+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrap the 2019/20 season?

Scrap the 2019/20 season?

Possibly many tens of thousands (at least) of people will lose their lives before the end of the season.

Wouldn't it be more respectful etc to just scrap the season altogether? No matter who it's unfair on.

The priority is getting through this crisis. We must be looking at July/August before all of this is over.

I'm in no frame of mind for football. Most of us will probably know several people who will fall victim to covid-19.

Rip up the season and start again in August/September.

Re: Scrap the 2019/20 season?

Cancel the season.

Mostly for the whining of Liverpool and Leeds fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Possibly many tens of thousands (at least) of people will lose their lives before the end of the season.

Wouldn't it be more respectful etc to just scrap the season altogether? No matter who it's unfair on.

The priority is getting through this crisis. We must be looking at July/August before all of this is over.

I'm in no frame of mind for football. Most of us will probably know several people who will fall victim to covid-19.

If the season can be completed when all is safe and the risk is minimal then it should be in my opinion. The greatest respect a society can offer the dead is to get back to normal as quickly and humanely as possible, whether people are in the right frame of mind or not.

Yes, no Liverpool PL title, no Leeds promotion. And the bonus of offloading Connolly, Ward, Richards etc sooner rather than later.

Depending how long this goes on why don't they just cancel next season, and continue this season. Maybe a shortened season next time, as the Euros are next summer too.

The whole cancelling a season is a bit mad to me, it's like making a car getting 80% through but going past your deadline and chucking it away to make a new one from.scratch.

Season should be completed whatever happens and then just sort something after that whether it be a reduced season. Only play each other once for example.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    The whole cancelling a season is a bit mad to me, it's like making a car getting 80% through but going past your deadline and chucking it away to make a new one from.scratch.

Season should be completed whatever happens and then just sort something after that whether it be a reduced season. Only play each other once for example.
    Surely a season that's almost finished should take priority over one that hasn't started yet?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Surely a season that's almost finished should take priority over one that hasn't started yet?
    Agreed. If we followed the OP's sentiments then shouldn't we cancel everything? Shops, Museums, The Arts, afterall, there will probably be people who don't feel like doing any of those things when this is over.

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Cancel the season.

Mostly for the whining of Liverpool and Leeds fans.
    ^^^^

this mainly the whining liverpool fans, we would never hear the last of it

Wouldn't it be more respectful etc to just scrap the season altogether?
    Respectful? It would be utterly futile.

We may reach the stage whereby the football authorities have no realistic option other than cancelling the rest of the 2019/20 season, but the notion that it should be scrapped out of respect for those who have died with the virus is idiotic. Doing so would achieve absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    And the bonus of offloading Connolly, Ward, Richards etc sooner rather than later.
    Their contracts are to a specific date not to "end of season".

They'll be released if season ended or not.

Ahem .

Great post.

What a great memory that would serve , bit like retiring a shirt number , so let's retire this season in respect of the fallen , many of whom are fans .

RIP : 2019/20

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Ahem .

Great post.

What a great memory that would serve , bit like retiring a shirt number , so let's retire this season in respect of the fallen , many of whom are fans .

Jesus wept!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Jesus wept!
    LisvaneBlue in 3..2...1

I was all for continuing this season as soon as possible. I have sympathy for Liverpool, they definitely deserve a title.

But if this goes on long enough and we are almost in August wouldn’t it be easier just to start the new season?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    But if this goes on long enough and we are almost in August wouldn’t it be easier just to start the new season?
    That’s an easy thing to say for a fan of a club that has achieved very little so far this season and is likely to achieve very little during the rest of the season if it ever does get finished.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    That’s an easy thing to say for a fan of a club that has achieved very little so far this season and is likely to achieve very little during the rest of the season if it ever does get finished.
    Yeah I understand that, that's what I said in the first part of my post. I want them to win it, they deserve it.

But how long do you let it go on? It's one of those things that needs to be seen from a neutral point of view I think.

It doesn't bother me either way, I'm just saying what could make sense. It would be a shame to lose the records that have been set this season too.

Respectful? It would be utterly futile.

We may reach the stage whereby the football authorities have no realistic option other than cancelling the rest of the 2019/20 season, but the notion that it should be scrapped out of respect for those who have died with the virus is idiotic. Doing so would achieve absolutely nothing.
    I'm not saying scrap the season out of respect only.
    With a potential break of 4-5 months, it's lost any meaning with another season quickly following on.

I've lost interest in the season, as I'd say a lot of fans have too.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post

Great, €150 for a season ticket? It won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Their contracts are to a specific date not to "end of season".

They'll be released if season ended or not.
    30th of June isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Yeah I understand that, that's what I said in the first part of my post. I want them to win it, they deserve it.
    People tend to concentrate on Liverpool and to a lesser degree Leeds when they're considering the idea of declaring the 2019/20 season null and void, but there are obviously so many other clubs who that would affect negatively. For instance, look at Barrow - voted out of the Football League in 1972 but on the verge of an unlikely return (they were a 33/1 shot at the start of the season). Meanwhile, Harrogate have never been a Football League club and may never get a better opportunity to become one.

After all of the problems Coventry fans have endured in recent years, their side is on the verge of promotion back to the Championship, while Fleetwood could be set to play in the second tier for the first time in their history.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that an awful lot of people at an awful lot of clubs have invested a huge amount of effort and money in the 2019/20 season, and simply scrapping it at this stage could have a profoundly detrimental effect on their futures. As I've said, it's easy for fans of clubs like Cardiff who have basically made a mess of this season to say 'Oh, it can't be helped, just scrap it.'

Personally, I think every effort should be made to finish the season, and if that means having a dramatically shorter season in 2020/21 then so be it. At least everyone would know where they were whenever it started.

I'm not saying scrap the season out of respect only.
    With a potential break of 4-5 months, it's lost any meaning with another season quickly following on.

I've lost interest in the season, as I'd say a lot of fans have too.
    It's lost any meaning or interest for you - a fan of a club that has made a complete mess of this season. I dare say the same is not true for hundreds of thousands of fans of other clubs around the country.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Ahem .

Great post.

Man Utd are still in fifth... Are you sure that you can go another season without Champions League football?

The only reason I can see as to why people want the season scrapped is either a lack of patience or imagination (or both). A season ending in November and beginning again in January - it's not normal!

The season must be completed in my opinion. Even if next season is shortened as a result. Transfer window extended accordingly. After this season is complete then have a break and start next season. All play each other once then at the half way point you split the division in 2 and play the team in your half again. So the football league play 34 instead of 46 games next season. At least everyone knows where they stand before a ball is kicked.

People tend to concentrate on Liverpool and to a lesser degree Leeds when they're considering the idea of declaring the 2019/20 season null and void, but there are obviously so many other clubs who that would affect negatively. For instance, look at Barrow - voted out of the Football League in 1972 but on the verge of an unlikely return (they were a 33/1 shot at the start of the season). Meanwhile, Harrogate have never been a Football League club and may never get a better opportunity to become one.

After all of the problems Coventry fans have endured in recent years, their side is on the verge of promotion back to the Championship, while Fleetwood could be set to play in the second tier for the first time in their history.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that an awful lot of people at an awful lot of clubs have invested a huge amount of effort and money in the 2019/20 season, and simply scrapping it at this stage could have a profoundly detrimental effect on their futures. As I've said, it's easy for fans of clubs like Cardiff who have basically made a mess of this season to say 'Oh, it can't be helped, just scrap it.'

Personally, I think every effort should be made to finish the season, and if that means having a dramatically shorter season in 2020/21 then so be it. At least everyone would know where they were whenever it started.
    I do agree up to a point,if there is a shorter season 2020/21 will not all the managers complain about how many games are played aweek ?