+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are the supermarkets out there

How are the supermarkets out there

Last time I went shop was about a week ago and they’d started to catch up with stock and strolled straight in and could get most things

Running low on essentials ie nappies milk wet wipes bread, gin so going to have to go again soon. Ok for toilet rolls

I’ve heard people are queuing to get in is this right? I don’t use Facebook so just what people are saying on news. And if so any places quieter than others? Planning ponty Lidl or treforest Aldi

Re: How are the supermarkets out there

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Last time I went shop was about a week ago and they’d started to catch up with stock and strolled straight in and could get most things

Running low on essentials ie nappies milk wet wipes bread, gin so going to have to go again soon. Ok for toilet rolls

I’ve heard people are queuing to get in is this right? I don’t use Facebook so just what people are saying on news. And if so any places quieter than others? Planning ponty Lidl or treforest Aldi
    I think that all shops have a capacity that they think is safe enough at any one time, so there are queues to get into the shops with a 2mtr distance between shoppers waiting to get in. This obviously changes when you get inside the shop as their seems to be plenty of people out there who seem to think that going to the supermarket is some kind of social outing with the family and procrastinating over which ****ing cucumber looks best is absolutely fine given the circumstances. Get in and get out.

Ok thanks. Stupid dicks. Yeah my intention is get in keep a distance and get out, unless you’re on your own I don’t know why anyone would risk taking their kids

Morrisons in Swansea very busy first thing in the morning,found it better after 2pm with only two people in front of me and plenty
    of food on the shelves.

I have heard that ASDA are only allowing 1 family member to go in to shop and no children allowed at all

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post

I was in Upper Boat Aldi and it was fine. Bit low on fresh meat but that was all.

There was about 6 people in there and two numpties were complaining with staff that there was only one till open and they had to queue two metres apart.

I went shopping for my parents yesterday morning at the Sainsburys Local in Rhiwbina and Morrisons in Llanshen. Both stores have introduced queuing systems outside and are only allowing a small amount of people in at any one time. They are operating a one out, one in system. I had to queue outside Sainsburys for about 20 minutes and outside Morrisons for about 30 minutes.

The Sainsburys is a relatively small shop. It was reasonably well-stocked, but I've heard from friends that for some reason various Sainsburys stores, both small and large, are still missing lots of key items on their shelves in recent days.

Morrisons was well-stocked, which is ironic as it's often useless. Plenty of bread and milk, lots of fresh meat, loads of fruit and veg, lots of frozen stuff, plenty of tinned food, a good stock of toilet roll and some rice although not a lot. The only thing they appeared to be missing was pasta.

People were generally behaving and shopping sensibly, although I did see two young couples carrying babies into Morrisons, while there were a few pensioners dotted around who were obviously in their seventies or eighties. What made them most alarming was the fact that they were accompanied in the store by friends and family. For me, that demonstrates a special kind of stupid, but it's not a great surprise given how moronic a significant percentage of the population is.

My partner went on her first shopping trip for a week last night at 7pm. She went to M&S in Llanishen. They were out of milk but had everything else she wanted and there was apparently plenty of fresh meat and vegetables on the shelves. She was the only customer in the shop.

Morrisons down the Bay have been preparing us for this for years.
    The shelves are always empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Morrisons down the Bay have been preparing us for this for years.
    The shelves are always empty.
    Morrisons over the Morfa was well stocked yesterday,Dont forget to salute when you pass the Liberty stadium Jimmy.

I've been trying to limit my shopping. I normaly go two or three times a week. Sometimes twice on the weekend depending on what we feel like eating. I went last Tuesday and I'm trying not to go again until at least this Tuesday. I'm torn between staying away as long as possible and going back to get more food before it gets even worse. I wore a mask and gloves last time. And had no touble getting in or out. I should have got potatoes though. And a whole chicken. I've been having difficulty finding eggs and ground beef (had to get turkey - ugh). My mother-in-law gave us a dozen eggs yesterday so that's sorted for now. There's an extra gallon of milk in the downstairs fridge and we probably have enough food to get by for at least another week. We're supposed to be at least 2 weeks before the spread of the virus peaks, so I'll think about what to do over the next couple of days.

International

They were queuing to get into Tesco on Western Ave yesterday afternoon, with a distancing protocal in force and idfferent in and out doors. Most things were available barring pasta and tinned things like beans. People were being sensible, there were packs of loo rolls on the shelf, and I was able to but a new hand wash to replace the one in my Bathroom which is almost empty.
    All in all as near normal as you can expect in the circumstances. Apparently most people try to get there in the morning assuming (wrongly) that the deliveries are all made at night. So it is quite busy then which May explain TLG's long queuing time.

I miss the central market where I always buy my large eggs (huge) which I discovered my butcher gets from france evey week, and good quality fresh meat cut the way you ask when you ask.

Went to upper boat Aldi in the end
    Shelves are pretty full nothing essential you couldn’t get. They anti bac your hands and wipe your trolley as you go in, no real queues just wait for last person to clear the first aisle
    Most people acting sensibly except the odd c*** having a chat.
    On the way out they have designated packing stations to help people keep distance
    Spooky though and did feel quite anxious just going there. Staff are doing an immense job

Then had to call to Tesco for a few ‘essentials’ my elderly neighbour needed which were quite random. It’s funny what old people consider to be essential. I guess not quite getting the idea of corona and not quite old enough to remember fully the war Tesco on the other hand no one seemed to be following any kind of sense. People congregating for chats and not keeping distance

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I've been trying to limit my shopping. I normaly go two or three times a week. Sometimes twice on the weekend depending on what we feel like eating. I went last Tuesday and I'm trying not to go again until at least this Tuesday. I'm torn between staying away as long as possible and going back to get more food before it gets even worse. I wore a mask and gloves last time. And had no touble getting in or out. I should have got potatoes though. And a whole chicken. I've been having difficulty finding eggs and ground beef (had to get turkey - ugh). My mother-in-law gave us a dozen eggs yesterday so that's sorted for now. There's an extra gallon of milk in the downstairs fridge and we probably have enough food to get by for at least another week. We're supposed to be at least 2 weeks before the spread of the virus peaks, so I'll think about what to do over the next couple of days.

I've been wiping-down everything I buy at the supermarket before I bring it up to to the kitchen too. Pain in the arse.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Apparently most people try to get there in the morning assuming (wrongly) that the deliveries are all made at night. So it is quite busy then which May explain TLG's long queuing time.
    I should have added that I called into the same Morrisons mid-afternoon on Thursday to get some stuff for myself and the queuing time was literally a couple of minutes. Yesterday the queue was long, but everyone was keeping 2m apart. In fact, most people were about 4m apart, which made the queue look longer than it actually needed to be.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I should have added that I called into the same Morrisons mid-afternoon on Thursday to get some stuff for myself and the queuing time was literally a couple of minutes. Yesterday the queue was long, but everyone was keeping 2m apart. In fact, most people were about 4m apart, which made the queue look longer than it actually needed to be.
    Yes I get that. i do think joe average (or the nagging wife) gets to the store early thinknig there will be greater choice but afternoons are less pressured and quicker.
    I went to Asda at the mtorway the other day and there were only a few there and plenty on the shelves including the allegedly elusive toilet rolls

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It was like Christmas there about a fortnight ago. 15 tills working flat out with big queues at each one. Sounds like things have settled down to the new normal, which is good.

Just testing

Middle of rural Iowa (Ames, actually) and I'm certainly taking every precaution being very much in the 'at risk' age group.

We are limiting trips for food shopping although are usually pretty well stocked at any time. There was a rush on sanitizer, loo rolls etc initially but that seems to have settled now that the students have left this university town and won't be back until September.

For those that may be interested, here's an update on stats for Iowa (UK = 60m acres, Iowa =35m) as of Friday:

There have been 235 positive tests and 3 deaths since the crisis began;

At the moment only 45 cases are hospitalised;

49 of Iowa's 100 counties have no cases at all. Of the other counties only 3 have more than 10 with positive results;

There's a cluster of 6 counties 100 miles east of Ames which have the majority of cases originating, it seems, from a group returning from holiday in Italy 3/4 weeks ago.

The only other county reporting high (40) numbers contains the State capital, Des Moines.

So the situation here is quite different from what's dominating the news from the big US cities and across Europe.

I won't be slacking on taking precautions, though, and hope you guys won't be too; stay safe my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I've been wiping-down everything I buy at the supermarket before I bring it up to to the kitchen too. Pain in the arse.
    At Tesco on Thursday most people were queuing up with their bare hands on the trolley handle whilst using a mobile phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    At Tesco on Thursday most people were queuing up with their bare hands on the trolley handle whilst using a mobile phone.
    Ugh!

Sainsburys in Swadlincote had a queue of about 6 people in front of me. Managed to get most things but tinned food stocks are very low and no (SHOCK!!!) mushy peas!

Avoiding supermarkets , trying to spend my money with small local Independent shops , like butchers
    , fruit and veg outlets, and small convenience shops they need us more than ever now .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Avoiding supermarkets , trying to spend my money with small local Independent shops , like butchers
    , fruit and veg outlets, and small convenience shops they need us more than ever now .
    Crikey, How many times a week do you go shopping for basic necessities?

Went shopping yesterday, I wore a pair of those thin disposable gloves, I was shocked how dirty they were when I took them off. Forget the virus, the things we touch in normal times must be minging.

[QUOTE=splott parker;5060077]Went shopping yesterday, I wore a pair of those thin disposable gloves, I was shocked how dirty they were when I took them off. Forget the virus, the things we touch in normal times must be minging.[/QUOTE]

You told the Missus you posted this on a messageboard yet?