+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CITY DEFEATS THAT HURT THE MOST

Re: CITY DEFEATS THAT HURT THE MOST

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Stoke play-off for me, even the Blackpool defeat didn't come close.

Same. Stoke. Never felt so gutted at a game before or since.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    May 1982 losing to luton town to relegate us is etched in ones memory

then like alot of people years later the stoke city play offs
    Blackpool followed by Hamburg. Can't watch Blackpool game past City winning 2-1 even now. Re. Luton, they were already promoted. In the 1st 15 minutes the Luton defence "obligingly" opened up 3 times with City having 3 1-on-1's with their keeper. Dave Bennett missed two of them, can't recall who missed the 3rd. The ball was bobbling all over the place - due to the Rugby League having been played on it a few days before.

Stoke . End off. What made it worse , I was living just off Manor Way at the time and I could see their coaches pass my house on the way to the millennium stadium. Took me months to get over , on par with Romania/Wales

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Blackpool probably, but for sheer numb anguish afterwards, the Wolves game in our promotion season where we missed 2 pens in injury time will stay with me forever. I've never been in a stand filled with such disbelieving silence than I have at the end of that game, it looked like everybody had their hands on their heads.
    Christ I completely forgot about that. Maybe it's that, I had put that out of my mind, horrible feeling after the game... remember walking back with some mates who weren't big city fans but got tickets via the promotion they put on, they didn't say a word to me for a good 20 mins. Seldom been so angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    There've been so many but that 5-1 v Sheff stands out. No radio coverage, was phoning from call box on Station Rd Llandaff to get updates. Gutted for days.
    Doubly bad day for me that day, not only was it a gutting result I also had my car nicked from behind the City Hall.

Wolves was a nightmare but I knew that team would bounce back.

Blackpool whole season ended there and then.

Stoke #1
    Blackpool #2

Let’s be honest we can all name an obscure game or one in the past where we’d just missed promotion or got relegated but there’s only one game we should all reference - the Blackpool play off final. We should have won that game ,if we had then there would have been none of the red nonsense, good friends and one of my sons wouldn’t have given up supporting City and what wouldn’t we have all given to see that Dave a Jones side with Chopra Bothroyd McCormack and Ledley playing in the top league and attacking teams

The play off Stoke defeat was painful but we rectified that the following year and wouldn’t have had the wonderful day out in Cardiff for the QPR final the following year without it

The impact of the Blackpool defeat was awful on the day and had serious repercussions that in some cases ( of fans staying away because of the red) we,ve never recovered from

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Let’s be honest we can all name an obscure game or one in the past where we’d just missed promotion or got relegated but there’s only one game we should all reference - the Blackpool play off final. We should have won that game ,if we had then there would have been none of the red nonsense, good friends and one of my sons wouldn’t have given up supporting City and what wouldn’t we have all given to see that Dave a Jones side with Chopra Bothroyd McCormack and Ledley playing in the top league and attacking teams

The play off Stoke defeat was painful but we rectified that the following year and wouldn’t have had the wonderful day out in Cardiff for the QPR final the following year without it

The impact of the Blackpool defeat was awful on the day and had serious repercussions that in some cases ( of fans staying away because of the red) we,ve never recovered from
    Blackpool for me by some distance. I just couldn't see us losing that game, it's not very often we go into a game as favourites where i consider us superior. That defeat really hurt. The Stoke game was a semi final so it wasn't a foregone conclusion that we'd go up anyway as we'd have had to get through the final. The team that lost to Blackpool were ready for the jump, the fans were ready. That was the worst for me by a long stretch.

51 seasons to choose from and many games which are just a blur but Blackpool at Wembley is a scar and a travesty.