+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Club pay cuts and furlough.

Re: Club pay cuts and furlough.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    There is a slight difference in ensuring that the economic system doesn't collapse and football!
    An economic system for the benefit of who exactly? Anyway, we still saved a shit load of Billionaire arses who some of should have ended up in prison for gambling and trading way past the point of safety. They got off scott free.

If i was on 20k a week I'd feel pretty bad letting someone on less than 5% of my salary having to be furloughed while I took full pay.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We're a nation of bootlickers, we can't challenge the tax dodging, exploitative elite but we're more than happy to turn on footballer's who are far closer to us than the billionaire's many protect

Born to serve and spineless.
    Very true also.

I just don't think it's a black and white situation. A small pay cut for players, board etc could save plenty of others having to go through this.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    If i was on 20k a week I'd feel pretty bad letting someone on less than 5% of my salary having to be furloughed while I took full pay.
    Is the correct answer.

In mid March we agreed to a temporary 20% pay cut for April, May June. March paid at full pay.

The the government announce the furlough scheme the next day and earlier this week 50% of the staff have been put on furlough from April 1st for April and May.

Our owner initially suggested the 50% who remain in work still take pay cut to 80% and furloughed staff get 80% of the 80% (so 64%) but was told not possible. Furloughed staff are to be on 80%. Government is paying anyway.

He then wanted the remaining 50% who were carrying on working to still take a 20% cut - which I had agreed to back in mid March anyway, so any extra was a bonus - but the other directors have thankfully talked him into putting the workers back up to 100% so we will at least get slightly more than the furloughed staff for working 40 hours a week vs Zero hours.

Weve got plenty of cash in the bank to pay the wages. We could have paid them without the help of the taxpayer in my opinion, but I think most business are taking advantage of the system for cash flow purposes, so cant blame them too much for that as we have lost more than 50% of our business for the next 3 months at least.

Its incredible. There seems to be this idea that footballers don't deserve their money, but the way billionaires get their money (usually through exploitation) can't be questioned
    I think youll find Bransons morals (He has none) have been called into question just as much, probably worse than the footballers.

That would be your personal choice, and that's fine. I don't think that footballers should be emotionally blackmailed by the media and reactionary to do anything that they don't want to.

Very true also.

I just don't think it's a black and white situation. A small pay cut for players, board etc could save plenty of others having to go through this.
    What would be the criteria?

Tax payer picks up 4m wage bill for 3 months for Spurs furloughed staff and yet they will spend over 100m on transfer, fees and wages for 1 player.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That would be your personal choice, and that's fine. I don't think that footballers should be emotionally blackmailed by the media and reactionary to do anything that they don't want to.
    They dont have to do it, but it makes them look even more morally corrupt and out of touch with their supporters and reality if they dont.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Tax payer picks up 4m wage bill for 3 months for Spurs furloughed staff and yet they will spend over 100m on transfer, fees and wages for 1 player.
    Exactly, the government had to make a decision last week and out something in place, but with a bit more time they would hopefully have put some sort of qualifying criteria in place. Problem is, the people that pay the rice are th people at the bottom whatever way you look at it. If there was no furlough scheme in place or one where everyone had to take a cut before they were eligible clubs would jut have sacked staff altogether.

They dont have to do it, but it makes them look even more morally corrupt and out of touch with their supporters and reality if they dont.
    Morally Corrupt? says who?

footballers step up help your own clubs workers, I'm sure help with shopping costs etc, would be lovely gesture .

I think someone on £20k a wee who isn't willing to take a small paycut to keep a few people in their job must not have great morals tbh.

Exactly, the government had to make a decision last week and out something in place, but with a bit more time they would hopefully have put some sort of qualifying criteria in place. Problem is, the people that pay the rice are th people at the bottom whatever way you look at it. If there was no furlough scheme in place or one where everyone had to take a cut before they were eligible clubs would jut have sacked staff altogether.
    Think the moral standing of football is under the microscope.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    footballers step up help your own clubs workers, I'm sure help with shopping costs etc, would be lovely gesture .
    I think that the biggest issue here is that Employees at the lower end of the pay scale and conditions aren't protected in law against their bosses doing something like this to them. Maybe we as football supporters should show some solidarity with other workers instead of having a go at footballers who i'm sure will help those in need at the club.

The fact that the government, and therefore us as tax payers, is picking up the bill for the staff furloughed!

Why should tax payers pay for all the backroom staff to sit at home during the crisis while the players still pockets full wages? Football is morally corrupt.
    So, money that could be used to beef up the NHS is instead being used so that Vincent Tan saves a bit more cash.

Vincent Tan, net worth $1.6billion
    Vincent Tan, 30 days ago sold £55m worth of shares in LAFC.

Let's hear it for Vincent "The Leech" Tan. But, let's not say all this because,,,, well,,,, we need a new striker.

Tan isn't the only one. People will remember how much of football responded to a national crisis. If only more football people had the moral fibre of Ramsey.

Blame the owners, not the players.
    Exactly. I think it is a travesty that Vincent Tan has taken such a short amount of time to leech from the UK Government at a time where 2,900 people have died, our Health Service is stretched, and people are losing jobs. He just made millions from LAFC. He can afford to pay those wages, most of those employees are on low wages. Despicable, reprehensible behaviour. But, sadly, not unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Exactly. I think it is a travesty that Vincent Tan has taken such a short amount of time to leech from the UK Government at a time where 2,900 people have died, our Health Service is stretched, and people are losing jobs. He just made millions from LAFC. He can afford to pay those wages, most of those employees are on low wages. Despicable, reprehensible behaviour. But, sadly, not unpredictable.
    Hi jirga

Interesting that Juventus players (amongst others) have agreed to forgo wages for 4 months, saving around 90m Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Interesting that Juventus players (amongst others) have agreed to forgo wages for 4 months, saving around 90m Euros.
    I think players here will have to, terrible PR if they don’t while so many people are having wages cut.