+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Vitamins and Minerals

Vitamins and Minerals

Always an interesting debate in general, but my question is does anyone recommend anything specifically and why?

While I agree the vast majority of them are a waste of money, some must do some good!
    Personally, I take 1 daily multivitamin, 1 cod liver capsule and 2-3 glucomannan if on restricted calories.

I will not buy glucomannan again (weight loss aid) as the science is sketchy and did not do much for me, but I am interested in experimenting with new stuff for general health.

My GP loves probiotics and is obsessed with understanding gut bacteria atm, so may look into that a bit more.

Re: Vitamins and Minerals

I used to take a multivitamin. But it started giving me really bad indigestion. I also took cod liver oil but just stopped for no reason. I can't even remember when. Might start back up with those tomorrow if I can find some around the house. I eat plain, full-fat yoghurt for probiotics.

I add 2 tablespoons of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar to a glass of warm water each morning, coupled with some honey (for taste).
    I specifically use Bragg's because it contains what's known as the 'mother'. This is a sediment that has natural chains of protein enzymes.
    If you do use it, I would recommend you drink it through a straw, it's quite acidic and is not going to be good for your tooth enamel.

I always keep a good stock of 1g. effervescent Vit C tablets. If I ever I get a sore throat then I immediately take Vit C as for me historically a sore throat is usually the prelude to a cold or some other kind of viral "thing". I take 1g three times a day for the first day and that usually does the job. If I still feel under the weather then I continue but gradually reducing the dose. Of course this is all completely anecdotal, but all I can say is I very rarely get a cold these days even if surrounded by folk who are coughing/sneezing. The critical factor seems to be that the treatment has to begin immediately, even a day's delay can make all the difference (bit like acyclovir cream and cold sores).

All the vitamins and minerals you need should be obtainable from a good healthy diet.
    Vitamins and minerals are sold by advertising and in some cases too much of a certain vitamin can be a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I add 2 tablespoons of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar to a glass of warm water each morning, coupled with some honey (for taste).
    I specifically use Bragg's because it contains what's known as the 'mother'. This is a sediment that has natural chains of protein enzymes.
    If you do use it, I would recommend you drink it through a straw, it's quite acidic and is not going to be good for your tooth enamel.
    I take that daily mainly because it supposed to be good at reducing blood pressure - always find it no problem to drink, so assume I'm diluting too much.

What benefits does it have ?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    What benefits does it have ?
    It has many alleged benefits. However, just like TOBW, I use it for reducing blood pressure, it's great at lowering cholesterol levels. Many people use it for helping with weight loss too.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I take that daily mainly because it supposed to be good at reducing blood pressure - always find it no problem to drink, so assume I'm diluting too much.
    Yeah, I've had it without the honey, and as you say, it's not unpalatable.

I buy the key ones individually rather than multivitamins.

I tend to buy Solgar due to its quality .

Before you buy find out the correct daily allowance
    I suffered badly with cold over the years but found the following very good and has kept them at bay :

Zinc Picolinate 22mg . this Zinc absorbs better into your body great immune booster and is good with respiratory conditions .

Vitamin D3 in winter.

Vitamin C consume as much as you can another immune booster.

It has many alleged benefits. However, just like TOBW, I use it for reducing blood pressure, it's great at lowering cholesterol levels. Many people use it for helping with weight loss too.
    Who sells it and whats the best brand? Oh and how much do you drink per day

Try Amazon

Well, I believe that you should be able to buy it in any large supermarket. 'Bragg' is the best known brand but whatever brand you do buy, make sure it contains the all important 'mother'.
    Given my location I can only buy it online, however, you should have no problem sourcing it in the UK. I made my own due to the high cost and inconvenience I was experiencing having to buy it online (there are plenty of YouTube videos out there).
    It is recommended that you take 1-2 tablespoons in a glass of water per day.