+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CITY DEFEATS THAT HURT THE MOST

CITY DEFEATS THAT HURT THE MOST

This is not a room and gloom thread but out of interest which City defeats hurt the most at the time.

The reason I ask is that on Good Friday back in 1969, the weather was beautiful, much like today, and City were playing away to Charlton , possibly an 11am kick off. We were riding high in the league, with promotion to the First Division a distinct possibility. I returned from the shops and turned on the TV (might have been Grandstand) and was horrified to see we had been thumped 4-1. It was hard to put into words how deflated I felt.

Similarly the Stoke defeat in the play-off semi-final and of course the Blackpool game at Wembley gave me the feeling that no football fan wants to experience.

Re: CITY DEFEATS THAT HURT THE MOST

And not forgetting the last minute heartbreak against Hamburg.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    This is not a room and gloom thread but out of interest which City defeats hurt the most at the time.

The reason I ask is that on Good Friday back in 1969, the weather was beautiful, much like today, and City were playing away to Charlton , possibly an 11am kick off. We were riding high in the league, with promotion to the First Division a distinct possibility. I returned from the shops and turned on the TV (might have been Grandstand) and was horrified to see we had been thumped 4-1. It was hard to put into words how deflated I felt.

Similarly the Stoke defeat in the play-off semi-final and of course the Blackpool game at Wembley gave me the feeling that no football fan wants to experience.
    I didn't speak to anyone for a week after the Stoke defeat. I think that was the worst one for me.

Stoke play-off for me, even the Blackpool defeat didn't come close.

May 1982 losing to luton town to relegate us is etched in ones memory

then like alot of people years later the stoke city play offs

God, that brings back memories, I think Derek Showers scored for us. Still can’t remember how I got there as a 14 year old lad, must have been on the train but not a football special as a crowd of us City fans crossed London after the game and watched Chelsea beat Newcastle 2-0 on the Shed in the afternoon. “The Shed’s Got A Ball” was a chant that a few of us have reminisced over from that day. Charlton battered us and the Valley Slope is an everlasting memory of that Good Friday morning. Where have the years gone eh?

Getting trounced by Ipswich in our last game at Ninian Park, on our way to plummeting out the play offs, was a huge let down for me

You can tell from my previous post that I’ve been knocking about for a few seasons, I’ve obviously had many an upsetting defeat but it’s a recent one that sticks in my craw, Fulham away last season. That result made me more angry than hurt, Warnock spewed it with his approach and actions during the game, I could have cheerfully throttled him!!!!!

I got over the Stoke game quite quickly. The Blackpool game was awful and I believe had we gone up the rebrand nonsense wouldn't have happened or they would've had a trickier time justifying it. If we'd won it would have been proper delirium - the promotions since just didn't have the same effect.

Despite not expecting to win, losing the FA and League Cup finals hurt, especially the latter given how we fought.

For a leftfield example, I'd say Cardiff 1 Shrewsbury 2 in 1995. It meant we were destined for relegation and there was a real feeling of doom that I hadn't experienced before.

BTW It's okay to be a doom and gloom merchant isn't it? I thought the default mode for a football fan was negative/pessimistic/worrisome, especially given what we have to endure.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    God, that brings back memories, I think Derek Showers scored for us. Still can’t remember how I got there as a 14 year old lad, must have been on the train but not a football special as a crowd of us City fans crossed London after the game and watched Chelsea beat Newcastle 2-0 on the Shed in the afternoon. “The Shed’s Got A Ball” was a chant that a few of us have reminisced over from that day. Charlton battered us and the Valley Slope is an everlasting memory of that Good Friday morning. Where have the years gone eh?
    Too true ! Although I didn't go to the game I was surprised when you said that Derek Showers scored. Apparently he joined us the year after in 1970. Yet another City forward who couldn't score in a brothel lol

FA Cup final. Granted I was 12, I remember having a little cry after it

Everything else has just been like water off a ducks back.

Too true ! Although I didn't go to the game I was surprised when you said that Derek Showers scored. Apparently he joined us the year after in 1970. Yet another City forward who couldn't score in a brothel lol
    Showers scored in the 2-0 away win in 1976. First game of the season. Baking hot and the Wurzels had their first game in First Division the same day when they beat Arsenal. The service stations of the M4 were interesting to say the least that day!

As for deflating games, as well as those mentioned the 3-0 defeat at home to Middlesborough was up there.

This could be a long thread.....

Senior moment, of course it wasn’t Showers, I believe he played in the ‘71 Youth Cup Final. Maybe he was on the same train as me, being a year older

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Showers scored in the 2-0 away win in 1976. First game of the season. Baking hot and the Wurzels had their first game in First Division the same day when they beat Arsenal. The service stations of the M4 were interesting to say the least that day!

As for deflating games, as well as those mentioned the 3-0 defeat at home to Middlesborough was up there.
    In fact he scored both goals in the 2-0 win that day. Cant remember if he was playing instead of Alston or Evans but he came up with the goods that day. That was my first visit to London and loved every minute of it. I remember bumping into some wurzels on the tube who were cock a hoop as they had just won at Arsenal.

The losses though Stoke was hideous, but the trip home after the Blackpool game was the worst.

And not forgetting the last minute heartbreak against Hamburg.
    That's the one I remember the worst......agonising......

The original poster mentions 1968/69 when we went on a terrible run of away results that cost us promotion. Two year later we lost at home to Watford ,0-1, when we were destined to go up and then had to go to Sheffield United and win, we lost 5-1, I think Gill Reece got two of them!

1974/5 drawing at home to Bristol Rovers 2-2, with a late equaliser from Welshman Frankie Prince which basically sent us down.

1981/82 to luton too 2-3 at Home, Andy Dibble's debut.

Other relations too but the Stoke and Blackpool games are up there too.

I also remember being very sad watching our first game in Division 4 in 1986. 0-0 v Rochdale I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    That's the one I remember the worst......agonising......
    Probably the only time I had a little cry at a City game. I was more or less behind the goal on the Grange End, the opposite end that Hamburg scored their winner. There was a hushed silence around the ground when it went in as 43,000 hearts were broken.

Stoke and Blackpool play offs are by far the worst I've experienced. With Blackpool probably taking it fairly comfortably.

Cup finals are up there. Despite having little optimism we would win either match, by the end I came away feeling we could have won both and had let an amazing opportunity just pass us by in the pompey game and perhaps some luck and definitely awful pens for Liverpool.

Blackpool though, all that expectation, hope, optimism, torn apart. Then the journey home.

every single one

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    every single one
    stand out though was Blackpool

Blackpool. Its not even close.

I still get angry thinking about Dave feckin Jones and bringing on Etuhu.

FA Cup final. Unfortunately, I had a brilliant view of Pompey's goal. If I close my eyes it just continually replays like it's on a loop. But, one of my proudest moments as a City fan, too. After the final whistle hardly anyone left and the singing continued for a while as the players went around the pitch. Then it went quiet. XXXX it thinks I. We're only here once for an FA cup final in a lifetime. "You are are my sunshine" I belted out on my own. Few lads around me joined in, then more, then more. It seemed like everyone joined in. Hairs standing on the back of my arm thinking about it.

Probably the Cup finals. Would have loved to have won one of them as they dont come along that often.

Playoff losses hurt, but you know you'll get another chance the following season.

I was only 12 when we lost to Hamburg and so I don't think that hurt for me as it did with adults, my Dad for example.

I think it's Stoke because I was not considering defeat at all that night.