+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YOUR FIRST SINGLE RECORD AND LP

YOUR FIRST SINGLE RECORD AND LP

As we didn't have a record player until 1971, mine was Maggie May by Rod Stewart.

For memory my first LP was a compilation on the Fly record label with such artists as Procol Harum, The Move, Joe Cocker, T Rex and others less well known.

International

Re: YOUR FIRST SINGLE RECORD AND LP

Single She loves me
    LP High Tide and Green Frass

I'm very embarrassed to say that the first single I bought from my own money was Another Day by George Harrison and the first Album was a Moody Blues Greatest Hits Compilation .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm very embarrassed to say that the first single I bought from my own money was Another Day by George Harrison and the first Album was a Moody Blues Greatest Hits Compilation .
    Mum & Dad were late buying a record player and it was only persistent nagging from me that eventually made them cave. After all that I’m also embarrassed to write that my first single was How Deep is Your Love by The BeeGees. My first album however was much more acceptable Buzzcocks... Another Music in a Different Kitchen

Leo Sayer - When I need You

Pestered my mam for it as a 5 year old. My mams taste in music was the Stones, Credence Clearwater Revival and The Yard Birds.

She still brings it up to take the piss out of me on occasion. Can't blame her really

Puppet On A String for the single.

One of those cover pop compilations from Woolies for the ‘album’ - although the proper first album was The Sensational Alex Harvey Band’s first (can’t remember an album name - if there was one).

I'm well pleased that you have the Moody Blues Greatest Hits !! I've got Another Day too but by Paul McCartney. Is that what you meant ? By the way that is a fantastic song.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    After all that I’m also embarrassed to write that my first single was How Deep is Your Love by The BeeGees.
    That's a great song.

First single: The Sweet - Blockbuster, followed very closely by Gary Glitter - Do You Wanna Touch Me? (Oh Yeah).

First album: Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols.

My parents used to buy me singles frequently when I was a young kid. From a very early age I loved the Glam Rock acts such as Gary Glitter, T Rex, the Sweet, Slade, David Bowie, etc. It's interesting in retrospect that they bought me so many records as neither of them were big music fans.

As regards albums, I used to get the fake Top of the Pops compilations bought for me occasionally, but the first actual album I ever went out and bought after having it played to me by a slightly older friend was NMTB, although that was at least a year after it was released.

From memory, I think the first single I ever bought with my own pocket money was ELO's Sweet Talkin' Woman.

First single was Getting Mighty Crowded by Betty Everett. It was an ex-jukebox disc from the Arcade Cafe in Merthyr Tydfil. Had to buy a pack of centre adaptors from Woolies

First album was Child Is Father To The Man by Blood Sweat and Tears. It was part of a batch German import CBS albums which were on sale at the newsagents at Merthyr Tydfil bus station! I might well have bought Super Session (Al Kooper etc) at the same time.

The 7 inch was we wish you a wombling merry Christmas by the wombles my nan and bambs gave me a 50p postal order for my birthday and it was burning a hole in my pocket so my mum took me to Spillers and I bought it!
    Album I think it was 1 step beyond by Madness.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    That's a great song.

First single: The Sweet - Blockbuster, followed very closely by Gary Glitter - Do You Wanna Touch Me? (Oh Yeah).

My parents used to buy me singles frequently when I was a young kid. From a very early age I loved the Glam Rock acts such as Gary Glitter, T Rex, the Sweet, Slade, David Bowie, etc. It's interesting in retrospect that they bought me so many records as neither of them were big music fans.

As regards albums, I used to get the fake Top of the Pops compilations bought for me occasionally, but the first actual album I ever went out and bought after having it played to me by a slightly older friend was NMTB, although that was at least a year after it was released.

From memory, I think the first single I ever bought with my own pocket money was ELO's Sweet Talkin' Woman.
    I realise now that The BeeGees wrote some great stuff, but it was probably another 15 years before I next bought something by them and back then I wouldn’t have ever admitted it was my first purchase😃... I considered myself far too cool for that

I also bought Sweet Talkin Woman... still have it actually in purple vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I'm well pleased that you have the Moody Blues Greatest Hits !! I've got Another Day too but by Paul McCartney. Is that what you meant ? By the way that is a fantastic song.
    Yeah, of course, you're right about Another Day. It was definitely a George Harrison song he released pretty soon after My Sweet Lord I bought - What is Life, that's it, but, actually, I don't think that was too bad really thinking back.

Sorry about the Moody Blues, that album was released in 1974 I think it was and the last time I played it was probably 1975 - I'm afraid they were one of the bands that drove me into the welcoming arms of punk and new wave!

Ride a white swan-t.rex single
    Let it be -the beatles album

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I also bought Sweet Talkin Woman... still have it actually in purple vinyl
    I remember buying Doctor Doctor by UFO on clear vinyl - simply because it was on clear vinyl. I don't think I'd ever even heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    That's a great song.

It's a dreadful song , the bee gees were shocking

Your musical taste is moribund

Yeah, of course, you're right about Another Day. It was definitely a George Harrison song he released pretty soon after My Sweet Lord I bought - What is Life, that's it, but, actually, I don't think that was too bad really thinking back.

Sorry about the Moody Blues, that album was released in 1974 I think it was and the last time I played it was probably 1975 - I'm afraid they were one of the bands that drove me into the welcoming arms of punk and new wave!
    Shame on you Bob that's sacrilegious !!

SINGLE:
    Tommy Roe ... (Sweeet Little) Sheila [1963]
    https://youtu.be/0i-wfec5HGY

ALBUM:
    Simon & Garfunkel ... Bridge over Troubled Water [1970]
    https://youtu.be/Bmb-lXFSIZc

Quickly followed by the first 3 King Crimson albums.

My first album I owned though was a Joan Baez one given as a present.

StT.
    <><

First single I bought was 'Earnie' - Benny Hill (circa '71). It was one of the few songs I could sing from start to finish (even to this day!)
    I also bought 'Ben' - Michael Jackson about a year or so later.
    I had the Top Of The Pops compilation albums bought for me most Christmases.
    'Young Girl' - Garry Puckett & the Union Gap Band.. heard it at the Plaza (North Rd) Saturday matinee for the first time and loved it, didn't buy it as I was just eight at the time and had no pocket money.
    First album I bought was Dexys Midnight Runners 'Searching For The Young Soul Rebels'.

My sister was 5 years older than me so if I liked a song I heard on the radio she would but it for me. When she left home the first single I brought was ride a white Swan by t rex. First album was reggae chartbusters.

My mother used to buy a record a week in the early 60s so our house always had Elvis, Cliff and The Shadows, Burt Weldon, The John Barry Seven, Roy Orbison etc on the go, then The Beatles dominated, the first single I actually went and bought myself was Half As Nice by The Amen Corner and my brother bought me my first LP, Abbey Road.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    My mother used to buy a record a week in the early 60s so our house always had Elvis, Cliff and The Shadows, Burt Weldon, The John Barry Seven, Roy Orbison etc on the go, then The Beatles dominated, the first single I actually went and bought myself was Half As Nice by The Amen Corner and my brother bought me my first LP, Abbey Road.
    Burt Weldon????? Bert Weedon of course

Living in the city-Stevie wonder or Machine gun -The commodores

I never ever bought a single.

First album was Machine Head by Deep Purple.

No messin'

First single was either Loop di love by Shag or Mouldy old Dough Lieutenant Pigeon.
    First album was ELO A New World Record.

America by Razorlight