+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What vegetables can be grown easily in partial shade?

What vegetables can be grown easily in partial shade?

There is a 3 metre strip between the fence at the bottom of my garden and the very high fence of the college behind my property. The strip concerned, 15 metres long, belongs to the college but they can't access it and was overrun with brambles that were encroaching on my property. I cleared all the brambles for my own benefit some time ago and put tarpaulin down to stop the growth of weeds and brambles again - but during this unusual time I'm thinking of lifting the tarpaulin sheets and growing some vegetables in that space if they can survive in semi-shade (due to the trees on my property overarching above). Any suggestions as to what vegetables may be viable?

Re: What vegetables can be grown easily in partial shade?

More details needed, mush.
    Type of soil?
    In a rain shadow?
    Any weed killer put down?
    etc etc etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    More details needed, mush.
    Type of soil?
    In a rain shadow?
    Any weed killer put down?
    etc etc etc etc etc
    I'm not an expert on soil but it's not clay, not stony and pretty fertile if my own garden is to go on (where I have just flowers and shrubs).
    The earth is dark and akin to compost in its composition.
    Although partially shaded by the trees above it I think that it gets its fair share of rain. No weed killer has been applied to the soil for the eleven years I have been here and probably never has. What more info do you require, dear heart?

As you know, I am more into Robin Trower than Percy Thrower

The soil type is really important, mush
    In the absence of an acid tester kit, please survey at least 100 surrounding gardens and report back on plants which are flourishing.
    For example, camellias, rhodies and acers like acid soil.
    We just can't work blind with our hands tied behind our back and blunt secateurs.
    We are qualified professionals here (ie NOT Gove)

PS Please don't give up when minor obstacles arise.
    This is not what made Britain GREAT

magic mushrooms

Taunton, I've passed on all your relevant info to my wife, who is an avid gardener. Based on this, she has suggested french beans, peas, all members of the brassica family, beetroot and carrots. Hope this helps. Good luck 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There is a 3 metre strip between the fence at the bottom of my garden and the very high fence of the college behind my property. The strip concerned, 15 metres long, belongs to the college but they can't access it and was overrun with brambles that were encroaching on my property. I cleared all the brambles for my own benefit some time ago and put tarpaulin down to stop the growth of weeds and brambles again - but during this unusual time I'm thinking of lifting the tarpaulin sheets and growing some vegetables in that space if they can survive in semi-shade (due to the trees on my property overarching above). Any suggestions as to what vegetables may be viable?
    Loads, beetroot, cauliflower, broccoli,Sprouts, carrots, radish. As for fruit, Raspberries will grow almost anywhere, Rhubarb, Cherries, Pears. The most important thing with most of these is warmth and not to much exposure to heavy wind. My advice to you is to condition the soil, get out most of the stones etc and just give things a try, you'll be amazed and in my opinion it's the best way to learn as there's so much information out there. Go for it!

from my limited experience, i do have a allotment

most will be fine, grow things you are likely to eat though

Does the UK have some law that if you tend to the land for X amount of years, the land then becomes yours ? ? ? might be worth doing in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

Does the UK have some law that if you tend to the land for X amount of years, the land then becomes yours ? ? ? might be worth doing in the long run
    Indeed. I've thought about it for some time myself. Now that I have a bit more time on my hands I'll look into it.

Thanks for all your replies even though being questioned by Cyclops is akin to being to being tortured by the Spanish Inquisition

However, for his benefit, all the flowers and shrubs that I have ever planted in the garden have grown well OK.

I'll see if I can source seeds and the like to start me off....

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

Isn't it 5 years?

Thanks for all your replies even though being questioned by Cyclops is akin to being to being tortured by the Spanish Inquisition

However, for his benefit, all the flowers and shrubs that I have ever planted in the garden have grown well OK.

You can buy all of the things mentioned already sprouting in Garden centres, no need for seeds unless you want to go that way. Onions are great to grow and carrots, spring onions etc all really easy and very enjoyable to watch and eat.

Most supermarkets sell seed packets, or look at the " plug " types, though they might not be sending stuff out at the mo, i wanted to order some custom made blinds, but gave up as no-one is sending them out at the mo, understandable i know

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You can buy all of the things mentioned already sprouting in Garden centres, no need for seeds unless you want to go that way. Onions are great to grow and carrots, spring onions etc all really easy and very enjoyable to watch and eat.
    Garden centres are closed, aren't they? Hence my thoughts about seeds that are available in the supermarkets.

I think the last garden centres closed down this morning, after a few resisted the latest instruction to shut (like the Dobbies chain).

However a few - I think mainly local independents - will take telephone orders for plants, compost, pots etc and deliver.

Buy yer seeds off of ebay.
    But get cracking - you're fighting time now!
    Who is Robin Trowel?

Garden centres are closed, aren't they? Hence my thoughts about seeds that are available in the supermarkets.
    Correct! I was in 'Normal Time' Mode for a second. I've grown carrots from seed and onions, Springers etc, Radishes. That was in quite poor soil.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I think the last garden centres closed down this morning, after a few resisted the latest instruction to shut (like the Dobbies chain).

However a few - I think mainly local independents - will take telephone orders for plants, compost, pots etc and deliver.
    Yup, I was in a haze talking about gardening and forgot about the dreaded for a minute or two (It was lovely )

You find watching carrots and spring onions very enjoyable? The hours must just fly by in your house!

Having an allotment , growing, eating and yes watching what you grow is a pleasure indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    You find watching carrots and spring onions very enjoyable? The hours must just fly by in your house!
    I do, when Spring kicks in and the days get longer and the soil warms up, things grow really quickly, it's an absolute pleasure to see and nurture. It's a gift Cyril May i add that i am a little different.....

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Having an allotment , growing, eating and yes watching what you grow is a pleasure indeed.
    i cannot find the time, i always struggle keeping on top of it all at mine, just before this happened a mate asked me did i know anyone who had a allotment and would be willing to share the plot, that was me, we made a few plans and then lockdown happened