+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: ANY COLLECTORS ON HERE ?

ANY COLLECTORS ON HERE ?

Would be interesting to know what, if anything, people on here collect as a sort of hobby.

Most I assume have or still do collect football programmes. Being a hoarder, I've still got a shed load, some of which are quite valuable such as European Cup and Cup Winners Cup finals from the early 60's.

More recently I've collected 50p pieces, sadly the original Kew Gardens one still eludes me.

Going further back, Brooke Bond tea cards were a passion of mine. As we're Mars Attacks cards, which are worth a few bob nowadays. Unfortunately many years ago my parents decided to declutter their house and these treasures were lost forever.

If I had limitless funds I would love a collection of vintage guitars.

So, what do you collect, used to collect or wish you could collect ?

Re: ANY COLLECTORS ON HERE ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Would be interesting to know what, if anything, people on here collect as a sort of hobby.

Most I assume have or still do collect football programmes. Being a hoarder, I've still got a shed load, some of which are quite valuable such as European Cup and Cup Winners Cup finals from the early 60's.

More recently I've collected 50p pieces, sadly the original Kew Gardens one still eludes me.

Going further back, Brooke Bond tea cards were a passion of mine. As we're Mars Attacks cards, which are worth a few bob nowadays. Unfortunately many years ago my parents decided to declutter their house and these treasures were lost forever.

I know the feeling.

I had a whole season of programs (inc the Real Madrid one) and a load of good quality DC comics -Superman, Batman etc.
    My mum decided I was too old to bother with them when I was at uni in the mid 70s...

Not enough funds but if things were different - I'd like to collect classic watches.

I used to collect beermats when I was a kid in the 70's. I had the four walls of my bedroom covered in them, and stuck on with blue tack.

I've also got two suitcases full of City programmes, home and away. Mainly from the 1960's til 1990 ish. A few from the 1950's and a few from 1990 onwards, but not that many.

They were my Dads who followed City home and away for a few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I know the feeling.

I had a whole season of programs (inc the Real Madrid one) and a load of good quality DC comics -Superman, Batman etc.
    My mum decided I was too old to bother with them when I was at uni in the mid 70s...
    Superman, Batman comics bring back good memories for me. I never collected them myself but my mate next door did and we would spend sunny afternoons on top of his outhouse in Llanrumney reading them. Think my favourite was Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post

I have got 30 odd guitars around the place, which is probably a bit excessive!

Would love to be able to afford some proper old vintage pieces though.

My first thought was I don't collect anything, but I suppose I do collect Rothmans/Sky Football Yearbooks and Wisdens. I've bought every single Rothmans since the first one was published in 1970, but, somehow, I've lost the one for 72/73 and, with many of them now falling to pieces, I would have thought their net worth could be measured in ten of pounds (and not many of them). On the other hand, my Wisdens are, mostly, in good condition - I've got every one going back to 1972 and the 2020 one arrived today. I'm always surprised by how they manage to get details of games played only six weeks or so before publication into it every year, but it shows how much the world has changed in a very short time that I've not come across a single mention of corona virus in it so far - sadly, I think the 2021 Almanac will be by far the thinnest in the last half century and more when it comes out.

Still got a decent collection of Brooke Bond albums and cards somewhere - maybe 30+ complete books, and other cards without albums. Also used to collect stamps and beer mats as a kid but not any more.

Up until about 8 years ago I was collecting car brochures, mainly prestige and supercars, I did have a collection of about 400 but have shipped quite a few now. The rarer types are quite valuable (Koenigsegg, Bugatti, Lister, Maybach etc), but ironically some of the mass produced car brochures of the seventies are now very collectable (Lada, Triumph, Austin, Skoda). They are much harder to get hold of these days with some prestige manufacturers even only having electronic offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Up until about 8 years ago I was collecting car brochures, mainly prestige and supercars, I did have a collection of about 400 but have shipped quite a few now. The rarer types are quite valuable (Koenigsegg, Bugatti, Lister, Maybach etc), but ironically some of the mass produced car brochures of the seventies are now very collectable (Lada, Triumph, Austin, Skoda). They are much harder to get hold of these days with some prestige manufacturers even only having electronic offerings.
    That got me 'Googling' and you can pick up this beaut for just under £3 Million:

https://www.hrowen.co.uk/bugatti/use...e-id_1799.aspx

I collect sneakers and CDs, would love to get into vinyl and get a proper setup

Heavy rock and metal cds

Heavy rock and metal t shirts

Back copies of men only

Collectors are a pain to those who have to disperse their belongings when the balloon goes up.

I have collections of:
    Wargames figures (across a broad range of periods)
    F1 race advertising posters
    Militaria (mainly swords and bayonets although my most prized piece is a Napoleonic musket)
    Football programmes, although I digitised them years ago due to the space they took up.

The toilet roll collectors are keeping quiet!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Still got a decent collection of Brooke Bond albums and cards somewhere - maybe 30+ complete books, and other cards without albums. Also used to collect stamps and beer mats as a kid but not any more.
    Probably about 15 years ago I came across a Brooke Bond collectibles site and decided to replace the cards and albums my parents threw out many years before. Got about 10 sets dated between 1959 and the late 60's. Brought back some great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The toilet roll collectors are keeping quiet!
    😂

Anything to do with World Cup mascots, loads of shit, some of it worth a couple of quid. My favourite is Naranjito (An orange in a spain kit) From the 82 world cup, got way to much of stuff related to that fat orange. Have a stack of prints from the 82 world cup as well.

[QUOTE=Tuerto;5064170]Anything to do with World Cup mascots, loads of shit, some of it worth a couple of quid. My favourite is Naranjito (An orange in a spain kit) From the 82 world cup, got way to much of stuff related to that fat orange. Have a stack of prints from the 82 world cup as well.[/QUOT

Still got my World Cup Willie badge from 1966. How sad is that lol.

60s Soul 7" vinyl records, both for collecting and DJ use