Thread: First 10 Doctors To Sadly Die Were Asian

First 10 Doctors To Sadly Die Were Asian

Re: First 10 Doctors To Sadly Die Were Asian

All Asian? Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    All Asian? Are you sure?
    No

Asian, middle eastern and African …Those doctors have ancestry in regions including Asia, the Middle East and Africa. Even allowing for the overrepresentation of BAME staff in the NHS – they comprise 44% of medical staff compared with 14% of the population of England and Wales – the fact that they were all from ethnic minorities was “extremely disturbing and worrying”, the BMA chair said.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    All Asian? Are you sure?
    Sorry I meant to say BAME they were from :
    Bangladesh, Sudan, Nigeria, Sri Lanka Pakistan , Egypt, Syria, India, ( they were the first ten doctors to due though , which is a weird one , however some were in their 70's )

The times also has an article on this one

Birmingham QEH Hospital has a high percentage of 35 to 40% admissions were from BAME backgrounds, might explain why London is being hard hit ??

British Medical Association is calling for an enquiry?

Think there is a worry that Ramadan is near and and it increases community type of events and that might invite further spread in their communities ??

The virus ( sadly ) does seem to be disproportionate , effecting those who are within the BAME communities, those who are obese and the elderly.

I've also read reports from America saying that the Afro American population over there is suffering disproportionately - the more affluent European countries and the USA have borne the brunt of the virus so far, but the emerging news from here and America makes it sounds like things could get a lot worse if and when it gets established in places like India, central Asia and Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've also read reports from America saying that the Afro American population over there is suffering disproportionately - the more affluent European countries and the USA have borne the brunt of the virus so far, but the emerging news from here and America makes it sounds like things could get a lot worse if and when it gets established in places like India, central Asia and Africa.
    Would imagine that they are more likely to live in inner cities, meaning more dense population. That seems to be a major factor in new York being so badly affected

Banned

A report yesterday put 1/3rd of people requiring treatment in the UK as being BAME. The BAME population in the UK is roughly about 12% which suggests that this community are also suffering disproportionally in the UK. However, considering that a high percentage of UK cases are in London, where the BAME population is roughly 55-60%. I am wondering is it possible that the reason for the disproportional distribution of cases is simply because there is a larger BAME community (as a % of population) in large population areas compared to less densely populated areas?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Would imagine that they are more likely to live in inner cities, meaning more dense population. That seems to be a major factor in new York being so badly affected
    You may be right, but, I would have thought that statisticians would be able to factor in things like that and so I'm not sure it would have that big an effect with it came to something like proportionality.

https://www.runnymedetrust.org/blog/...e-inequalities

Interesting article on some of the reasons why it may effect minority groups disproportionately.

Isn't there disproportionate health differences anyway?

Sickle cell anemia, Tay-Sachs for example are more prominent in certain ethnicities.

Equally, traditional native diets can also increase health issues...

It could well be the case infection rates are broadly similar, with the exception of densely populated places where the demographics are skewed, but additional factors such as underlying issues cause more fatalities?

The way they greet each other ?

Italians who have been decimated by the virus usually kiss each other on the cheek. Stick on for transmitting the disease, I would have thought.

Arabs certainly do similar .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

Italians who have been decimated by the virus usually kiss each other on the cheek. Stick on for transmitting the disease, I would have thought.

It has to be a factor.

Possibly that's one of many factors - diet, genetics etc playing a higher part.

We're not talking about infection rates differing, we're talking mortality rates.

Greeting by kissing would affect transmission rate, not mortality rates per se.

I had a lot of Japanese visitors to my home (and once visited Japan myself) and one thing I noticed was their reticence to touch handrails.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    This has more to do with economics than race. African Americans and Hispanics are disproportionally underprivileged so therefor disproportionally affected by things like this. A lot of them won't have cars, access to large supermarkets etc or much spare money to "stock-up". Most New Yorkers would shop for food every other day or so because you can only take home what you can carry. Also, there's often not much room to store things outside of the fridge, maybe one or two cupboards for dry goods. And nowhere to store things like 18 packs of TP or 6 packs of paper towels. (how would you carry them home anyway) I should imagine many of them are without things like bleach by now too. Also, social distancing in an NYC grocery store is next to impossible.

Aren’t we on a similar trajectory to Italy now though

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Aren’t we on a similar trajectory to Italy now though
    London might be.....Wales ain’t

No

Asian, middle eastern and African …Those doctors have ancestry in regions including Asia, the Middle East and Africa. Even allowing for the overrepresentation of BAME staff in the NHS – they comprise 44% of medical staff compared with 14% of the population of England and Wales – the fact that they were all from ethnic minorities was “extremely disturbing and worrying”, the BMA chair said.
    I do agree , and they couldn't be accounted as poverty impact that some are suggesting is having an impact with Corvid 19 ?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Big cities, overcrowding , greater risk spread, geographical its striking ,look at some of our further outlying areas like NI , Cornwall, more rural less spread

Theres been a fair few fatalities in Scotland.. Do they still greet each other with a Glasgow kiss?

Unless you think English people in London are kissing people more than in wales, or you think they have differences in their DNA how is that relevant ?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Theres been a fair few fatalities in Scotland.. Do they still greet each other with a Glasgow kiss?
    Were they wearing kilts ?

Newport is a problem, was it the Treviso game that did it ?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I know one of them and he is from a suburban area

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Isn't there disproportionate health differences anyway?

Sickle cell anemia, Tay-Sachs for example are more prominent in certain ethnicities.

Equally, traditional native diets can also increase health issues...

It could well be the case infection rates are broadly similar, with the exception of densely populated places where the demographics are skewed, but additional factors such as underlying issues cause more fatalities?
    Deficiencies in Vitamin D.