+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is this Virus Worse in Spain & Italy?

Re: Why is this Virus Worse in Spain & Italy?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It only doesn’t look as bad here yet because we haven’t ramped up testing. Thanks to the dithering by Boris and his useless puppet of a scientific advisor Sir Patrick Herd Immunity Valance the UK will probably end up worse than both.

It took a premier league football manager to contract the virus before this country started taking it serious ffs.
    Well the reason for that was explained in today's 5PM talk. Apparently the chemicals used to make the test are in high demand...

The school holidays didn't help with lots of skiers descending on Northern Italy. That's largely been the cause of the spread throughout Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Yes. Last year I visited Moldova, Ukraine and Belarus - and which meant that I have visited every country in Europe.
    Belarus (aka White Russia) is meant to a very repressive state but the capital, Minsk, is clean, sophisticated and stylish (unlike the Couchsurfing host who was meant to accommodate me for the first night of my stay).
    I'd like to visit some of the ex soviet Block countries in the future. What was Moldova like? isn't it supposed to be the poorest country in Europe? Albania is a country i'd like to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    Well the reason for that was explained in today's 5PM talk. Apparently the chemicals used to make the test are in high demand...
    That’s been the party line since the Q and A’s started nearly 3 weeks ago.

I mean, it’s not like we didn’t know this virus was about to descend on our country months ago.

But hey ho, Herd Immunity and all that, we don’t need tests, let’s just kill off the elderly, they were going to die soon anyway and after all chemicals are expensive.

And now today we hear that the Welsh NHS thought they had secured a large supply of tests but have been gazumped by the English NHS. Obviously English lives matter more.

Add to that all around the country some front line NHS staff have still NOT been tested and haven’t all had PPE and mugs like you want to accept the disruption to the supply chain line they keep churning out every day.

Do me a ****ing favour.

"We may manage flu like viruses better via our DNA."

What do you mean?

International

[QUOTE=J R Hartley;5060769]That’s been the party line since the Q and A’s started nearly 3 weeks ago.

I mean, it’s not like we didn’t know this virus was about to descend on our country months ago.

But hey ho, Herd Immunity and all that, we don’t need tests, let’s just kill off the elderly, they were going to die soon anyway and after all chemicals are expensive.

And now today we hear that the Welsh NHS thought they had secured a large supply of tests but have been gazumped by the English NHS. Obviously English lives matter more.

Add to that all around the country some front line NHS staff have still NOT been tested and haven’t all had PPE and mugs like you want to accept the disruption to the supply chain line they keep churning out every day.

Good to see you here. I must have been missing you if you've been posting. I was quite concerned but you're clearly on your normal good form.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    My theory no proof:

We may manage flu like viruses better via our DNA.
    We have less elderly.
    Quality of life for elderly better in UK than in rural parts of Italy and Spain.
    Better health services.
    More disposable income to support a varied diet
    Better public health than the outer rural areas of Spain and Italy.
    Its vastness of land , may hinder health care reach

It is interesting that the UK and Germany are coping better I would hazard a guess if has better benefits than a number of European countries .

These are just thoughts, probably wrong .
    WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. ****.?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Good to see you here. I must have been missing you if you've been posting. I was quite concerned but you're clearly on your normal good form.
    For my own sanity and mental health I’ve tried not to get involved on forums and social media too much of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    So, so wrong.
    Frightening

First Team

The epidemiology around this is very complex with lots of moving parts. There are very few (if any) reliable sets of data around at the moment.

Drawing any kind of conclusions based on statistics that are publicly available is folly. For example, there is a syndromic Emergency Department tracking system employed by the CDC (that I think is not publicly available) for US hospitals that has been used to infer the current incidence in NYC is a factor of 11x as great as that reported by positives from testing. Just to be clear that's not deaths, it means 11x more people currently have the virus but aren't being included in the reported cases in NYC. (If true, that is a kind of good news because, assuming deaths are being accurately reported, the death rate must be lower than the raw deaths to cases rate you can calculate from the public data.)

International

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    For my own sanity and mental health I’ve tried not to get involved on forums and social media too much of late.
    Seems like a very good plan !!!

My theory no proof:

We have less elderly.
    Quality of life for elderly better in UK than in rural parts of Italy and Spain.
    Better health services.

It is interesting that the UK and Germany are coping better I would hazard a guess if has better benefits than a number of European countries .

Bloody hell

Banned

My theory no proof:

We have less elderly.
    Better health services.

You think we have a more varied diet than the Mediterranean countries?

You then compare Germany (rigorous testing) with the UK. Laughable.

Isn’t the reason that they have a larger older generation down to their better diet & lifestyle?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

What do you mean?
    I can't wait for this one either

Wait does he think British people have different DNA to italian people?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

What do you mean?
    PWOPER WHITE PEOPLE DON'T DIE AS MUCH AS THE TANNED BECAUSE WE'RE 'ARD!

What else could the person who previously said that minority ethnicities can't be natural-born Brits have meant?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Isn’t the reason that they have a larger older generation down to their better diet & lifestyle?
    Quite likely, and the fact that most other European Countries haven't worked as many hours as us, and maybe because it seems (especially in the Latin Countries) That they get more enjoyment and spend more time together with family members, not just at pissed up events like us Brits (a bit general, i know) Although i once heard a comedian say that he went to India and met a man who was 98 years old, had one tooth and slept in a bin, so who knows...

Heisenberg

My theory no proof:

We may manage flu like viruses better via our DNA. Hilarious. Dangerous thinking, but hilarious
    We have less elderly. Less than Italy but figures suggest we have more than Spain (we have a slightly lower amount of elderly as a percentage of the population but we have a larger population than them by approximately 20m
    Quality of life for elderly better in UK than in rural parts of Italy and Spain. On what basis did you concoct that theory? Either you don't know what 'rural' means or you've never seen what rural Italy and Spain look like. That's a quality of life that I'd dream of. Also you're comparing the quality of life in an entire nation to rural areas of others - that doesn't work unless the other countries are entirely consisted of 'rural' areas
    Better health services. We're miles behind Italy and Spain in terms of health services. Just Google any variation of 'best healthcare systems in the world' and see the evidence for yourself.
    More disposable income to support a varied diet Why does disposable income suggest a varied diet? The obesity rates in the UK are much higher than Italy and Spain - so looks like you're wrong again... unless a 'varied diet' means getting a boneless bucket instead of a big mac on occasion
    Better public health than the outer rural areas of Spain and Italy. Are you saying the entire UK has better public health than the "outer rural areas of Spain and Italy" or that the 'outer rural areas of the UK having better public health than the outer rural areas of Spain and Italy". Also, what's an outer rural area?
    Its vastness of land , may hinder health care reach Vastness of land???

It is interesting that the UK and Germany are coping better I would hazard a guess if has better benefits than a number of European countries .Is the UK coping better or are we just a few weeks behind Italy in terms of dealing with the virus? The figures suggest the latter, unfortunately.

As said previously... so, so wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think initially it wasn't taken as seriously as it was here, plus they're both very social countries and quit tactile with friends etc.

During the first few weeks of their "lock down" people were still going to bars and restaurants etc.

Also Italy at least has an old population.

Not sure if they are the exact reasons but those are the ones I've read.

Taken as seriously in the UK? Are you serious? Cheltenham, Bars, a leader stating "take it on the chin, shaking hands with patients, people singing f*** the virus in packed bars, sold out gigs etc.

What rock have you been hiding under? 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Taken as seriously in the UK? Are you serious? Cheltenham, Bars, a leader stating "take it on the chin, shaking hands with patients, people singing f*** the virus in packed bars, sold out gigs etc.

What rock have you been hiding under? ��
    Yeah and it was a lot worse a lot further along the curve in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Wait does he think British people have different DNA to italian people?
    We have blood, they have ragu sauce...

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    No

All the youngsters have fkd off to find work leaving behind half empty towns and villages almost depopulated some areas

I thought I'd resurrect this thread in light of the fact that yesterday's UK deaths figure was higher than anything recorded by Italy and lower than the figure for Spain on just one day - it looks certain now that death and new cases rates are declining in those two countries, so it's unlikely that they will record higher figures in the future unless they come in a second wave of the virus.

There has to be a likelihood that the UK will go beyond that Spanish highest day soon, so perhaps the question should be why are our figures so bad? I started this with a desire not to get political about the COVID19 crisis in this country, but it's become a whole lot harder to do that when you see us on a par with those Mediterranean countries with no definite signs yet of rates plateauing here yet and worse off than most Northern European countries on the mainland.

It does feel like this thread really jumped the gun with this question.