+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Club pay cuts and furlough.

Club pay cuts and furlough.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...0-per-18026707

Harris and Choo 'volunteer' to take 20% pay cut. This will also apply to other high earners who keep working - but not to lower earners who need to stay at work (lack of detail here).

Most non-playing staff to go on the furlough scheme (80% of wages).

No decisions yet on playing staff whilst PFA and governing bodies are arguing.

Re: Club pay cuts and furlough.

The PFA, the players' union, have reportedly told their members nationwide not to accept any wage cuts

So they don’t give a f*** for non playing staff at Clubs.

I think the PFA and the players should take a pay cut if only to show everyone concerned with football and the general public that they are willing to try and help. But i can't help feeling that the PFA and their greedy over paid members will do everything they can to avoid taking a pay cut. If that's the case then i think that the government should get involved and cap players wages and also stop clubs from having to pay agents fees for players.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    The PFA, the players' union, have reportedly told their members nationwide not to accept any wage cuts

Completely separate issue. We don't know the terms and conditions of these cuts, how it will affect players contracts, how long it will go on for. There are players at Championship level and below who aren't earning what many people think that they are, where is the line drawn? Seems to me that it's footballers getting it in the neck again when there are plenty of people earning ridiculous amounts of money. Chief Executives and the like. Until we know the conditions of a pay cut then it's not for us to judge in my opinion.

Why should any contracted person be obligated to take a pay cut for circumstances outside their control?

My son in law is an ex pro, over 300 league appearances for the likes of Bradford City, Darlington. Never earned a great deal, ended his career in Malta and now delivers water around the island, my daughter is over here with my granddaughter, they’ve no idea when they’ll see each other. Super rich pros & ex pros are very much in the minority, please don’t generalise.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    I think the PFA and the players should take a pay cut if only to show everyone concerned with football and the general public that they are willing to try and help. But i can't help feeling that the PFA and their greedy over paid members will do everything they can to avoid taking a pay cut. If that's the case then i think that the government should get involved and cap players wages and also stop clubs from having to pay agents fees for players.
    What business is it of the government's whether clubs pay agent fees? What business is it of the government's to cap wages for that matter.

Do you really think that's the kind of road you want to go down?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    My son in law is an ex pro, over 300 league appearances for the likes of Bradford City, Darlington. Never earned a great deal, ended his career in Malta and now delivers water around the island, my daughter is over here with my granddaughter, they’ve no idea when they’ll see each other. Super rich pros & ex pros are very much in the minority, please don’t generalise.
    A friend's sister was married to the Peterborough (perhaps?) keeper in the mid 00s. I was told he was earning something in the region of 60k a year.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    What business is it of the government's whether clubs pay agent fees? What business is it of the government's to cap wages for that matter.

Do you really think that's the kind of road you want to go down?
    The fact that the government, and therefore us as tax payers, is picking up the bill for the staff furloughed!

Why should tax payers pay for all the backroom staff to sit at home during the crisis while the players still pockets full wages? Football is morally corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    The fact that the government, and therefore us as tax payers, is picking up the bill for the staff furloughed!

Why should tax payers pay for all the backroom staff to sit at home during the crisis while the players still pockets full wages? Football is morally corrupt.
    We did it for the banks.

Almost like they're a players union representing the interests of their members

Funny that.

Blame the owners, not the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Completely separate issue. We don't know the terms and conditions of these cuts, how it will affect players contracts, how long it will go on for. There are players at Championship level and below who aren't earning what many people think that they are, where is the line drawn? Seems to me that it's footballers getting it in the neck again when there are plenty of people earning ridiculous amounts of money. Chief Executives and the like. Until we know the conditions of a pay cut then it's not for us to judge in my opinion.
    Its incredible how easily blame has been deflected away from billionaires onto the players, many of which won't be earning what fans think they do

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Why should any contracted person be obligated to take a pay cut for circumstances outside their control?
    Most non-playing staff to go on the furlough scheme (80% of wages).
    Unless the club is topping up the 20%, not an obligation but a real choice for each and every employer, then aren't lots of staff taking a cut already?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Its incredible how easily blame has been deflected away from billionaires onto the players, many of which won't be earning what fans think they do
    Saw a tweet the other day that was akin to:

"Those getting annoyed with people hoarding toilet paper are going to lose their mind when remember billionaires exist."

Absolutely no one needs to be a billionaire and here we are with at least one (Richard Branson) asking for government support despite doing everything legal to avoid supporting UK previously.

Yup, Whether we like it or not, footballers are workers who have the right to union representation and the right to protect their pay and conditions. There are football club owners who have immense wealth, nobody seems to be talking about them, apart from their employees bailing them out-Bless.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

"Those getting annoyed with people hoarding toilet paper are going to lose their mind when remember billionaires exist."

Absolutely no one needs to be a billionaire and here we are with at least one (Richard Branson) asking for government support despite doing everything legal to avoid supporting UK previously.
    Yup, but his like are celebrated by the working classes and media, quirky, it's what makes this country great. Branson has continually slaughtered the government over issues of regulation and health and safety, as have plenty of his pals. Now he wants the to bail him out the slimy ****.

We did it for the banks.
    There is a slight difference in ensuring that the economic system doesn't collapse and football!

That's not what my post was about. I think it would be a good thing for players to earn a little less to allow the normies to get paid.

The government stopping clubs paying agent fees is nothing to do with the virus. That's what I was questioning. As for the government capping wages, that's a whole Pandora's box. Would you want that to apply to the whole private sector?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

Its incredible. There seems to be this idea that footballers don't deserve their money, but the way billionaires get their money (usually through exploitation) can't be questioned

Yup, Whether we like it or not, footballers are workers who have the right to union representation and the right to protect their pay and conditions. There are football club owners who have immense wealth, nobody seems to be talking about them, apart from their employees bailing them out-Bless.
    We're a nation of bootlickers, we can't challenge the tax dodging, exploitative elite but we're more than happy to turn on footballer's who are far closer to us than the billionaire's many protect

Born to serve and spineless.

When has a professional footballer ever considered the club/fans well being?

I hope their wages are slashed come negotiating new contracts.

I notice the other day Aaron Ramsey donating £10K to the NHS. If more footballers made a similar contibution it might soften the blow. (I do appreciate it’s probably half a days wage). As a side note, I haven’t seen any supermarket directors deferring their bonuses or taking any pay cuts to ‘help’ society. They are one of a few businesses benefiting from this horrific situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    When has a professional footballer ever considered the club/fans well being?

I hope their wages are slashed come negotiating new contracts.
    Plenty of times, just do some research, although that's not really the point.

We're a nation of bootlickers, we can't challenge the tax dodging, exploitative elite but we're more than happy to turn on footballer's who are far closer to us than the billionaire's many protect

Born to serve and spineless.