+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sir Keir wins on first round ( thank god)

Sir Keir wins on first round ( thank god)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52164589

http://camdennewjournal.com/article/in-full-sir-keir-starmers-labour-leadership-victory-speech

Re: Sir Keir wins on first round ( thank god)

Expect there will be an awful lot of noise today from those still talking about previous Labour leader but they should recognise that Labour will struggle to win an election without votes of those who voted Corbyn but would struggle to vote Blair and those who voted Blair but would struggle to vote for Corbyn. Starmer talking about unity suggests he gets the need for a broad church.

Pleased about this, but is that overall voting number usually so low (seems one in three eligible to vote didn't)?

I don't envy him the job at all though.

Don't feel its the time for politics but glad he has won and will leave it at that.

Received less votes than spoilt ballots / "did not vote".

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Received less votes than spoilt ballots / "did not vote".
    Wow didn't see that , what a mess .

Election of the Leader of the Labour Party

Total voters Total votes returned Total spoilt ballots

Members 552,835 401,564 (72.64%) 43

Registered Supporters 13,626 13,006 (95.45%) 0

Affiliated Supporters 217,690 76,161 (34.99%) 93

Total 784,151 490,731 (62.58%) 136

It's worse than a mess.

Red Len, elected based upon 6% of union members votes wanted Becky Wrong-Daily.

EHRC report due out soon.

Starmer has to deal with union leaders who didn't want him, clear up Corbyn's antisemitism mess whilst trying to ignore he was silent despite having a Jewish wife and kids.

It's an utter train wreck for Labour.

Keir is about as exciting as watching paint dry, I hope they have got some kind of AI augmentation lined up for him

The party has been destroyed, and I think that was the plan all along .

The spoilt ballet gang ( all inclusiveness ) members continue to try and divide and conquer from within what a dreadful state of affairs .

I hope Sir Kier shows some balls and faces them down .

I like Keir, and I remember posting on here soon after he entered politics that he would become the Labour leader. He's got my backing and my vote, as long as he doesn't plan any U-turns on Brexit!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The party has been destroyed, and I think that was the plan all along .

The spoilt ballet gang ( all inclusiveness ) members continue to try and divide and conquer from within what a dreadful state of affairs .

I hope Sir Kier shows some balls and faces them down .
    Who amongst 136 people who wrecked Swan Lake out of the 490,371 who cast a vote should he face down first do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Who amongst 136 people who wrecked Swan Lake out of the 490,371 who cast a vote should he face down first do you think?
    They are going to make his life hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Keir is about as exciting as watching paint dry, I hope they have got some kind of AI augmentation lined up for him
    I like Keir, and I remember posting on here soon after he entered politics that he would become the Labour leader. He's got my backing and my vote, as long as he doesn't plan any U-turns on Brexit!

I wasn't enthused by the candidates for leader, but Starmer did make great efforts to present himself as the unifying option - and his 10 pledges will be difficult to ditch.

I was angered by some of his victory speech though. He needs to be very careful about giving the government too much of an easy ride and his stance on the 'antisemitism crisis' (same for Long-Bailey and Nandy) has been straight out of the LFI and Board Of Deputies playbooks. He talked about an ethical foreign policy during the campaign - but has been totally silent when it comes to the killings and destruction in Gaza and the West Bank in recent months.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    He clearly has a good mind and impressive credentials, but I think it's fair to say he doesn't possess a sparkling personality.

He clearly has a good mind and impressive credentials, but I think it's fair to say he doesn't possess a sparkling personality.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyashton...tarmer-profile

He comes across as serious but i) doesn't appear fair to say he has no personality given the life he's lead and ii) aren't we ready for serious now? Last couple of years have been full of characters, even May's personality got talked about more than her policies, and we've wasted millions (billions?) of years on a project almost no one cared about before 2015 and has left us inadequately prepared for global crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyashton...tarmer-profile

He comes across as serious but i) doesn't appear fair to say he has no personality given the life he's lead and ii) aren't we ready for serious now? Last couple of years have been full of characters, even May's personality got talked about more than her policies, and we've wasted millions (billions?) of years on a project almost no one cared about before 2015 and has left us inadequately prepared for global crisis.
    Like I said he has my support, but whenever I listen to him give extended talks, I find his presentation a bit drab.

He is a 100% better option that the last leader , I'm so glad he's gone, glad he given Nandy good position , she has something resh about her approach.

Anneliese Dodds is a sharp operator.

Jonathan Ashworth is a very decent performer.

Won't miss McDonald , Abbott , Barry Gardiner, Jon Trickett and Ian Lavery.

He is a 100% better option that the last leader , I'm so glad he's gone, glad he given Nandy good position , she has something resh about her approach.

Anneliese Dodds is a sharp operator.

Jonathan Ashworth is a very decent performer.

Won't miss McDonald , Abbott , Barry Gardiner, Jon Trickett and Ian Lavery.
    I agree generally.

From what I can see Starmer has put up a meritocratic shadow team. He has shown the right distance from the past by jettisoning some of the people you mention though McDonnell was always on an out. He must have been tempted around Benn, Cooper and Jess Phillips but prudently kept them at a little arms length for now.

Whenever I saw Barry Gardiner on Newsnight or a political forum I always wondered how many potential voters he lost tonight. Others you mention and Burgon, showed what you get if you reward loyalty over capability.

A wait and see moment I guess

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I agree generally.

From what I can see Starmer has put up a meritocratic shadow team. He has shown the right distance from the past by jettisoning some of the people you mention though McDonnell was always on an out. He must have been tempted around Benn, Cooper and Jess Phillips but prudently kept them at a little arms length for now.

Whenever I saw Barry Gardiner on Newsnight or a political forum I always wondered how many potential voters he lost tonight. Others you mention and Burgon, showed what you get if you reward loyalty over capability.

A wait and see moment I guess
    What we need know is unity , and a step away from the blame culture .

Where will all the radical Marxists go now that the Labour Party has a centrist leader?

Maybe lardy & cyril can answer this one?

Where will all the radical Marxists go now that the Labour Party has a centrist leader?

Maybe lardy & cyril can answer this one?
    I thought the same before the last election ,gosh if you posted something about Corbyn or Brexit you were evil , it was a big debate , now nothing , yep you would be swamped with comments and insulted for having a different view , and called a lite Tory . ( oh I miss those magical days )

I have tested my theory and posted a few UK related political things and noticed you get a slight nibble , but very little bite these days , its all Trump , Trump, Trump , oh and those childishly comments , picking you up on your grammar and spelling , nothing else to hold onto , nothing to debate I guess , bless them and their multiple identities .

I thought the same before the last election ,gosh if you posted something about Corbyn or Brexit you were evil , it was a big debate , now nothing , yep you would be swamped with comments and insulted for having a different view , and called a lite Tory . ( oh I miss those magical days )

I have tested my theory and posted a few UK related political things and noticed you get a slight nibble , but very little bite these days , its all Trump , Trump, Trump , oh and those childishly comments , picking you up on your grammar and spelling , nothing else to hold onto , nothing to debate I guess , bless them and their multiple identities .
    So you are looking for bites.

Make up your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    So you are looking for bites.

Make up your mind!
    There we go proof of a no substance reply on the OP , If anyone flips through this post you find decent replies, and the odd churlish ones from the usual suspects.