City in the 2000s - awards

Something to while away a few moments.

4 categories:

Best City goal of the millennium
    Best goal against City of the millennium
    City own goal of the millennium
    City moment of the millennium

Best City goal of the millennium

So many contenders. Whitts has a competition of his own! Hudson from inside his own half is a contender. One of Paterson's 6 yard box scuffs too. Mine has to be Earnshaw's volley against Stoke. I was at the back of the bob bank that afternoon when he seemed to control it with his shoulder, then thumped it right into the top corner of De Goey's net. I didn't celebrate. I stood there open mouthed in disbelief. It's the only time I've seen a goal live that has had that effect.

Best goal against City of the millennium

An early one, but probably Marco Gabbiadini's 45 yarder for Northampton. I recall most of the ground applauding it.

City own goal of the millennium

Again, many contenders, Andy Jordan, Jason Bowen, but Darren Purse's majestic volley past Enckelman wins this. Even Ali was almost too embarrassed to announce it!

City moment of the millennium

A difficult one to judge. The promotion under Warnock was probably more special than winning the Championship 5 years before. Watching the team play a Wembley FA cup semifinal and then a final was amazing.

For sheer euphoria, for a moment in time, I think Ben Turner's equaliser in the Carling Cup final was as good as it got. Probably just ahead of Chopra's last gasp Jack-beating strike.

Over to you all

Re: City in the 2000s - awards

Best goal of the Millennium - I'll go for a Whitts goal, but quite a simple finish to complete his hat trick and cap a superb team move at Sheffield United.
    Best opposition goal - one that springs to mind to me is the one Billing scored for Huddersfield down here in 16/17.
    Own goal - has to be Jason Bowen against Crewe.
    Moment - I think it has to be Ben Turner, but I'll give an honourable mention to a couple of others - Joe Ledley's goal against Barnsley in the FA Cup Semi Final which ensured qualification for a major domestic Cup Final and Craig Bellamy's "homecoming" goal on his City debut against Doncaster.

I will only include goals I've seen at games

Goal- Whitts against Barnsley
    2nd Hudson
    3rd Earnie

Opposition goal - gabbiadini, strangely I draw a blank when thinking of any goals against us.

Own goals
    Bowen

Moment- Turner goal against Liverpool, almost won us a trophy and whilst it wasn't to be in those 5 minutes there was that chance.
    In the grand scheme of things Scott Young goal wasn't that important but certainly at the time felt massive. I think late goals are ones you can celebrate that bit more

I've missed a number of big moments due to being away
    Last game at Ninian Park
    Leicester play off games
    The game we won promotion for the first time
    Reading game

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I've missed a number of big moments due to being away
    Last game at Ninian Park
    You didn't miss much, apart from the firework "spectacular". This wins anticlimax of the millennium!