+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone watching Wales - Germany?

Anyone watching Wales - Germany?

0-0 so far. Seems strange watching goalkeepers picking up passbacks. Wales looking threatening on the break.

Re: Anyone watching Wales - Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    0-0 so far. Seems strange watching goalkeepers picking up passbacks. Wales looking threatening on the break.
    i noticed that!..also

no players names on shirts

shorts still very short

The Italian club game was dominate with so many top players playing for Italian clubs

Where is this on? Just watched Wales vBelgium Euro 2016 for the umpteenth time. I still have tears in my eyes when I watch it.

Yep would love to win this one against a world champion team ,imagine that 🤔

score flash...Rush has just put wales up 1-0

now if we can only hold on !!!

Quote Originally Posted by blue nun View Post
    score flash...Rush has just put wales up 1-0

now if we can only hold on !!!
    He's looking sharp I fell of my chair , he could gone on to great things , great atmosphere .

Nice to see we have multiple forward threats and options

Loving the game. Much comment about it over on Twitter.....

least we forget...Nev was a world class goal keeper

Quote Originally Posted by blue nun View Post
    least we forget...Nev was a world class goal keeper
    Yes he was and Ratcliffe, Rush, Saunders, Hughes and Giggs were top players. Speed was coming through and Giggs was shortly to emerge yet we still didn’t qualify.

Why was Peter Shilton the pundit?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yes, I thought that was a bit odd. Also, how awful were Grahame Lloyd and Leighton James? Lloyd must be one of the worst commentators Welsh football has had. Heard somewhere he didn't get on all that well with the late Phil Suarez.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I'm guessing it was because of the World Cup the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Useful for advice on saving German penalties.

as much as it hurts me to say it but they are way behind the current squad for skill and pace.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    as much as it hurts me to say it but they are way behind the current squad for skill and pace.
    If we're honest, football in general has moved on so much. Even that German side looked quite ponderous. Arguably one of the greatest advances in the game is fitness. So much of the game is scientific in terms of diet, training etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Yes because he retired after the 1990 World Cup but no Welsh connections at all. Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If we're honest, football in general has moved on so much. Even that German side looked quite ponderous. Arguably one of the greatest advances in the game is fitness. So much of the game is scientific in terms of diet, training etc.
    yes i agree with all that. i suppose given all those things most of that squad would cope today. Time moves on and it is games like this that highlights it to us.

try watching games from the 70's and 80's on u tube too valley boy to see there,s no comparison to modern football . we've always had discussions on this board about the greatest players but you can't compare from different eras

the same in every sport but I think rugby is a sport where it really hits home the power and pace thats required these days at the top level . a run of the mill club rugby side would smash the great wales sides from the early 70' s etc

i think the modern athlete has reached his/her peak now in terms of power and pace . .Where is top level sport going in the future say in 5 or 10 years time ?

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    yes i agree with all that. i suppose given all those things most of that squad would cope today. Time moves on and it is games like this that highlights it to us.
    Absolutely.

I watch old games on Youtube a lot. The pace and organisation isn't what it is nowadays. In a way it all still cancels each other out.

The danger is to look back at the past with rose-tinted glasses. to halyonic days when things were supposedly better, but they weren't really. They were just different.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    try watching games from the 70's and 80's on u tube too valley boy to see there,s no comparison to modern football . we've always had discussions on this board about the greatest players but you can't compare from different eras

the same in every sport but I think rugby is a sport where it really hits home the power and pace thats required these days at the top level . a run of the mill club rugby side would smash the great wales sides from the early 70' s etc

i think the modern athlete has reached his/her peak now in terms of power and pace . .Where is top level sport going in the future say in 5 or 10 years time ?
    A genius would be just that in any era as they'd have the same advantages. I don't really understand the point you make, are you saying that Einstein wouldn't be a genius if he was born into our generation, or beethoven, Darwin etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    A genius would be just that in any era as they'd have the same advantages. I don't really understand the point you make, are you saying that Einstein wouldn't be a genius if he was born into our generation, or beethoven, Darwin etc?
    Interesting concept. I think they are geniuses of their era. There's no way of proving or disproving whether they'd be geniuses in current times

agree eric they were and still are geniuses from there era in all sports .

in the 80s used to think glen hoddle was the greatest player on earth but would probably struggle to get in spurs 2'nd team these days . no doubt people will say if he was around now he would adapt but we will never know .

in the 80s used to think glen hoddle was the greatest player on earth but would probably struggle to get in spurs 2'nd team these days . no doubt people will say if he was around now he would adapt but we will never know .
    Give them today's stricter diet controls, more scientific training methods and better facilities and you never know. I imagine it must be more difficult dribbling a modern football given they are lighter - a heavy touch sees the ball bounce some distance away. Would some of the old dribblers cope as well with lighter balls?

I can't believe what i'm reading. Glenn hoddle could see a pass before most players had even got out of bed and brushed their teeth. If he was playing now then he'd be subject to the same training methods, diet plans, resting periods etc. According to you though, he may not be able to cope.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I can't believe what i'm reading. Glenn hoddle could see a pass before most players had even got out of bed and brushed their teeth. If he was playing now then he'd be subject to the same training methods, diet plans, resting periods etc. According to you though, he may not be able to cope.
    I'm with you on this Tuerto. I think some are judging those players from 1991 too harshly here. I watched the game on IPlayer last night and something struck me within about fifteen seconds of the game starting when Neville Southall was preparing to kick the ball forward in open play - the pitch may have looked pretty good from a distance, but when Southall bounced the ball, it came up to about two thirds of the height he was obviously expecting it to. Pitches in the nineties were certainly an improvement on those in the decades that preceded them, but they were still some way short of the bowling greens they play on now.

Also, while I accept that the modern ball is tougher to control in terms of quality of contact, the results are often spectacular when it is done in a manner that is spot on technically. We've been praising Peter Whittingham on here in recent weeks and a lot of that stems from his long range goals and excellent delivery from free kicks and corners. Although not perfect, his technique when striking the ball was better than many Premier League players and you only have to see the mess which is frequently made of things in such cases in top level matches throughout the game to realise that many players' techniques do not stand up to the highest examination.

Players are undoubtedly fitter, better prepared and encouraged more to be creative than they were thirty years ago, but, as long as many of those on the pitch that day were able to live with the demands brought on by those advances, they'd cope fine today.