopp moaning every week complaining of Salah getting the shit kicked out of him by the Carlisle clogger.
    The top teams would be in a lose lose situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    I can see this season becoming void like the national league and below
    They've set a precedent now, how can they apply different rules? Some teams in the lower leagues had as few as 5 games left, yet there season is cancelled & expunged.

I think we should play a full season in 2020/21 starting in August which at the moment seems possible but carry over the games and points from this season into next season. So effectively promotion and relegation would be decided over performance from both the current season and next. So effectively decided over 83 games as in 37+46. If there are teams who have played less than others at this point they play the extra games at the very start of next season so that it’s all levelled up.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    My timescale

15th June Players are allowed to return to Clubs for a short "Pre -Season" training programme

3rd July Leagues restart

14th August Leagues Finish

Short Season break for Transfers/New Fixtures to be decided(after all the players will have had over two months off
    during March/April/May)

19th September New Season starts with League Cup and other minor Competitions scrapped for one year.

Might work and should still be able to finish in time for the Euros unless Pep and Jurgen complain about player burn-out.
    Still will depend on when and how restrictions are lifted.
    Well Pedro agrees with me!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52077977

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Nor me. I suspect that we prepare for a longer term than 12 months of restrictions.
    I meant weeks.

Sorry - maybe not exactly 12 teams in a league, but multiple leagues.

So, for example

League
    Newcastle
    Norwich
    Man United
    Leeds United
    Cardiff
    Charlton
    Stanley
    Doncaster
    Peterborough
    Newport
    Carlisle
    Crewe

There'd be a few leagues set up like this.

Gate receipts shared 40% - 40% with the other 20% going to a hardship fund.

Maybe the winning team from each league then plays a playoff with the games at Wembley. A bit like that Centenary tournament that took place in 1988.

These leagues would take the place of the "missing" 2020/21 season and ensure that clubs lower down the pyramid get a share of money. Problem could be attendance and weakened sides, but I'm just hoping there is a festival atmosphere once this is all over and everybody will work together to get us back on our feet.
    ld.jpg

This current season will be scrapped. Next season will open behind closed doors, possibly in September/October. The season will be stopped again in the early winter time because of a second, stronger wave of the coronavirus. No football seasons will be completed until we have a vaccine for this thing. Life will be stop start until then.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    This current season will be scrapped. Next season will open behind closed doors, possibly in September/October. The season will be stopped again in the early winter time because of a second, stronger wave of the coronavirus. No football seasons will be completed until we have a vaccine for this thing. Life will be stop start until then.
    Once this wave is finished we will have a better idea of
    Number of asymptomatic infections
    Number of people with immunity
    More testing
    Closed borders to countries not able to show a clean bill of health

The second wave will be weaker if it is handled correctly.

I don't understand why starting next season is more important than finishing this season. Surely footballers and managers will not be so crass post covid to complain of too many games when we have NHS staff working 60 hour weeks or more.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I know it's impossible, football will retain its greed. My idea is simply to give smaller clubs a share of the top clubs' money.

This is the only sensible option in my opinion, each team retains the points they had gained and start new season with them, no promotions or relegations this season.

If and when we do finish this season, there are going to be even more odd results than usual in the Championship, which is saying something.

The lack of match sharpness will be evident and sides that had that relegation-haunted look about them a month or so ago may well have a completely different mindset following the enforced break and start to play with a new found sense of freedom.

I'm not sure yet if there has been any indication from football's top brass as to how the current season is likely to be concluded but whatever is decided is likely to be popular and unpopular in equal measure. Who knows, Liverpool and Leeds could be the biggest beneficiaries or losers of what will be the most momentous decision ever taken by footballing authorities in this country.

I know it's impossible, football will retain its greed. My idea is simply to give smaller clubs a share of the top clubs' money.
    I like the idea

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I like the idea
    After WW2, there was a season of regional football. My idea is based on that but, obviously, we won't be facing fuel rations so we are not limited to regions. If Accrington Stanley could get 3 highly paid away trips, for example, it could keep them afloat. I don't get why next season starting is more important than this season concluding.

Grassroots football has been scraped and 19-20 season will just be void, a shame for the top team in the league i coach in, as they had already won the league

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Grassroots football has been scraped and 19-20 season will just be void, a shame for the top team in the league i coach in, as they had already won the league
    The briefing today is suggesting a realistic six month period before normality is even thought about. Any thoughts on anything starting before August/September seems way off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    The briefing today is suggesting a realistic six month period before normality is even thought about. Any thoughts on anything starting before August/September seems way off the mark.
    That's exactly what I thought. Like it or not but we're in this together for benefit of worldwide health. Football is pretty much meaningless when there are lives at risk. If they aren't playing I think there should be a sliding scale of wage reductions for wealthy footballers, as most of us are going to struggle to make ends meet.

That's exactly what I thought. Like it or not but we're in this together for benefit of worldwide health. Football is pretty much meaningless when there are lives at risk. If they aren't playing I think there should be a sliding scale of wage reductions for wealthy footballers, as most of us are going to struggle to make ends meet.
    Footballers should have their money reduced because others are likely to struggle? Who keeps that money-The clubs? I don't think a rule can be brought in for footballers due to their financial position in comparison to others, if it did happen then the gap would still be the same. What would be the positives to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Footballers should have their money reduced because others are likely to struggle? Who keeps that money-The clubs? I don't think a rule can be brought in for footballers due to their financial position in comparison to others, if it did happen then the gap would still be the same. What would be the positives to it?
    Its always footballers that get this shit as well, never bankers, brokers, advertising directors etc, nor do other sportsmen like rugby players or other entertainers like actors

Could this be because footballers are generally from working class backgrounds?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Its always footballers that get this shit as well, never bankers, brokers, advertising directors etc, nor do other sportsmen like rugby players or other entertainers like actors

It's a bizarre suggestion to be honest. Who is going to enforce it? And as Tuerto says, who is going to collect it?

I think that it is because they're from working class backgrounds and the fact that it's football, alot of people seem to think that it's just 'kicking a pigs bladder in a muddy field' they don't seem to understand that it's one of the most difficult professions to become successful at on this planet, also, because the general public are removed from the other professions you mention then they don't really comment on them. I've seen people compare a nurses salary to that of a footballer, like it's relevant. Ofcourse nurses should be on more, it's a completely separate issue. The working class do like to attack the working class.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Is that just England - I've not seen anything official yet for Wales - although I can't see it restarting.

Most rugby clubs are cutting pay to be fair.

I don't think footballers should take a pay cut because others are likely to struggle - they should take a cut because their employers are getting little or no revenue coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Maybe I'm a step ahead in my thinking on this one. If football doesn't kick a ball for the next 6 months, then clubs will be financially gimped by players wages. Where is the money going to come from? It won't come from the fans. Owners are not allowed to pump in that much money either. We, the public won't be able to sustain the current level of footballers salaries for the next 6+ months. We are going through a recession with millions likely to lose their jobs. Other football clubs have cut wages in some big teams. I think I saw German clubs were doing it.

Maybe I'm a step ahead in my thinking on this one. If football doesn't kick a ball for the next 6 months, then clubs will be financially gimped by players wages. Where is the money going to come from? It won't come from the fans. Owners are not allowed to pump in that much money either. We, the public won't be able to sustain the current level of footballers salaries for the next 6+ months. We are going through a recession with millions likely to lose their jobs. Other football clubs have cut wages in some big teams. I think I saw German clubs were doing it.
    Why would we pay them?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Why would we pay them?
    Who do you think pays players wages?

If everyone cancels Sky/BT sport, if there are no games to play, if advertisers pull out and the public aren't spending money going to football games then how can players expect to be paid their normal salaries? It will just put our club and many others deeper in trouble if they keep paying such high salaries. The reason I don't mention bankers, brokers or others is because this is a football forum and I want my club to be around long after the current group of players are gone. If the government have set a cap of £2500 on financial help then I don't think players should be earning upwards of £10,000 a week, even taking into account their short careers.

I've just seen Barcelona announce a 70% reduction on player salaries. It might be the only way to save football clubs.