+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone being a good samaritan at this time ?

Anyone being a good samaritan at this time ?

I have been on a community website and I am telephoning those locally with mental health problems whose numbers have been passed to me by their beloved

Just phoning them up , signposting them to help and support , chatting

Its isolating enough to be on a downer at the best of times but for those with the more serious problems like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder they are completely cut off

No psychiatric clinics to visit , no psychiatric nurses to visit them at home

And of course a lot of people are going to be experiencing mental ill health for the first time with the stress and strain of family life , work etc as this virus takes hold

Re: Anyone being a good samaritan at this time ?

Posted letters through elderly neighbours doors with phone numbers if they need any help.
    Both phoned back and said they were OK but thanked us and said they would ask for help if they needed in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Posted letters through elderly neighbours doors with phone numbers if they need any help.
    Both phoned back and said they were OK but thanked us and said they would ask for help if they needed in the future.
    Top man !

Wish I could go fishing down st George's, lovely day although it's close season so I would get nicked

We have a community support group on our road (and a few side roads) that was formed 2 weeks ago. Posters on gate posts and in windows giving contact numbers for help. Today we delivered pairs of red and green cards (printed A5) for our section of the road (every section is covered by a volunteer) for people to put in their windows - green means all OK; red means help wanted (with a short tick box list on it to say whether it is shopping, medicines, telephone contact or whatever). My partner has volunteered to check our addresses every day and we will follow up on any red cards.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We have a community support group on our road (and a few side roads) that was formed 2 weeks ago. Posters on gate posts and in windows giving contact numbers for help. Today we delivered pairs of red and green cards (printed A5) for our section of the road (every section is covered by a volunteer) for people to put in their windows - green means all OK; red means help wanted (with a short tick box list on it to say whether it is shopping, medicines, telephone contact or whatever). My partner has volunteered to check our addresses every day and we will follow up on any red cards.
    Sheffield , welcome to the peoples republic of yorkshire

Well done Jon and SLUDGE

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Very impressive and extremely well organised 👍

As mentioned, put mine and missus phone number out to immediate elderly and vulnerable neighbours as soon as this kicked off, one of the old buggers decided to take the Number to day centre and gave it out offering 'Our Service' my landline was like a chinese Take away for two nights, one old lady was trying to put a scheduled shop together for me, and her dietary needs-i soon put her on to meals on wheels

Same here. I currently shop for a lovely 90-year-old German lady who lives about a mile away and I'm on standby for 18 dwellings in my street (and which are predominantly occupied by the elderly). I'm hoping that they don't all call on me at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    As mentioned, put mine and missus phone number out to immediate elderly and vulnerable neighbours as soon as this kicked off, one of the old buggers decided to take the Number to day centre and gave it out offering 'Our Service' my landline was like a chinese Take away for two nights, one old lady was trying to put a scheduled shop together for me, and her dietary needs-i soon put her on to meals on wheels
    That's a classic. Haha fair do's

Doing my neighbours shopping with mine and my own weekly, it’s ****ing mental what old people want and how specific. Trying to maintain a cheery facade though. Turns the shopping trip into a 3 hour stint but obviously happy to help! 😂

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Doing my neighbours shopping with mine and my own weekly, it’s ****ing mental what old people want and how specific. Trying to maintain a cheery facade though. Turns the shopping trip into a 3 hour stint but obviously happy to help! 😂
    They know what they like, i don't know if it's a 'old' thing, but stocking up on tinned stuff seems to be the order of the day. When my nan died i threw out 20 tins of pilchards and a Heinz spaghetti hoops tin that had a youthful Kevin Keegan on the front in full 70s England Kit.

I've done shopping for people and we've shared spare food items with friends and family. And if cook too much, I'll package it and leave it out on the porch for neighbors to collect. I've been doing yard work for the old lady next door - but I do that anyway. We have a couple of friends that are single and seem to be having an especially hard time, we'll invite them (one at a time) over to sit outside for a couple of hours if the weather is nice. No one is allowed in the house though. All-in-all, I think most people are doing their bit.

Not really good samaritan I suppose as im getting paid for it, but starting a portering job in the new hospital on Sunday. It's as much to keep me sane as anything else 😂. Never thought d miss being in work

Well done all

Ive had 2 trips to the food bank but its all but shut down now, the manager has said they will wait and see whats happening in the short term future

Youngest daughter ( who is 12 ) sent little notes out to the elderly neighbours near us ( though we only moved in 6 weeks ago, so might have missed one ) with our phone number on and said if they need anything just phone us, 2 phoned her and thanked her and said they
    would call if they needed anything

My wife told one of her elderly friends / customers when she last called in to do the ladies hair, if they were stuck, just text, anyway, she phoned and wanted a shop, I had a delivery coming for my in-laws, so i added onto that, as above, the list was very specific, they didnt have " finest 1/4 lb'ers " but changed them for something similar, they ummmed and arrrrghed over did they want it, I was almost stuck with 9 quid of bloody burgers, We are Veggie, in then end, they said " oh thats fine ", wanted laughing cow blue cheese triangles and got normal laughing cow triangles, they moaned about that, its a bloody cheese triangle for gawds sake

someone near us is doing the red card / green card thing, we walk past the houses when we take the dogs out,

Ive joined our local Covid FB group, nice to see communities coming together, long make it continue after life gets back to normal

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I have been on a community website and I am telephoning those locally with mental health problems whose numbers have been passed to me by their beloved

Its isolating enough to be on a downer at the best of times but for those with the more serious problems like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder they are completely cut off

And of course a lot of people are going to be experiencing mental ill health for the first time with the stress and strain of family life , work etc as this virus takes hold
    Shopping for the elderly but have also signed up for RCT volunteer scheme. Just waiting on my DBS to come through.

Well done Jon and SLUDGE
    Sludge would give you his last Rolo

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Well done all

Ive had 2 trips to the food bank but its all but shut down now, the manager has said they will wait and see whats happening in the short term future

Youngest daughter ( who is 12 ) sent little notes out to the elderly neighbours near us ( though we only moved in 6 weeks ago, so might have missed one ) with our phone number on and said if they need anything just phone us, 2 phoned her and thanked her and said they
    would call if they needed anything

My wife told one of her elderly friends / customers when she last called in to do the ladies hair, if they were stuck, just text, anyway, she phoned and wanted a shop, I had a delivery coming for my in-laws, so i added onto that, as above, the list was very specific, they didnt have " finest 1/4 lb'ers " but changed them for something similar, they ummmed and arrrrghed over did they want it, I was almost stuck with 9 quid of bloody burgers, We are Veggie, in then end, they said " oh thats fine ", wanted laughing cow blue cheese triangles and got normal laughing cow triangles, they moaned about that, its a bloody cheese triangle for gawds sake

someone near us is doing the red card / green card thing, we walk past the houses when we take the dogs out,

Ive joined our local Covid FB group, nice to see communities coming together, long make it continue after life gets back to normal
    If they play up then tell them to **** off.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Sludge would give you his last Rolo
    But not my last kebab

God I am missing them

Trying to but I ain't going anywhere near the hospital!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Surely you managed to get a couple of potential conquests into your little black book for future reference once this is all over?

Cardiff Council have been calling people over a certain age and those deemed at risk asking if there is there is anything they can help with.

I have been delivering food and essentials to those at risk.

I know the Council get a knocking on here but they are doing a good job trying to keep things going.

A lot of respect to the volunteers who are there day in day out as well.