+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Any photographers? Advice on buying a DSLR

Any photographers? Advice on buying a DSLR

Happy to spend up to the equivalent of £750, but ideally don’t want to buy something with functionality I won’t use much...

Would like mire than 1 lens though...

Re: Any photographers? Advice on buying a DSLR

buy something that has the lowest noise at higher ISOs. I also recommend prime lenses, a 50mm f1.8 is a great investment for not a lot of money.
    Secondhand is often a good route, mpb photographic are brilliant. Look for a camera with as few acutations as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Happy to spend up to the equivalent of £750, but ideally don’t want to buy something with functionality I won’t use much...

Would like mire than 1 lens though...
    Buy any old cheap camera, pee into a cup, drink that pee, then pee that pee directly onto the cheap camera you bought, then bury it

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    buy something that has the lowest noise at higher ISOs. I also recommend prime lenses, a 50mm f1.8 is a great investment for not a lot of money.
    Secondhand is often a good route, mpb photographic are brilliant. Look for a camera with as few acutations as possible.
    Honestly.... that went miles over my head... I’m happy to go 2nd hand but at its most fundamental a brand and model would be helpful to get some insight on. Like I said though I would like to experiment with different lenses

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Buy any old cheap camera, pee into a cup, drink that pee, then pee that pee directly onto the cheap camera you bought, then bury it
    That’d probably be a waste of money and kill a new hobby before it even started.

Perhaps that was your underlying advice 🤣

Honestly.... that went miles over my head... I’m happy to go 2nd hand but at its most fundamental a brand and model would be helpful to get some insight on. Like I said though I would like to experiment with different lenses
    what are you looking to photograph?

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    what are you looking to photograph?
    Anything and everything... portraits ... scenery... wildlife

Start with something like a Canon 250D or a Nikon D5600. They can be bought as starter bundles. 18-55mm as standard + 75mm-300mm zoom. Buy a 50mm f1.8 & that gives you good coverage.

Sony & Fuji are excellent but £750 won't get you much. Have a look at mirrorless.

As someone above said seriously check out the second hand market. I buy all of my gear from MPB, virtually unused at a fraction of the price. Should be similar in Canada.

Anything and everything... portraits ... scenery... wildlife
    Des Parrot has given you some pretty good advice to be fair. I think you'll want a wide zoom (18-55) for landscapes, and a longer zoom (70-300) for wildlife.
    A prime lens (50mm) will give you the opportunity to get blurry backgrounds for portraits, but you have to move closer or further away from your subject as their fixed lenses.

I'm not sure about camera bodies I'm afraid, just be mindful if you start taking your photography seriously and buying expensive lenses it becomes very expensive if you wanted to swap from say Nikon to Canon!

As for Des Parrot above. I retired 5 years ago and bought a Nikon bundle - D5300, 18-55 mm lense and a 70 -300 mm zoom lense. For a keen amateur, that's most bases covered. Get an idiot guide book - 'Nikon 5300 for dummies' for example and you can choose your own rate of progress/level of expertise to aspire to. I'm still finding out things about my Nikon now! Enjoy!

Also recommend you have a look at some sites like http://www.steves-digicams.com/best-cameras and (in particular) https://kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Thank you all.... that is some excellent counsel.... Sincerely appreciate it

Nikon D7200 DSLR Camera Kit with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140MM f/ 3.5-5.6 VR Lens

Any views on this.... it’s refurbished and price is the equivalent of about £500

What ever you get, if you get in to it, you will always want something better. I have a D3100, but its not always about the camera, its also about 'the glass' you put on to it. I have a Tamron telephoto and a Nikon 'Nifty Fifty' both fab lenses with the latter giving superb quality and detail (mainly for portrait). I've been thinking of going mirrorless and full frame, which seems to offer better colour and sharper wider images. The one thing I would advise if buying second hand is ensure you know the camera is in good condition inside and out, as can get damp. Mbp are good and I have used them for lenses. The one thing I am crying out for is a swivel screen, as I love low level landscape photography and suffer to gut up and down at my age and weight.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Nikon D7200 DSLR Camera Kit with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140MM f/ 3.5-5.6 VR Lens

Any views on this.... it’s refurbished and price is the equivalent of about £500

The price seems low.

I’d always buy from a reputable supplier just in case of problems

Mbp or similar

Quote Originally Posted by Penywaun gentrified View Post
    As for Des Parrot above. I retired 5 years ago and bought a Nikon bundle - D5300, 18-55 mm lense and a 70 -300 mm zoom lense. For a keen amateur, that's most bases covered. Get an idiot guide book - 'Nikon 5300 for dummies' for example and you can choose your own rate of progress/level of expertise to aspire to. I'm still finding out things about my Nikon now! Enjoy!
    I have the same......must say i never really use it anymore (in fact hardly used at all), as my wife always take the photos with her iphone!!! Looking to sell if you are interested...pm me.
    If you are interestedy