+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: MOTD Top 10 defenders

MOTD Top 10 defenders

Quite enjoying these shows filmed from Linekers kitchen. They did keepers tonight. Kasper Schmichael should’ve been in ahead of Shay Given and maybe a few others but the commentators choose the ten to put in order. Here’s mine:

10. Given
    9. James
    8. Allison
    7. Lehman
    6. De Gea
    5. Ederson
    4. Van der Sar
    3. Seaman
    2. Schmichael
    1. Cech

Re: MOTD Top 10 defenders

Id probably swap 1 and 2 the more I think of it

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Id probably swap 1 and 2 the more I think of it
    Definitely. Schmeichel won Utd a few titles. He kept them in games at times and they'd pinch late goals at the other end

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Definitely. Schmeichel won Utd a few titles. He kept them in games at times and they'd pinch late goals at the other end
    Interesting you say that whenever I watch pl years he looks to concede a lot of goals where modern keeper would get ripped apart for. There is no doubt he made fantastic saves but for me Van Der Saar rarely made errors.

As for the list Brad Friedel should be on the list and Nigel Martyn.

Did Neville Southall do enough in premier league to make the cut? As for the show, they briefly mentioned that top 5 had played behind good defences which is surely another argument for Kasper making the list having won Premier League without a historically great defence.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Did Neville Southall do enough in premier league to make the cut? As for the show, they briefly mentioned that top 5 had played behind good defences which is surely another argument for Kasper making the list having won Premier League without a historically great defence.
    I think Leicester's defence was excellent that season, especially with Kante being in such good form in front of them. Their defensive record was one of the better ones in the Premier League for several seasons. Since that 2016 season, there have been a few teams conceding less than 30, but they were few and far between before that.

Southall? I didn't realise he was 39 when he played his last game for Everton. He had 6 seasons in the PL, I didn't think it had been that many.

Łukasz Fabiański always seems to put in a decent shift.

I think I'm the only person in the world that thinks Cech was overrated crap. Mourhino said he was the best in the world and the label kinda stuck. He was behind a very good defence for a start. For his first few years he was solid but unspectacular. He didnt make many mistakes and was reliable but was hardly world class

After the Injury plenty of mistakes crept into his game. If I remember rightly, it was blunders by Cech that got the Czech republic eliminated from 2 tournaments. Then again he won their player of the year 9 times so he must have done something right 😂.

Theres obviously something I'm missing because the bloke is almost unanimously in everyones top 3. But to me, he will always be absolute shite 😂

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I think I'm the only person in the world that thinks Cech was overrated crap. Mourhino said he was the best in the world and the label kinda stuck. He was behind a very good defence for a start. For his first few years he was solid but unspectacular. He didnt make many mistakes and was reliable but was hardly world class

After the Injury plenty of mistakes crept into his game. If I remember rightly, it was blunders by Cech that got the Czech republic eliminated from 2 tournaments. Then again he won their player of the year 9 times so he must have done something right 😂.

Theres obviously something I'm missing because the bloke is almost unanimously in everyones top 3. But to me, he will always be absolute shite 😂
    He has kept a clean sheet in almost half the games he’s played. 4 league titles, champions league, cups, he’s won it all. I think people remember him for his time at arsenal. He was top notch at Chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    He’s Welsh. Nothing else to be said.

6 seasons in PL
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevill...eer_statistics