Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
FYI these are the kinds of confident, seemingly educated, passed off as your own statements that lead me to ask you what you do for a living
Passed off as my own statements? Of course they are. I haven't quoted anyone.

The anti-body tests were mooted during the earliest press conferences. Johnson claimed they would be ready very soon, and implied that would be within a matter of a week or two. The issue is, and always has been, the accuracy of tests. That is why I was a bit skeptical about the claim that these tests would be available in a short time. At the time of his statement, I assumed that work had already been taking place, but when I researched it further I found that it was still very early days. So, I concluded that Johnson was talking crap - possibly in an effort to give us a lift, completely unhelpful of course.

With regards to a vaccine, i am using history. The Zika outbreak of 2015-16 still hasn't produced an approved virus. That is as much a result of the outbreak subsiding as anything else but, considering that the Zika virus was first identified in the 40s, and considering it is related to Yellow Fever (has a vaccine), and Dengue Fever (a dodgy vaccine).

Measles vaccines took over a decade to develop - albeit in the 50s and 60s. It wasn't until the 1980s that the US embarked on a mass vaccination program (measles was killing thousands of Americans a year from the 19. Measles should, really, be eradicated - but the anti-vaxxers are holding us back.

Mumps - vaccines existed in the 40s and were largely ineffective, before more effective vaccines were produced in the 60s.

People have been quoting the flu vaccine on here - you can still get flu even after a vaccine because you are only vaccinated against the most prevalent strain at the time. There are two strains of covid-19 - would one vaccine resolve both? If it does, then would that lengthen the process to create a vaccine? Well, it's not going to make it easier.

As for the virus, will it evolve into more strains? If so, does that make the vaccine ineffective?

I think that you would have less of an inclination to query my work if I was saying things that were more tangible. It is, I think, an attempt to discredit my opinions and views (i.e. an attack on the person, and not the point being made). But, my views on this are based on evidence I have seen.

At some stage, life will have to return to normal. At that stage, considering that sufferers can be asymptomatic (and we really need to know the percentages on that), and some people are more susceptible to suffering from it (we need to know who, why, and how many), we are likely to see further waves. Maybe not as significant in terms of numbers, but certainly significant in terms of effects on our every day lives.

Hopefully, rather than wasting time asking me what I do for a living, you can spend that time looking for things that enhance the debate. It is apparent that is beyond the realms of possibility for many on this forum - it wasn't so long ago that many on here were taking the word of a furniture salesman as fact just because he claimed to be a pilot. Just because his nickname was "Pilot" or something like that.

Just to re-iterate, I am not claiming to be right on any of this. I am just giving my opinions based on things I have heard, read, seen. It's not much different to someone creating a blog telling us why a football club is being run badly - despite having never run anything more complicated than a bath. As long as he says what you want to hear, it's a good blog. When he says something you don't want to hear, it turns into an attack on the person.