+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These testing kits that Michael Gove says are unavailable

These testing kits that Michael Gove says are unavailable

Re: These testing kits that Michael Gove says are unavailable

Probably beurocracy and red tape holding it all up like most things these days.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Probably beurocracy and red tape holding it all up like most things these days.
    He said it was down to a lack of certain chemicals. This has been proven nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    He said it was down to a lack of certain chemicals. This has been proven nonsense.
    Except it hasn't.

It's down to one chemical made in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Except it hasn't.

Source?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    What chemical is it and where is it readily available? Perhaps we should tell the government

Except it hasn't.

At a guess, Bayer. But, Boris has taken back control, we arent in the EU so all will be well.
    PS chemical industry say there is enough reagent. We just don't have the infrastructure (political or administrative) to make it all happen effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    At a guess, Bayer. But, Boris has taken back control, we arent in the EU so all will be well.
    PS chemical industry say there is enough reagent. We just don't have the infrastructure (political or administrative) to make it all happen effectively.
    PPS...all the daily TV briefings about the NHS/CV apply to England only. What NHS? Forget the N

International

OK. Wwe will have to wait and see.

Testing kits were readily available for Charlie big ears and his family but not available for people on the front line like doctors and nurses.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Source?
    Read it last night, either Guardian live blog or direct on twitter but it was a doctor rebutting Peston et als claims.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Testing kits were readily available for Charlie big ears and his family but not available for people on the front line like doctors and nurses.
    Which testing kits are you referring to?

Deputy CMO made Peston look an utter idiot to the extent Peston whined the guy had been vicious to him.

Tests indicating someone has previously *had* the virus is utterly different to those indicating someone *currently has* the virus.

Earlier this week, Health Minister Vaughan Gething said details about how testing capacity in Wales will increase further are set to be released on April 2.

He confirmed that 1,000 frontline NHS workers had been tested for the virus so far.

2000 in england
    The Royal College of Physicians, the Royal College of Nursing and the British Medical Association all say testing of frontline staff is desperately needed.

Across Wales, the Aneurin Bevan health board continues to have the highest number of recorded cases with 681.

Cardiff and the Vale has the second highest number with 640 cases.

Health officials have warned the number of cases of the virus in Wales' is likely to be much higher than current totals show.

Which testing kits are you referring to?

Deputy CMO made Peston look an utter idiot to the extent Peston whined the guy had been vicious to him.

Tests indicating someone has previously *had* the virus is utterly different to those indicating someone *currently has* the virus.
    None of which is anything to do with the point you were answering. I saw it reported that out of half a million staff who could be labelled "front line" in the NHS, only two thousand had been tested for the virus, not whether they had it previously - that's still some way away yet I understand, despite other countries, seemingly, having had access to it for weeks. The very fact Johnson had to clarify earlier comments made by the minister representing the Government in last night's briefing rather tells a story of their defensiveness on something which is a bit of a national embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    None of which is anything to do with the point you were answering. I saw it reported that out of half a million staff who could be labelled "front line" in the NHS, only two thousand had been tested for the virus, not whether they had it previously - that's still some way away yet I understand, despite other countries, seemingly, having had access to it for weeks. The very fact Johnson had to clarify earlier comments made by the minister representing the Government in last night's briefing rather tells a story of their defensiveness on something which is a bit of a national embarrassment.
    Peston was intimating that tests showing if someone previously had the virus could be used to check if someone currently had it, so yeah was directly to do with the point.

Is it as much a national embarassment as Germany running out of testing kits now because they previously tested anyone who requested a test, even if having no symptoms?

Peston was intimating that tests showing if someone previously had the virus could be used to check if someone currently had it, so yeah was directly to do with the point.

Is it as much a national embarassment as Germany running out of testing kits now because they previously tested anyone who requested a test, even if having no symptoms?
    No it's more - the relative figures of us and Germany tell you it is. To be honest you sound like someone who is still seeing things in party political terms when that's the last thing we should be thinking of now.

Whereas you aren't?

Do you think it's a clever strategy to test anybody who asks for one, especially if with none of the symptoms? The answer is no - because that then gives inevitable negatives giving misleading information. That's why the German figures are now around 4-6 days behind us...

Whereas you aren't?

Do you think it's a clever strategy to test anybody who asks for one, especially if with none of the symptoms? The answer is no - because that then gives inevitable negatives giving misleading information. That's why the German figures are now around 4-6 days behind us...
    I'm perfectly fine with testing people and finding out they don't have it. How is it misleading?

Whereas you aren't?

No, not on this subject - I know I would be just as critical if the figures were the same under a Labour government. Are you seriously trying to argue that the current position regarding testing is part of some sort of master plan? As for what the Deputy Medical Officer says, as someone once said in court, well he would say that wouldn't he.

Based on this tweet it would seem that the chemicals are available but the logjam is getting the cocktail correct so that they work correctly and repetitively with the relevant testing kits that are being manufactured/procured.

https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/stat...87171776446464

This would sort of gel with the rather anodyne statement pt out by BIVDA, the industry body for companies manufacturing these kits.

https://www.bivda.org.uk/News-Events...ting-Situation

There is also a helpful blog explaining the difference between the two types of tests being ramped up.

https://www.bivda.org.uk/News-Events...VID-19-Testing

Not sure it explains why Gove blamed it on chemical shortages or where the assertion it is down to a German chemical though I am afraid.

Whereas you aren't?

Testing people to see if they have had it is a game changer.I and quite a few I know think they've had it and I currently have to isolate. Theres loads of people that would like to help but they can't.I will gladly buy an anti-body test if one becomes available.

To be political at this point though the Conservatives have historical form when underestimating an impending crisis.Yet again they've been caught with their pants down and you know something badly amiss when the Tory propaganda rag that is the Daily Mail are on the offensive over this.

Its like Groundhog Day

Government daily update: We must ramp up testing!!!

Q1. Why arent we testing more people, especially those on the frontline?

A. Some excuse why testing isnt available then contradict themselves by telling everyone testing is key to squashing this virus.

Q2 - Same as question 1

Q3 - Same as questions 1 and 2

Q4 - Same as...oh you get the drift.

Finish daily update with the slogan. "Stay at Home. Save Lives. Help the NHS"

Aaaaand repeat tomorrow

Its almost spitting image parody.

If they REALLY want to help the NHS then instead of some half arsed slogan a 1st year marketing graduate could come up with - Get them ****ing tested!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'm perfectly fine with testing people and finding out they don't have it. How is it misleading?
    It's misleading because a test of someone with no symptoms, who wants a test due to panicing, will almost certainly say they haven't got it... it's also misleading because Germany tested on request, not on those suspected of having it. As a result, they've blown a lot of test kits for little benefit.

That's why Germany have now changed their testing approach - and Germany's rise in deaths day on day follows the pattern of other nations.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Its like Groundhog Day

Government daily update: We must ramp up testing!!!

Q1. Why arent we testing more people, especially those on the frontline?

A. Some excuse why testing isnt available then contradict themselves by telling everyone testing is key to squashing this virus.

Q2 - Same as question 1

Q3 - Same as questions 1 and 2

Q4 - Same as...oh you get the drift.

Finish daily update with the slogan. "Stay at Home. Save Lives. Help the NHS"

Aaaaand repeat tomorrow

Its almost spitting image parody.

If they REALLY want to help the NHS then instead of some half arsed slogan a 1st year marketing graduate could come up with - Get them ****ing tested!!!!
    100% spot on

To my understanding, you're confusing two stories but ultimately have seen something I hadn't so thank you anyway.

Shortage of chemical:

So government source says - which is true - that there is a global shortage of the reagent. As it happens
    @CMO_England said this a couple of weeks ago, as has head of CDC in US. But that still doesn't explain why Chemicals Industry Assoc thinks its members, could help find a solution if asked by the government. And it also doesn't explain - as I pointed out in a PM press conference earlier in the month - why the government didn't forward plan by buying stocks of ingredients for the testing kits weeks ago, before demand from rich countries soared.

Preston: https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1245068919586590720

Testing two different things:

I am pleased that so many of you are deriving pleasure from the way that Jonathan Van Tam slapped down my question about whether a Chinese test for antibodies - which the government has spent millions of pounds buying - could detect live #Covid19 virus, as its makers claim Just to be clear, I do understand the difference between an antibody and an antigen test. What I wanted to gauge was whether this rapid antibody test could help solve the problem of insufficient PCR (antigen) testing capacity. This was not an unreasonable line of inquiry,

Preston: https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1245637309023715328

I would highlight that some basic things are true:

i) This is not the first time where different fields have been discussed by government only for senior members of those fields to announce their surprise as had not been contacted and don't fully understand what is being said
    ii) The story is moving so fast that difficult to keep up and media would be wise to have running timeline of what was said and when
    iii) There was pre-warning (back when we were trying to work out if Big Ben could bong for Brexit) and now we're on the backfoot trying to catch up when this didn't need to be the case
    iv) Staffing levels have been reduced due to lack of testing, we have missed out unnecessarily on source of equipment by not joining up with EU, there has been a lack of clarity in information given by government.
    v) People are getting angrier and we haven't hit the peak yet.