+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grocery delivery

Re: Grocery delivery

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    How could they track who was delivering what? Mrs Morris calls up "I haven't had my delivery" - Mr Sainsbury is like "Was that Matt, or John, or Fred?" Mrs Smith calls up "I didn't get my bottle of whiskey". I appreciate people trying to help, but it's really a case of too many cooks.
    And the liabilities that the supermarkets would have to underwrite. It's a nice idea but open to some serious **** ups which could end up with a food poisoning epidemic

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    And the liabilities that the supermarkets would have to underwrite. It's a nice idea but open to some serious **** ups which could end up with a food poisoning epidemic
    Or a gang of miscreants robbing elderly folk - or asking for extra delivery money. Yep, I think the supermarkets probably have a better idea than us on how this works.

They may just have a better idea on how it works, but its not working, they have said the reason is lack of vans and drivers

so its not working and people who should be self-isolating are having to risk it and go to the supermarkets

maybe its time to think slightly outside the box for a few weeks

maybe have 2 options:

1, try and get a slot with the stores delivery drivers ( which isnt working )

or

2. get a local community driver to deliver it

looking at option 2, isnt it the same setup as the NHS GoodSAM system ( thats the setup the government has put in place to help out in England, I believe Wales have its own thing in place )

just checked on my GoodSAM app and it has a setting for :

Community Response volunteer: This role involves collecting shopping, medication or other essential supplies for someone who is self-isolating, and delivering these supplies to their home.

https://www.goodsamapp.org/NHS

So maybe the idea of local volunteers collecting and delivering shopping isnt that outrageous

A local volunteer is a good idea no one is saying it isn’t.

Supermarkets just chucking their shopping into any old car isn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by beakerboyblue View Post
    But half the idiots think that the refrigerator delivery van are trucks

By the way I am a C+E driver

I knew there was another truck driver on here when Sludge made his post thanking truck drivers, but I couldn't remember your name.
    What do you haul, and are you still in working at this difficult time?
    I'm in the waste business so I'm still classed as essential, but I'm just working a standard 40 hour week instead of the usual 50+ hours I normally do.
    Stay safe mate

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post

I knew there was another truck driver on here when Sludge made his post thanking truck drivers, but I couldn't remember your name.
    What do you haul, and are you still in working at this difficult time?
    I'm in the waste business so I'm still classed as essential, but I'm just working a standard 40 hour week instead of the usual 50+ hours I normally do.
    Stay safe mate
    I work cladding company that makes and supplies roof/wall cladding and all the accessories I am furloughed

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    They may just have a better idea on how it works, but its not working, they have said the reason is lack of vans and drivers

so its not working and people who should be self-isolating are having to risk it and go to the supermarkets

maybe its time to think slightly outside the box for a few weeks

maybe have 2 options:

1, try and get a slot with the stores delivery drivers ( which isnt working )

or

2. get a local community driver to deliver it

looking at option 2, isnt it the same setup as the NHS GoodSAM system ( thats the setup the government has put in place to help out in England, I believe Wales have its own thing in place )

just checked on my GoodSAM app and it has a setting for :

Community Response volunteer: This role involves collecting shopping, medication or other essential supplies for someone who is self-isolating, and delivering these supplies to their home.

https://www.goodsamapp.org/NHS

So maybe the idea of local volunteers collecting and delivering shopping isnt that outrageous
    cracking post and some taxi drivers serve our community, my sisters actually DO THE SHOPPING AS WELL

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

Good to see you agree, at last

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Why are you so determined to be angry about this
    In fairness I was being a bit facetious saying Ocado might know more about delivering shopping than him, I didn’t think he’d blow a fuse though

Not angry, haven’t blown a fuse, just don’t like liars

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Not angry, haven’t blown a fuse, just don’t like liars
    You need to calm down ffs

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    You need to calm down ffs
    I’m lovely and calm, thank you for your concern though

Just spoke with several taxi drivers.
    The ones I spoke to would love to help the community, but their insurance will not cover them to carry goods, unless the owner of the goods is in the car.
    So it’s back to the Shops to get more trucks/vans/whatever and drivers

Do you not think supermarkets would do that if they were allowed/able to?
    Actually some of the supermarkets are doing something similar. The morrisons boxes that I mentioned are delivered by DPD couriers in Unrefrigerated Van's. The food is kept fresh by cool boxes. So really what bluetit is suggesting is that they ramp up this style of delivery and invite applications from drivers. It most definitely is possible. Funny enough, as I type this my cool box of pasta has just been left outside the front door 😂

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Actually some of the supermarkets are doing something similar. The morrisons boxes that I mentioned are delivered by DPD couriers in Unrefrigerated Van's. The food is kept fresh by cool boxes. So really what bluetit is suggesting is that they ramp up this style of delivery and invite applications from drivers. It most definitely is possible. Funny enough, as I type this my cool box of pasta has just been left outside the front door ��
    Sounds a good idea

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beakerboyblue View Post
    But half the idiots think that the refrigerator delivery van are trucks

By the way I am a C+E driver

Do you mean the churches are doing deliveries now ?

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    C+E driver is a HGV Class 1 nothing to with churches

Sounds a good idea
    I'm a bit surprised that so far it's only morrisons and m+s to offer it.

I didn’t support anyone driving to a cafe that was you!

Each supermarket have already given desperate people priority, it’s why healthy people can’t get a slot.
    no they havent

I have to self isolate for 14 days. We have hardly any food in because of the queues and panic buying. Tried online, but no delivery slots anywhere. What a shambles. And, to top it all off, it's only cos my daughter has a cough - no other symptoms.
    It's a nightmare - I stayed up till 12 the other night and kept refreshing - but as soon as the new days slots came up they were full already.

I’d say there is or they’d do it. There is not one slot in the whole country for an online delivery. I expect their logistic experts have thought about chucking a load of frozen food in a taxi already.
    But, people showing up every couple of minutes to pick up one person's shopping is going to cause chaos. The fact goods are delivered in a chilled van is probably as much for the supermarket to avoid a food poisoning law suit as anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Exactly, these businesses would have to take out insurances etc, offer some training etc (i know) there are a few issues at hand before people can rock up at a supermarket in their builders van and go about town dropping off a lamb shank and 80 tea bags.
    How could they track who was delivering what? Mrs Morris calls up "I haven't had my delivery" - Mr Sainsbury is like "Was that Matt, or John, or Fred?" Mrs Smith calls up "I didn't get my bottle of whiskey". I appreciate people trying to help, but it's really a case of too many cooks.

thats exactly whats being said above

We are in different times, lets bend the rules slightly

as long as we used people known in the community, people with DBS checks for example ( as thats all GoodSAM are using, and they are doing exactly this, but sending people around to pick ), these would be volunteers, people wanting to help

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    cracking post and some taxi drivers serve our community, my sisters actually DO THE SHOPPING AS WELL
    Indeed, but if we could keep them out of the store doing the picking, less chance of covid being spread, just pull up, load up and go

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Actually some of the supermarkets are doing something similar. The morrisons boxes that I mentioned are delivered by DPD couriers in Unrefrigerated Van's. The food is kept fresh by cool boxes. So really what bluetit is suggesting is that they ramp up this style of delivery and invite applications from drivers. It most definitely is possible. Funny enough, as I type this my cool box of pasta has just been left outside the front door ��
    more need to get on it ASAP, the boxes are not packed in local stores though, they are done in the distribution centres, which i believe Morrisons use for Home Delivery

Do mean the churches are doing deliveries now ?

Its not supermarket delivery but if you are based in Cardiff and in desperate need GSG convenience store will deliver for free 02920 614600. WR Bishop (family business city fans) are delivering (in most of S.Wales) an essentials box and various fruit/veg boxes
    https://twitter.com/wr_bishop/status...72870147117056

Please only use if you really need it, I am using neither despite being a key worker but my parents will need to.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    no they havent
    If you go on sainsburys or ocado you can only book a new delivery slot if you have been identified as a priority

Two loaves and five fishes for each customer. Along with some Communion wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    It's a nightmare - I stayed up till 12 the other night and kept refreshing - but as soon as the new days slots came up they were full already.
    Yep. Thing is, I was also doing the shopping for my parents. Now, I can't. They are trying online, I've been trying online. I managed to get a slot tomorrow morning (£7 delivery, not sure if that is new from Tesco) and ordered loads of stuff.

I went on this morning to add an item, and half of my previous order was removed because the items are no longer in stock.

My parents are having even worse luck.

At no stage have I seen questions about being vulnerable, or in self isolation, or anything that moves people ahead of others who are just staying at home and not going out shopping at all.

But, Croesy is claiming supermarkets are doing exactly that! He still can't explain how that's working either.

If you go on sainsburys or ocado you can only book a new delivery slot if you have been identified as a priority

Nope - that doesn't work either.

I tried to register for my parents. I put in my dad's e-mail address. He is vulnerable and has an NHS letter to prove it, he is 70 and has underlying health issues.

So, I tried my mam's address. Again she has been identified as vulnerable.

We get this for both.

We’re prioritising vulnerable customers for registration
    We’re really sorry, but we haven’t been able to identify you as one of our elderly or most vulnerable customers based on the information we have. At the moment we’re prioritising vulnerable customers for registration, and we’re working with the government to identify those who are most in need.

Ocado - site down for maintenance and has been for at least 24 hours.

I think you have to tell the supermarket they are vulnerable surely.