+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Peter Walker RIP

Peter Walker RIP

A Glamorgan legend, at 84 has passed away
    RIP

Re: Peter Walker RIP

A fine player, wonderful fielder and a reliable no 4 or 5 in the batting order, could turn his arm as well. Decent commentator as well. RIP to another prominent sportsman of my childhood.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    A fine player, wonderful fielder and a reliable no 4 or 5 in the batting order, could turn his arm as well. Decent commentator as well. RIP to another prominent sportsman of my childhood.
    Hugely unlucky with his Test career but still a very good player at county level .

Certainly, he was the voice of Glamorgan cricket on those Sunday broadcasts of my youth and a proper gent to go with it. He always had time for the kids at Sophia Gardens/ ST Helens and it was appreciated.

Believe he holds an unenviable record related to his brief test appearances but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was.

I'm a bit too young to remember Peter Walker's test career and, in fact I recall him more as a broadcaster - he came across as knowledgeable and sympathetic in that. My memories of him as a player are mostly to do with his brilliant close catching off the likes of Don Shepherd and Jim Presdee and some entertaining at times batting - am I right in thinking his bowling became less effective as time went on?

I also remember him batting very well in a floodlit charity game played at Cardiff RFC's ground in 1989 - he must have been in his early forties then, but batted as well as anyone on the night.

RIP

RIP - Remember him as a commentator on Welsh Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Hugely unlucky with his Test career but still a very good player at county level .

Certainly, he was the voice of Glamorgan cricket on those Sunday broadcasts of my youth and a proper gent to go with it. He always had time for the kids at Sophia Gardens/ ST Helens and it was appreciated.

Believe he holds an unenviable record related to his brief test appearances but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was.
    My memories of Peter Walker are that he was a top class County player but I was never entirely convinced he was a test player. Having Wilf Wooller on the panel of Test Selectors at the time may well have helped his selection. Having said that he was the best close to the wicket fielder I have ever seen - c. Walker b. Shepherd always seemed to appear very regularly on the scorecard. He played in a period when we had a very high reputation for close to the wicket fielding with Roger Davies and Billy Slade also very prominent. A very good batsman and bowler too. All in all a great servant to Glamorgan and a thoroughly decent bloke - RIP Peter

One of my schoolboy heroes.

This is a must if you havn't seen it,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQoCDrXSNaA

I remember him fronting the John Player League on BBC 2 on Sunday afternoons but was too young to watch him live. Undoubtedly a Glamorgan legend.