+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long do you think before normal holidays are allowed to resume?

How long do you think before normal holidays are allowed to resume?

Jet 2 have cancelled holidays before 16th June, but after that so far they are going ahead, surely they will have to cancel until November or beyond?

Re: How long do you think before normal holidays are allowed to resume?

I was looking at end of September/October

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    Jet 2 have cancelled holidays before 16th June, but after that so far they are going ahead, surely they will have to cancel until November or beyond?
    August, at a guess, but maybe not a uniform opening of all destinations at the same time. I was due to fly with Jet2 on June14th...so I can fly back!

we were due to go to Cyprus on 29th June with jet2..obviously got cancelled..they've offered us to rebook..so we looked at Sept 4th..the exact same holiday..flight times etc...£200 more each..rip off *****

I'm sure a lot of people over 50 with health conditions won't fancy jumping on a plane abroad anytime soon?

Maybe the Uk will have a boom time when the conditions are lifted?

I'm sure a lot of people over 50 with health conditions won't fancy jumping on a plane abroad anytime soon?

Maybe the Uk will have a boom time when the conditions are lifted?
    Although I do feel the tourist areas have been a bit hypocritical, basically saying feck off we don't want you here, and in the future, they will probably be begging people to visit?

i have hopes for the start of Aug, though disney parks ceo has said " when they reopen it will be a completely different experience and heavily trimmed back ", so not sure i want to pay champagne money for a lemonade experience

Although I do feel the tourist areas have been a bit hypocritical, basically saying feck off we don't want you here, and in the future, they will probably be begging people to visit?
    Not really. Protecting human lives comes first but when the danger has passed people have to make a living.

my ex-next door neighbour moved to cornwall agreed and argued this point, he had said the police ( he is a policeman ) have had a number of complaints about locals abusing 2nd home owners who have headed to cornwall when we entered " lockdown ", these same people when this is over will be wanting all the money the 2nd home owners spend in the area, when he points this out, the locals do not appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    my ex-next door neighbour moved to cornwall agreed and argued this point, he had said the police ( he is a policeman ) have had a number of complaints about locals abusing 2nd home owners who have headed to cornwall when we entered " lockdown ", these same people when this is over will be wanting all the money the 2nd home owners spend in the area, when he points this out, the locals do not appreciate it
    The locals aren't really being hypocritical in their disdain towards people coming down who could bring the virus in and then taking their money for goods. It's a completely separate argument.

2nd home owners going now = increased risk of spreading covid-19
    2nd home owners going after = lower if no risk of spreading covid-19

Your ex-neighbour seems to ignore that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The locals aren't really being hypocritical in their disdain towards people coming down who could bring the virus in and then taking their money for goods. It's a completely separate argument.
    In his eyes its not, we discussed it for a while, his argument is that locals cannot have both, they dont like 2nd home owners anyway

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    2nd home owners going now = increased risk of spreading covid-19
    2nd home owners going after = lower if no risk of spreading covid-19

Your ex-neighbour seems to ignore that.
    see above, he mentioned the people who live in cornwall / devon thursday to monday and london in the week, just as much risk of spreading it when they returned to cornwall after a working week

I think it is right that the areas of England with the highest number of second homes (or highest % of homes being second homes) are the same areas that have had the biggest cuts in the NHS and other health/care resources since 2010 - local hospitals closed, A&E depts closed, pharmacies closed. So it is not just about the risk of bringing the virus - it is also the pressure on local services. Also local shops and petrol stations that are cleaned out because second home occupancy has gone up way above normal. Local resentment is no surprise.

I think the 2020 spring summer autumn season is a write off.

Have a holiday booked in August. No chance of going.

i have hopes for the start of Aug, though disney parks ceo has said " when they reopen it will be a completely different experience and heavily trimmed back ", so not sure i want to pay champagne money for a lemonade experience
    Disney say they are opening June 1st don’t they? Be amazed if that happens. International travel will have to start happening soon ish like July time else they’ll probably all go under anyway. Hard to imagine anyone being able to fly about unless it’s known they are corona free but how can they implement this? Think it would have to get going by July time else many tour ops, airlines etc may have already gone under. Have a feeling uk holidays will be the main thing this summer with many not wanting to risk going abroad. Get booking now is my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think the 2020 spring summer autumn season is a write off.

Have a holiday booked in August. No chance of going.
    i agree, this year is a write off.
    let's hope that next year we can return to something like normal

Had a Butlins weekend booked for next week, got it moved back to late July.

Should be ok. Given the hygiene standards there, covid-19 doesn't stand a chance.

I had a trip to Norway booked recently that was cancelled obviously.

But I see that Heathrow still have many flights every hour leaving. Going to the US, Europe and internally to the UK.

What experience have you had with cancelled flights, hotels and holidays?

International

After god knows how many weeks of enforced holidays (idleness) how can people discuss where they want to go on holiday as soon as they get back to work???????

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Disney say they are opening June 1st don’t they? Be amazed if that happens. International travel will have to start happening soon ish like July time else they’ll probably all go under anyway. Hard to imagine anyone being able to fly about unless it’s known they are corona free but how can they implement this? Think it would have to get going by July time else many tour ops, airlines etc may have already gone under. Have a feeling uk holidays will be the main thing this summer with many not wanting to risk going abroad. Get booking now is my advice.
    Yes and Universal parks are ( like you unsure it'll happen )

the Disney college program ( and the oversea's programs ) are re-hiring from 1st Aug, now thats upto 10% of the staff, so i wonder if thats what Bob means ? ? ? will shows / parades be stopped, I went shortly after 9/11 and the place was empty, it wasnt much fun to be honest, just didnt have the " atmosphere "

Banned

I would imagine that the relaxation of international borders will be piecemeal, and amongst the last of the lockdown measures to be lifted. I wouldn't like to put a date on it, but holidays in the summer seems optimistic.

This is a tough one as If the government aren't satisfied that certain countries have stopped the virus they could put massive travel restrictions in.

It looks like the bigger tourists countries are the ones struggling. I think holiday providers are going to fall away and might see a lot fewer flights at much higher prices.

My mate who lives in northern Italy but has businesses here is hoping to fly back to uk early May, I would think this is unlikely as it’s one of the worst affected areas? would business travel be allowed first?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I think it is right that the areas of England with the highest number of second homes (or highest % of homes being second homes) are the same areas that have had the biggest cuts in the NHS and other health/care resources since 2010 - local hospitals closed, A&E depts closed, pharmacies closed. So it is not just about the risk of bringing the virus - it is also the pressure on local services. Also local shops and petrol stations that are cleaned out because second home occupancy has gone up way above normal. Local resentment is no surprise.

Pembrokeshire has lots of second homes and the place relies heavily on tourism, going to hit them hard this season if it’s a whitewash.
    The local hospital at withybush has almost closed and now has now a&e or maternity ward I think.....

See TBG's post above.