+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Covid 19.....You are going to get it ....100%

Banned

Re: Covid 19.....You are going to get it ....100%

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You're using this sort of language repeatedly. There is no evidence for it and it's really not helpful.

There is a chance we'll have lock-downs for five years or more, not every chance.

As for being in the same position in November 2020, or 2022, or 2024, the fact of the matter is that you have no more idea what the situation will be then than anybody else does, although you like to make it sound like you do.
    What is the evidence you have seen that means you can categorically rule this scenario out? I've been looking, and I can't see anything. Therefore, what makes my scenario (based on the lack of knowledge on immunisation, the lack of a vaccine, the inability to test enough of the population of practically every country) more unhelpful than the scenario that life will be back to normal in time for Christmas. I have not said anywhere that this WILL happen.

The Spanish flu was with us for 2 years - this was exacerbated by people returning from war and malnourishment. It died a natural way, but at a time when people weren't travelling all 4 corners of the globe. How easy do you think it will be to contain a second wave that originates in America or Australia or India?

Banned

Look, I have put the reasons for my arguments here in black and white. Where I have been most forceful is in challenging other people's opinions. That doesn't mean I think I am right, and I've never said I am right. I appreciate my scenario is unpalatable. But, I have to say, I won't be led up a pretty garden path on this. The thought and expectation that flattening the curve is all we have to do is incredibly optimistic. I am fearful that people are not being prepared for a reoccurrence of this - and I am incredibly concerned at how the public would respond if there were a second wave that they weren't expecting.

Personally, I think the UK is one of the few countries to have gotten the handling of this correct - albeit late. That doesn't preclude the likelihood of another wave and another lockdown . I don't quite understand why me ruling this out is so upsetting. I am preparing for it - I will be downsizing as soon as this is over and making myself mortgage free. If my job survives this wave, it won't survive if there is a subsequent wave.

Where I have less confidence is that, once contained, it is over. Where I have less confidence is that, once you have it, you're immune for years. And, I have little confidence that a vaccine is the complete answer. That will take years (I still think 18 months is optimistic) - and you have the anti-vax movement to contend with. Measles was all but eradicated until recently thanks to those bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Seems a fair question to be honest..
    I'm not saying they haven't had it but would also like to know how they know they have had it?
    Lawnmower had a dry cough, a fever and lost his sense of taste.

Until the tests are available to all we will stumble around in the darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Look, I have put the reasons for my arguments here in black and white. Where I have been most forceful is in challenging other people's opinions. That doesn't mean I think I am right, and I've never said I am right. I appreciate my scenario is unpalatable. But, I have to say, I won't be led up a pretty garden path on this. The thought and expectation that flattening the curve is all we have to do is incredibly optimistic. I am fearful that people are not being prepared for a reoccurrence of this - and I am incredibly concerned at how the public would respond if there were a second wave that they weren't expecting.

Personally, I think the UK is one of the few countries to have gotten the handling of this correct - albeit late. That doesn't preclude the likelihood of another wave and another lockdown . I don't quite understand why me ruling this out is so upsetting. I am preparing for it - I will be downsizing as soon as this is over and making myself mortgage free. If my job survives this wave, it won't survive if there is a subsequent wave.

Where I have less confidence is that, once contained, it is over. Where I have less confidence is that, once you have it, you're immune for years. And, I have little confidence that a vaccine is the complete answer. That will take years (I still think 18 months is optimistic) - and you have the anti-vax movement to contend with. Measles was all but eradicated until recently thanks to those bastards.
    Cant find much in there to argue with . That's how I see it going , truth is no one knows .

I opened with my opinion. I am mechanic who drives a truck and runs a small business. What do I know ?

If something good comes from this , will it be our attitude to greed and the destruction we are doing to the planet?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    And you're not?
    What is dangerous about debating the possibility that this could go on for a long time? Compared to others in this thread who

A Still go out cycling
    B Have been ill and assume they are immune from Covid-19
    C Assume a friend has had it and query why not everyone he has been with has had it (conspirational theory stuff)

I have

A Explored and reasoned why I think this COULD BE with us a long time. I will be happy if and when I am wrong, and I'll continue reading the journals and change my opinions based on those.

You are trying, in a blinkered way, to make mileage out of the fact that I use words like "could be" but everything is a "could be". It's obvious that if my "could be" was a nice one you'd have less of a problem. It's plain that you are unable to apply critical or scientific thinking to this. I am not ruling anything in or out - there is no embarrassment if I am wrong, that's not how this stuff works (although that is exactly how it works on a forum where people fall out over trivial matters)

I have seen something similar written on a scientific forum, and it's not surprising that it has had a more mature response from a more pragmatic audience than my posting on a football message board. It reasons that countries will face shortened periods of restrictions over the next decade - many of those placed to protect the economy from a longer lockdown like Spain, Italy and eventually us are experiencing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

Which is correct. I hope he is recovering, and I hope he gets an antibody test when they are available.

Banned

Cant find much in there to argue with . That's how I see it going , truth is no one knows .

I opened with my opinion. I am mechanic who drives a truck and runs a small business. What do I know ?

If something good comes from this , will it be our attitude to greed and the destruction we are doing to the planet?
    I think we'll all have reassessed our priorities in life, and that is a good thing.

There is no cure .

There wont be a vaccine for some time .

For the country to move forward and get back on its feet , on the whole ,we all have to get it .

Once the number of deaths drop below a certain point , restrictions will be lifted and we will start again.

The deaths are being controlled , which is of course sensible .

The hospital in the millennium stadium is a sign of things to come .

The only positive I can think about it at the moment is a lot of us have had it and aren't aware.

Anyone disagree with my interpretation of the current situation ?
    I would agree with this myself makes complete sense.
    My experience was I had severe flu like no other I've had.
    The flu went after 5 days but had severe breathing difficulties after climbing the stairs, It was like somebody had thrown a bag of flour up in the air constantly and you were trying to breath. This finally went after almost 2 weeks. A few days ago so I can see why it has been killing a lot of people.
    So if your quite fit and healthy I'd say just get it out the way as it can make you a prisoner in your own mind until you get it.
    Now I've had it I go out and I feel invincible about it now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    I would agree with this myself makes complete sense.
    My experience was I had severe flu like no other I've had.
    The flu went after 5 days but had severe breathing difficulties after climbing the stairs, It was like somebody had thrown a bag of flour up in the air constantly and you were trying to breath. This finally went after almost 2 weeks. A few days ago so I can see why it has been killing a lot of people.
    So if your quite fit and healthy I'd say just get it out the way as it can make you a prisoner in your own mind until you get it.
    Now I've had it I go out and I feel invincible about it now.
    Were you tested?

What is dangerous about debating the possibility that this could go on for a long time? Compared to others in this thread who

A Still go out cycling
    B Have been ill and assume they are immune from Covid-19
    C Assume a friend has had it and query why not everyone he has been with has had it (conspirational theory stuff)

I have

A Explored and reasoned why I think this COULD BE with us a long time. I will be happy if and when I am wrong, and I'll continue reading the journals and change my opinions based on those.

You are trying, in a blinkered way, to make mileage out of the fact that I use words like "could be" but everything is a "could be". It's obvious that if my "could be" was a nice one you'd have less of a problem. It's plain that you are unable to apply critical or scientific thinking to this. I am not ruling anything in or out - there is no embarrassment if I am wrong, that's not how this stuff works (although that is exactly how it works on a forum where people fall out over trivial matters)

I have seen something similar written on a scientific forum, and it's not surprising that it has had a more mature response from a more pragmatic audience than my posting on a football message board. It reasons that countries will face shortened periods of restrictions over the next decade - many of those placed to protect the economy from a longer lockdown like Spain, Italy and eventually us are experiencing.
    And so we get to the crux of the matter .

Firstly , cycling hasn't been banned , Unless of course I missed that memo.
    My mistake was to cycle further than my local area. It has been brought up , I have been suitably criticised. I have seen the error of my ways and said I wouldn't repeat it . Yet you have brought it up at least three times on this thread .
    We have asked you what your roll in life is , I am going to say you are not a leader , leaders do not chastise people time and time again for the same mistake , it makes them look small minded and unintelligent .

Its great you have shared your superior knowledge with us all . thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think if that happens unless it’s done ridiculously slowly we would end up with too many deaths.

How many have it now? 1% of the population? 5%?

We’ve already had 4000 deaths.
    I've read they think 10% of the population has had it, if so there is a hell of a way to go?

Originally with the herd immunity theory they talked of 60% of the population getting it, mainly children and workers, it would bring it to a halt?

It seems a bit low to me but we certainly won't get to 100%.

Banned

My mistake was to cycle further than my local area. It has been brought up , I have been suitably criticised. I have seen the error of my ways and said I wouldn't repeat it . Yet you have brought it up at least three times on this thread .
    We have asked you what your roll in life is , I am going to say you are not a leader , leaders do not chastise people time and time again for the same mistake , it makes them look small minded and unintelligent .

Why have you taken it so personally? You're not the only one flouting the rules, although you are one of the few correcting their ways.

I was merely comparing me theorising where this may take us, with the actions of people who flout the rules, and people who claim they have had the illness without tests.

There is no cure .

There wont be a vaccine for some time .

For the country to move forward and get back on its feet , on the whole ,we all have to get it .

Once the number of deaths drop below a certain point , restrictions will be lifted and we will start again.

The deaths are being controlled , which is of course sensible .

The hospital in the millennium stadium is a sign of things to come .

The only positive I can think about it at the moment is a lot of us have had it and aren't aware.

Anyone disagree with my interpretation of the current situation ?
    This bloke thinks we should more or less just get on with it!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mer-judge.html

I went to Spain with 15 other lads if you include the lads we met up with from Scotland. 10 of us went on minibus to Gatwick
    We got on a plane to benidorm for 4 days.
    Returned home on the Wednesday. By the Friday it had hit me and I now know that 12 of the others all had the same symptoms with one of the boys who lives in Ely getting an ambulance out last week as he was really struggling to breath and pain in his lungs. The paramedics tested him and he definitely had Coronavirus they said. So what are the chances of the rest of us not having it? Very slim.
    They wouldn't take him into hospital as they said more people were worse than him

What is the evidence you have seen that means you can categorically rule this scenario out? I've been looking, and I can't see anything. Therefore, what makes my scenario (based on the lack of knowledge on immunisation, the lack of a vaccine, the inability to test enough of the population of practically every country) more unhelpful than the scenario that life will be back to normal in time for Christmas. I have not said anywhere that this WILL happen.

The Spanish flu was with us for 2 years - this was exacerbated by people returning from war and malnourishment. It died a natural way, but at a time when people weren't travelling all 4 corners of the globe. How easy do you think it will be to contain a second wave that originates in America or Australia or India?
    Easy lock the borders immediately no one in no one out.

What's wrong with cycling?

As long as you are on your own and keep a distance better still into the countryside where there are no people?

how far did you go?

What if you have an accident and you need to go to A and E

Shouldn’t the whole country be locked down full stop then ?
    If we do that there's no healthcare, so more people will die. If we need healthcare, we need public transport to allow people to get there and so on.

I guess we could get the army and volunteers to make food boxes up and deliver them, but if people obey social distancing and keep washing hands etc then going to the supermarket becomes low risk.

Some people will pick this virus up. All of the measures, as I see it, are designed to reduce the spread of it, without the need for a full scale shut down. Any one of us could be spreading the virus unknowingly. Because of that, anyone flouting the rules about staying home and not keeping their distance is a retarded w@nkspangle.

What if you have an accident and you need to go to A and E
    Cycle carefully and don't have one, what if you fall down the stairs and go to A & E?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If we do that there's no healthcare, so more people will die. If we need healthcare, we need public transport to allow people to get there and so on.

I guess we could get the army and volunteers to make food boxes up and deliver them, but if people obey social distancing and keep washing hands etc then going to the supermarket becomes low risk.

Some people will pick this virus up. All of the measures, as I see it, are designed to reduce the spread of it, without the need for a full scale shut down. Any one of us could be spreading the virus unknowingly. Because of that, anyone flouting the rules about staying home and not keeping their distance is a retarded w@nkspangle.
    I think supermarkets and petrol stations are the main spreaders now, we probably need tighter measures and improvements there!

I'd feel safer on a walk or bike ride than a trip to the supermarket!

Banned

I went to Spain with 15 other lads if you include the lads we met up with from Scotland. 10 of us went on minibus to Gatwick
    We got on a plane to benidorm for 4 days.
    Returned home on the Wednesday. By the Friday it had hit me and I now know that 12 of the others all had the same symptoms with one of the boys who lives in Ely getting an ambulance out last week as he was really struggling to breath and pain in his lungs. The paramedics tested him and he definitely had Coronavirus they said. So what are the chances of the rest of us not having it? Very slim.
    They wouldn't take him into hospital as they said more people were worse than him
    So you cannot say with 100 percent certainty that you had Covid-19, but you claim you now feel invincible?

Was your friend tested?

I've just finished a 7day isolation, went down with a cold, not as nasty as some I've had in the past, but from the pattern of the cold from my own previous history I had it down as a bog std. cold from day one, rightly or wrongly, the two symptoms that turned me away from possible Covid was that, I have not had a temp/fever, my sense of taste & smell did not change, tomato sauce, (the acid test!!) still smells the foulest substance this earth has ever produced, if i would have been able to stomach tomato sauce smell i would have started to get a little worried.

LM symptoms fall into Covid territory when considering experiences from those who have had it.

So you cannot say with 100 percent certainty that you had Covid-19, but you claim you now feel invincible?

Was your friend tested?
    He says in the post that the paramedics said his mate definitely had Coronavirus. I'm not a medical worker or scientist so that's good enough for me. Understandably it's not for you, what is it you do for a living again?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    He says in the post that the paramedics said his mate definitely had Coronavirus. I'm not a medical worker or scientist so that's good enough for me. Understandably it's not for you, what is it you do for a living again?
    Well, you plainly are not a scientist because that would not be good enough for a scientist nor a doctor. How do you think science works - "there's a good chance that is correct, so let's just say it's correct and head off to the pub"?

Has it been proven you can't get it twice yet?