Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BAN WET MARKETS

BAN WET MARKETS

Please sign the Ban Wet Market petition . cheers

https://animalequality.org.uk/act/ban-wet-markets

Re: BAN WET MARKETS

Signed

Totally agree. Can't see the Chinese enforcing it though.

Agree with the sentiment, but bit of a waste of everyone's time signing it

Didn't they ban them for a while after SARS and then let them sneak back in. If they don't ban them now they never will.

There's probably alot more to sort out before these markets can be closed down. I'm not that clued up on Chinese government policy although i'm guessing that these markets are frequented by poor people and that maybe they're cheap? If so, shouldn't governments put pressure on the Chinese government to raise living standards? (not likely) i understand your sentiments over this virus and the horrendous conditions the Animals have to endure, but in my opinion, without an alternative then only the poorest Chinese will suffer-again.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Didn't they ban them for a while after SARS and then let them sneak back in. If they don't ban them now they never will.

Yes, they did. I would prefer to ban entry for any person who has visited a country (within 6 months), or resides in a country, with known wet-markets from entry into the UK. We can't control what the Chinese do via petitions, we just have to make it difficult for them whilst they carry on.

Once we sort out the wet markets, we can then extend that to their medieval beliefs that Rhinoceros horns can improve a man's staying power.

They reopened with very little changed - at least the one in question did, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Yes, they did. I would prefer to ban entry for any person who has visited a country (within 6 months), or resides in a country, with known wet-markets from entry into the UK. We can't control what the Chinese do via petitions, we just have to make it difficult for them whilst they carry on.

Once we sort out the wet markets, we can then extend that to their medieval beliefs that Rhinoceros horns can improve a man's staying power.
    So any UK citizen who lives in or visits China or south East Asia can't return home?

That's gonna hurt Brits 100 times more than it'll hurt China, to be honest.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    So any UK citizen who lives in or visits China or south East Asia can't return home?

That's gonna hurt Brits 100 times more than it'll hurt China, to be honest.
    You can't bar entry to the UK for a citizen of the UK.

You can't bar entry to the UK for a citizen of the UK.
    So your entry ban idea is a non-starter then.

And it would mean any chinese resident in the uk could never visit home

Banned

Only if you think that only UK citizens arrive at UK airports.

Banned

And it would mean any chinese resident in the uk could never visit home
    Yep, putting pressure on the Chinese Governments to remove the wet markets.

Actually, they could visit home, they just wouldn't be able to come back unless they spent 6 months in a country where there are no wet markets.

Is anyone actually signing the petition?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    No - I agree with the sentiment but there is no way the Chinese are going to change. They're still involved in markets that result in endangered animals being killed for medicinal reasons.

Unlike the SARS virus, the current contagion is pandemic and I believe even the Chinese have been shaken to the core by it.

There will inevitably be a backlash once this pandemic has run its course and I would imagine there'll be a global initiative to ensure these wet markets are closed permanently.

If the Chinese goverment decide to ignore the wishes of people from all other nations, they could and probably would be hit by global trade embargoes, the like of which have never been seen before.

Having said all that, I have a feeling they know the game is up and hopefully these markets will become a thing of the past very soon.

Only if you think that only UK citizens arrive at UK airports.
    What are you talking about?

Slow down a second, stop trying to reply as quick as you can. You said a ban on EVERYONE entering the UK who's been to China (and Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, etc) as they have wet markets. So no, obviously I don't think only UK people arrive at UK airports, and well done for resorting to being patronising, but that is the particular demographic I'm referring to.

How can these people be banned from entering the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Unlike the SARS virus, the current contagion is pandemic and I believe even the Chinese have been shaken to the core by it.

There will inevitably be a backlash once this pandemic has run its course and I would imagine there'll be a global initiative to ensure these wet markets are closed permanently.

If the Chinese goverment decide to ignore the wishes of people from all other nations, they could and probably would be hit by global trade embargoes, the like of which have never been seen before.

Having said all that, I have a feeling they know the game is up and hopefully these markets will become a thing of the past very soon.
    Agree with your last sentence. I think China have to do this on their own, they absolutely won't bow to international pressure. But I'd be pretty sure that they quietly will as this is huge and is going to get bigger.

Banned

What are you talking about?

Slow down a second, stop trying to reply as quick as you can. You said a ban on EVERYONE entering the UK who's been to China (and Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, etc) as they have wet markets. So no, obviously I don't think only UK people arrive at UK airports, and well done for resorting to being patronising, but that is the particular demographic I'm referring to.

How can these people be banned from entering the UK?

Sorry, I would have thought you'd have known it is not possible to ban UK citizens from entering their own country - so I am a bit amazed that you jumped to the conclusion you did. Maybe you hit reply a bit quickly.

It is really quite simple to bar entry to people with certain stamps in their passports. It is already in place in, for example, Lebanon where you will be refused entry if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport. There used to be a similar thing for Greece, if you had a Turkish stamp in your passport you weren't allowed into Greece.

Banned

Agree with your last sentence. I think China have to do this on their own, they absolutely won't bow to international pressure. But I'd be pretty sure that they quietly will as this is huge and is going to get bigger.
    It will be interesting to see if anyone tries to sue China for reparations.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, I just did. Difficult to watch that video.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    Please sign the Ban Wet Market petition . cheers

https://animalequality.org.uk/act/ban-wet-markets
    What do you think Morrissey would make of that?

Sorry, I would have thought you'd have known it is not possible to ban UK citizens from entering their own country - so I am a bit amazed that you jumped to the conclusion you did. Maybe you hit reply a bit quickly.

It is really quite simple to bar entry to people with certain stamps in their passports. It is already in place in, for example, Lebanon where you will be refused entry if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport. There used to be a similar thing for Greece, if you had a Turkish stamp in your passport you weren't allowed into Greece.
    You said:

" I would prefer to ban entry for any person who has visited a country (within 6 months), or resides in a country, with known wet-markets from entry into the UK."

Signed.