+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awash With Money

Awash With Money

And the Premier League teams can't pay their non playing staff in full, expecting players to take wage cuts (shouldn't be paying over inflated wages in the first place) sending staff on furlough and expecting the government to cough up 80% of their pay. They all deserve to go to the wall.

Re: Awash With Money

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    And the Premier League teams can't pay their non playing staff in full, expecting players to take wage cuts (shouldn't be paying over inflated wages in the first place) sending staff on furlough and expecting the government to cough up 80% of their pay. They all deserve to go to the wall.
    That is the society we live in.

I am still not missing football, making me think about my season tickets.

Who are doing it so far? Newcastle and Spurs? I know they don't have much income at the moment but surely they should still be able to afford to pay everyone.

And surely the players, manager and board should be the first to take a pay cut.

Spurs used to be a team that a lot of people liked. Did the things the right way, sensible transfer strategy, played good football, a group of likeable players. Today they became the most vile club in English football. According to reports, they will use the governments furlough scheme, so that staff will get a 20% pay cut. Non-playing staff that is. The 8th richest club in world football will use taxpayers money to save themselves a few quid.

To put it another way, the staff at the club who are paid the least amount of money, are taking pay cuts, while those on million pound contracts (including Daniel Levy) will lose out on nothing. What percentage wage cut do you think the players would need to take to save the same amount of money? 5%? 10% If this news today is true, then Spurs are nothing short of a disgrace. Shame on Levy and shame on Spurs.
    Quite shocking really

Chair of the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee Julian Knight said the decision "exposes the crazy economics in English football and the moral vacuum at its centre".

"It sticks in the throat that clubs are continuing to pay their stars hundreds of thousands a week while furloughing staff on a few hundred pounds a week."

Well do something about it don't subsidise these Clubs

Surely if you were on 200k a week you would offer to take a pay cut to help the other staff. Surely if you're a chairman on 3 to 6 million a year you'd take a pay cut before doing this.

I would have thought that their main income - television money still comes in - season ticket money is still there. it's only walk ups and merchandise thats affected.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Surely if you were on 200k a week you would offer to take a pay cut to help the other staff. Surely if you're a chairman on 3 to 6 million a year you'd take a pay cut before doing this.
    A lot of this will be remembered when this disaster is over.

I'd like to think that fans would refuse to watch their team at Newcastle (Ashley, what a surprise) or Spurs but that isn't going to happen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    I would have thought that their main income - television money still comes in - season ticket money is still there. it's only walk ups and merchandise thats affected.
    They are pulling a fast one. No surprise Ashley was one of the first to do this.

This isn't just happening in football though. It's happening to people in factories and all sorts, enforced holidays, enforced pay cuts etc.
    I'm amazed at the businesses hitting thr wall too, Laura Ashley, Carluccios etc. do they not run with some form of cash reserve in case sales take a down turn?

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    This isn't just happening in football though. It's happening to people in factories and all sorts, enforced holidays, enforced pay cuts etc.
    I'm amazed at the businesses hitting thr wall too, Laura Ashley, Carluccios etc. do they not run with some form of cash reserve in case sales take a down turn?
    That’s true, but those businesses aren’t get millions through sky and BT, and in the main it’s only the non playing staff getting stiffed. One players salary at Spurs would easily cover all those “furloughed” an d the government wouldn’t have to top up their pay. The whole thing stinks. They’re pulling a fast one.

Dan Roan, BBC sports editor

'This has the potential to turn into one of the gravest PR disasters in the Premier League's history.

Many are now asking whether the government's taxpayer-funded job retention scheme was really designed for clubs who - in the case of Spurs for instance - have profits of £68m, a Bahamas-based owner worth £4bn, a chairman paid £7m, and players who, on average, earn £70,000 per week.'

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Dan Roan, BBC sports editor

'This has the potential to turn into one of the gravest PR disasters in the Premier League's history.

Many are now asking whether the government's taxpayer-funded job retention scheme was really designed for clubs who - in the case of Spurs for instance - have profits of £68m, a Bahamas-based owner worth £4bn, a chairman paid £7m, and players who, on average, earn £70,000 per week.'
    The reason they have all that money is because they will use every loophole to save/ protect their money.....

They are different breed . They have no or very little moral code. Its almost impossible to become
    fantastically wealthy and be nice.

Professional football in this country should learn from the Bundesliga where, in the main, billionaire major shareholders have less of a say and fans have a major stake in the clubs. Ticket prices are low even though public transport to home games is included in the ticket price.

The Premier League (and others) will tell you that we need to finish the season because it's only right that these clubs can achieve what they deserve. They will play at your heart strings and even rip up next season to try to do it. However, the real reason is £££. If the season gets scrapped the broadcasters will sue the PL and clubs to get their money back.

I wouldn't pay to watch matches behind closed doors on TV. What are they going to do, get giant murals covering the terraces like Arsenal did in the 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    If the season gets scrapped the broadcasters will sue the PL and clubs to get their money back.
    The clubs don't get paid TV money in advance, do they?

So they will save (over the year, if this lasts that long) about 400,000.
    If the players took a 10% reduction in their obscene wages they would save more than that in one week

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The clubs don't get paid TV money in advance, do they?
    I thought so too until I heard journalists talking about it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...n-not-finished

This doesn't mention payment in advance, but I definitely heard journo's saying clubs would have to pay money back.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...y-coronavirus/

This article mentions paying £750m back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...y-coronavirus/

This article mentions paying £750m back.
    Would that mean our parachute money takes a hit? That’s obviously Premier League money.

I find it amazing (actually I don’t, which is the really sad part) that some Premier League players don’t offer to forego just a relatively small part of their comically large wages to allow people with normal jobs at their clubs to carry on working/functioning.

How can they live with themselves? I just don’t believe that ALL of them are SO selfish.

A small part of me wonders if this is actually happening in places but the players have chosen not to publicise their own graciousness. :-/ Some hope though.....

Fox aka Sky in Australia have turned the tap off for for football, NRL and rugby. No more money and a moot point still on the advance payments as the NRL season was just starting. Most players here are taking 50% cuts, senior management 50% and laying people off for 3 months praying things get better

Remember the quote “The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing”?
    A similar quote on this subject, could go “ The only thing necessary for the obscene financial structure of modern day football, is for millions of people to support it””.
    The irony in this thread alone is staggering.
    Has it taken this Covid- 19 virus for us to realise the greed in football? No. We see it before our very eyes week in week out, but we continue to contribute to it.
    We reap what we sew.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Remember the quote “The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing”?
    A similar quote on this subject, could go “ The only thing necessary for the obscene financial structure of modern day football, is for millions of people to support it””.
    The irony in this thread alone is staggering.
    Has it taken this Covid- 19 virus for us to realise the greed in football? No. We see it before our very eyes week in week out, but we continue to contribute to it.
    We reap what we sew.
    If accurate, the second series of ‘Sunderland til I Die’ states that the average Premier league player’s salary is £64k per WEEK. The average Championship player’s salary is £16k per WEEK.