+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gary Medel - cult hero at Cardiff?

Gary Medel - cult hero at Cardiff?

Wales Online are scraping around to produce online content and Glen Williams has come up with this piece on El Pitbull.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...n-day-18019756

It reads like a load of cobblers to me.

Medel was certainly a cult figure for Chile and for some of his previous clubs - but for Cardiff?

He came here saying openly he saw us as a stepping stone to a bigger club in the EPL. He had a pretty good first half of the season, but seemed to switch off and lose interest for the second half. He was then off when we were relegated without a second thought or backward glance.

Cult hero? No way - or is my memory playing tricks?

Re: Gary Medel - cult hero at Cardiff?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Wales Online are scraping around to produce online content and Glen Williams has come up with this piece on El Pitbull.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...n-day-18019756

It reads like a load of cobblers to me.

Medel was certainly a cult figure for Chile and for some of his previous clubs - but for Cardiff?

He came here saying openly he saw us as a stepping stone to a bigger club in the EPL. He had a pretty good first half of the season, but seemed to switch off and lose interest for the second half. He was then off when we were relegated without a second thought or backward glance.

Cult hero? No way - or is my memory playing tricks?
    I don't think that he was. He was better for us when we were more organised and a tighter unit, as soon as the gaps and cracks appeared then he was playing like a third central defender. When we beat the jacks at the Liberty he ran the show, made it look easy.

He's not one of the first names I think of looking back on our Premier League season. Given how rubbish we were defensively that season, I don't recall it being a case of him being outstanding while the back 4 were utter gash.

El Pitbull?

More like El Poodle.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    He's not one of the first names I think of looking back on our Premier League season. Given how rubbish we were defensively that season, I don't recall it being a case of him being outstanding while the back 4 were utter gash.
    He was the clean up and set up man. Took the ball from the back four and set up the play or put himself in positions where he could intercept the ball, he was doing alright until our shape completely went and the back four became even further away from the midfield, poor bastard didn't stand a chance. He was to technical for us.

Looked like he had a spare tyre around his midriff and never looked fully-fit to me.
    Played very short, simple passes, usually sideways or backwards. Never got to see any of his fabled tenacity either.

It was 'El Poodle' for me...

Wasnt he the first player in the premier league to record a 100% pass completion rate in a game (over 50 passes). Against Fulham I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't think that he was. He was better for us when we were more organised and a tighter unit, as soon as the gaps and cracks appeared then he was playing like a third central defender. When we beat the jacks at the Liberty he ran the show, made it look easy.
    We got done 3-0 down there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Wasnt he the first player in the premier league to record a 100% pass completion rate in a game (over 50 passes). Against Fulham I think.
    Yes, I think he was. As mentioned earlier, it was like having two different players - up to about a fortnight before Christmas 2013 Medel was, maybe, the most important player in a team that was struggling, but were in with as good a chance as four or five other teams of staying up and a better chance than one or two, but after that he played like someone who didn't want to be here. I wouldn't say the change coincided with Malky Mackay's sacking, it happened a bit before that. As for a cult hero? No, he could certainly have become one in different circumstances, but, for too much of his time, it seemed like he was just passing through.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We got done 3-0 down there.
    Think he means the home game because, as I remember it, he very good that day.

Doubt I would class him as a cult hero

Be never really looked the player he was hyped to be

Sideways pass's and didnt tackle like we thought he would

I can think of many more players that i would say were a " cult hero "

In the short space of time he was with us, he was a good player and with a bit more quality around him he would probably have been even better.

He had a really good world cup after he left us if I remember but although I would judge his time here as memorable, I would say he was a long way away from cult hero status.

How could anyone be a cult hero after one season, ending in relegation at that.

Not a bad player, but certainly not someone I'd look back on and think much of. Don't mean that disrespectfully, more his time here was fleeting and it rather felt like a loan player. Not a koumas one either.

You would have thought that, to be a cult hero, you’ve got to be at least a hero in the first place. IMHO he certainly wasn’t that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Looked like he had a spare tyre around his midriff and never looked fully-fit to me.
    Played very short, simple passes, usually sideways or backwards. Never got to see any of his fabled tenacity either.

It was 'El Poodle' for me...
    Didn't he live in Viva Brazil?

The jokes before his arrival were more memorable than his performances

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The jokes before his arrival were more memorable than his performances
    Chile....Takeaways...Cardiff

No cult hero in my eyes he is a long way down the pecking order in fact near the bottom , came for the dollar, did okay moved for the dollar .

At times he didn't look that fit.

RIP true cult hero Peter Whittingham

Saw him play in Brazil for Chile at the 2014 World Cup at a couple of games. He was very impressive and I was very pleased when he came to Cardiff. Somehow, we never really played to his strengths.

Bit of a hero for me, but perhaps only a minor one.

I went off him when he gave away that stupid free kick at Aston Villa, which they scored from.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I went off him when he gave away that stupid free kick at Aston Villa, which they scored from.
    Wasn't it Bacuna who scored it?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Wasn't it Bacuna who scored it?
    yup

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    No cult hero in my eyes he is a long way down the pecking order in fact near the bottom , came for the dollar, did okay moved for the dollar .

At times he didn't look that fit.

RIP true cult hero Peter Whittingham
    It always seems to me that the phrase “cult hero” applies interesting footnotes in the history of the City like the f*cking useless Robin Friday. To apply it to Whitts is a bit of an insult as he is a legend, a word sometimes applied to some undeserving causes, but in his case he is up there with the the City’s greatest.

RIP true legend Peter Whittingham

He was hugley underrated during his time here. However, you don't become a cult hero spending one season at a club that got relegated going out with a wimper.