+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Championship clubs to go into group administration?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Championship clubs to go into group administration?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Not at all. I am not talking about deferring players wages. I am saying that the clubs, en masse, should say they are paying each player no more than £800 a week. If the player doesn't like it, what can he do? There's no football being played.

When football resumes, they can go back to earning extortionate amounts of money for 2 hours work a day.
    The player is under contract and most of them affiliated to the PFA. I'd say that there's a fair bit they can do.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The player is under contract and most of them affiliated to the PFA. I'd say that there's a fair bit they can do.
    Like what? Go on strike while the people who clean their kit, make their food, and sell shirts get furloughed? Hand in transfer requests? I'd love to see how they would respond in a way that wouldn't be a complete PR disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Like what? Go on strike while the people who clean their kit, make their food, and sell shirts get furloughed? Hand in transfer requests? I'd love to see how they would respond in a way that wouldn't be a complete PR disaster.
    They would be more than within their rights to go on strike. Billionaire football club owners being bailed out by the state-Whatever next?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    They would be more than within their rights to go on strike. Billionaire football club owners being bailed out by the state-Whatever next?
    On the owners being bailed out by the state - I agree, completely disgraceful. The clubs who have done it so far are owned by wealthy people, mostly foreigners.

But, can you imagine the backlash if footballers went on strike for having their wages reduced to £800 a week (£40,000 a year) at a time where they couldn't train or play football? Can you imagine them doing it at a time when the people who pay to watch them are losing their jobs and businesses? Football is completely out of touch, and it has proven that over the last few days.

This thread started with 24 owners of football clubs threatening to go into administration - a decision that would kill small businesses at a time they are most vulnerable. The fact is, these clubs all have one thing in common. Their biggest overhead are the players. The clubs should get together, agree a wage cap until things get back to normal. Not sure footballers are going to get much sympathy for not earning £10,000 a week for a few weeks.